The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

4 hours ago, Xann said:

People that buy opera don't buy Bocelli. People that buy opera compilations do.

He's for aunties, the elderly and those that think Andrew Lloyd Webber and Andre Rieu are culture.

Rieu <Shudders>

However in fairness I have heard that he treats his musicians well and pays them properly which sadly these days is better than most of these 'acts.'

20 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Sky Arts do some decent music shows. As for Buddy Rich, hugely influential. 

Bill Ward got a lot of coverage and was interviewed at length - I think you are a Sabbath fan aren't you ?

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Bill Ward got a lot of coverage and was interviewed at length - I think you are a Sabbath fan aren't you ?

Sabbath is my middle name. Yes, Bill is a huge fan of his. I think most drummers from that era drew influence from Buddy Rich. 

image.jpg.ac65ac84f0fe255d6b475796fc467f57.jpg

The HeliosCentric Helios console: Constructed in 1996 through an amalgamation of part of the Island Records Basing Street Studio 2 Helios Console (1970-1974) used by artists such as; Led Zeppelin to record their 'Album IV' which includes the timeless hit "Stairway To Heaven", and Bob Marley & The Wailers to record the albums 'Burnin' and 'Catch a Fire'; with the other part being from Alvin Lee's Helios console from Space Studios (1973-1979); with the final construction installed at HeliosCentric Studios (1996-present),
the Island Records Helios section was used by a wealth of musicians including; Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley and The Wailers, Jimi Hendrix, Cat Stevens, Eric Clapton, Sly Stone, Jimmy Cliff, Harry Nilsson, Jeff Beck, Humble Pie, Mott The Hoople, David Bowie, Free, The Rolling Stones, Mud, Steve Winwood, and the Alvin Lee section used by; George Harrison, Ron Wood, Steve Winwood, Tim Hinckley, Boz Burrel, Jim Capaldi, Mick Fleetwood and Joe Brown. The HeliosCentric console in its composition as it is now was used by; Paul Weller, Supergrass, Sia, Keane, Athlete, The Feeling, KT Tunstall, Turin Brakes, Squeeze, Paolo Nutini, Dido, Gary Barlow, David Gray, Royworld, Toploader, Marti Pellow and the Pet Shop Boys - among others.

For Sale! Bonhams
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, veloman said:

Was that the instrument used in a cult 60's number called 'Do you Believe in Magic' by the Lovin' Spoonful' ? Probably before most people's time on here !!!

Autoharp I think?

I like this album.

15 minutes ago, veloman said:

Was that the instrument used in a cult 60's number called 'Do you Believe in Magic' by the Lovin' Spoonful' ? Probably before most people's time on here !!!

John Sebastian on the autoharp. Great song. 

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:19, mjmooney said:

John Sebastian on the autoharp. Great song. 

What a brilliant clip Mr Mooney. Interesting on a number of level: lovely Ludwig kit - worth a fortune now; they cock the count-in up - I thought only I used to do this !!! That is a fast shuffle he is playing and notice that his ride cymbal slips - that happened years ago but todays' hardware is much better. And what about those Gibson guitars !!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

You should just get @lapal_fan and @Paddywhack to write your set for you Mike.

There's a small part of me (and Paddy I suspect) which would love to give it a go, but 95% of my body would be scared shitless and would worry what people think of me :lol: 

Paddy is way braver, he fights crime on buses and sings karaoke. 

That said, I really enjoyed being rob182 and paddy's best man, because I could be stupid, and because Rob got married last, I went full on retard :crylaugh:  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm doing another one of those open mic shows tomorrow night. We've been told to bring jokes as well as songs. 

I shall be raiding the VT jokes thread for material. 

"I went for a vasectomy the other day because I decided I didn't want kids..

But they were still there when I got home"

*drop mic*

*drop trousers*

*make Eiffel tower out of genitals*

*annouce next act*

*shuffle off stage right with your pants round your ankles" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

That said, I really enjoyed being rob182 and paddy's best man, because I could be stupid, and because Rob got married last, I went full on retard :crylaugh:  

Oh, that was an act?

I think @TheAuthority may have been mocking us, you know. Jokes on him, he's just welcomed us to a whole new thread for us to be daft in! 

tenor.gif?itemid=10510352 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â