The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

8 minutes ago, veloman said:

I saw Bootys Rubber Band at the Odeon  in New Street many years ago; I think he was on with RAYDIO (Ray Parker Jnr). I can confidently say it was the loudest bass I have EVER heard. And it must be remembered :- that I am half deaf any way through spending some years sitting in front of 2 Marshall bass cabs - and - I have seen Motorhead !!!! Anyone who ever saw Lemmy might know what I mean !

Loudest I ever heard was Jack Bruce. 

Yep, I saw Cream every time they came to the West Midlands including such refined venues as :- Willenhall Baths, The Swan at Yardley and The Adelphi in West Brom. He was loud but nothing like Bootsy - it actually became discordant (IMO).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just discovered an interesting YouTube channel: Telefunken Studios Live From The Lab. It's a bunch of live performances by (mostly unknown) artists, broadly in the Americana genre (folk, country, rock, soul, etc.) But what's different about it is that you can download the performances (without having the paid version of YT) as a set of individual stem tracks. You can then load them into your DAW and do your own remixes - or (what occurred to me) sample the drum tracks to make your own loops. Fun stuff. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our new vinyl pressing service streamlines the financing, production, and fulfillment of vinyl records. With no up-front investment, an artist or label can create a vinyl campaign and start taking orders almost immediately. Once they reach their minimum goal, we press their records and ship them to their fans.

The new service eliminates risk, since fans’ orders finance the pressing, rather than the artist or label. It eliminates hassle, since we press the records, print the packaging, and ship to fans (and fulfill digital too). It offers complete control, with the design and pricing up to the artist, and Bandcamp taking no ownership of the record. And it produces a quality result: our manufacturing partner has over 60 years experience pressing vinyl, so the records look, and sound, great.

The Bandcamp vinyl service will open to all artists and labels later this year, but today we’re launching four pilot campaigns that provide an idea of what’s possible.

Bandcamp

• 3 weeks later...

"Mason , Capaldi and Frog". Wonder if that is Wynder K Frog, cult keyboard player from late 60's (I think). Made  a great single called Sunshine Superfrog - based on the Donovan number. And 'Bakerloo' featured Clem Clempson from Tamworth.

Edited by veloman

39 minutes ago, veloman said:

"Mason , Capaldi and Frog". Wonder if that is Wynder K Frog, cult keyboard player from late 60's (I think). Made  a great singe called Sunshine Superfrog - based on the Donovan number. 

Yes it is (was). 

Just noticed this ; should be Alexis Korner ! Absolute heresy on the part of the agent for getting  that wrong. Very important figure of the 60's R & B scene. NB - Proper R& B  - not this garbage of today called R & B.

47 minutes ago, veloman said:

Just noticed this ; should be Alexis Korner ! Absolute heresy on the part of the agent for getting  that wrong. Very important figure of the 60's R & B scene. NB - Proper R& B  - not this garbage of today called R & B.

Worked with his son, Damian.

Damian had a mental childhood. Everyone passed through their home. Stones, Cream, Led Zepp, Small Faces and plenty, plenty others. That's impressive enough, but it doesn't touch on the US talent! Muddy Waters was his sister Sappho's godfather and the occasional Jazz giant would stop by 😮 

Alexis was a fine catalyst then ambassador for the UK blues scene. It's fair to say he was rather better in these rolls than he was on guitar.

• Like 2

Â