The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

14 hours ago, Xann said:

Worked with his son, Damian.

Damian had a mental childhood. Everyone passed through their home. Stones, Cream, Led Zepp, Small Faces and plenty, plenty others. That's impressive enough, but it doesn't touch on the US talent! Muddy Waters was his sister Sappho's godfather and the occasional Jazz giant would stop by 😮 

Alexis was a fine catalyst then ambassador for the UK blues scene. It's fair to say he was rather better in these rolls than he was on guitar.

Anybody want to buy my original vinyl copy of this? 

alexis-korner-s-blues-incorporated-rb-from-the-marquee-.jpg

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No, but if you want to sell your Honeybus CD? I'm listening :)

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

alexis-korner-s-blues-incorporated-rb-from-the-marquee-.jpg

I had that LP; a bit of a classic in it's day. I think that is the great Cyril Davies on the right and Dick Heckstall Smith with the sax. Might have been Terry Cox (late of Chris Barber ) on drums - but it was rather a long time ago now.

4 hours ago, veloman said:

I had that LP; a bit of a classic in it's day. I think that is the great Cyril Davies on the right and Dick Heckstall Smith with the sax. Might have been Terry Cox (late of Chris Barber ) on drums - but it was rather a long time ago now.

The drummer was one Graham Burbidge (about whom I know nothing). Otherwise, correct.  

• 2 weeks later...

Reckon most of us know that the pipe organ has been around a while, being in churches and classical music.

Someone asked me where the first one was and I didn't know.

It turns out they're well over 2000 years old, invented in the 3rd Century BC by the Greek inventor and mathematician Ctesibius.

• Like 1

Repairman working on a 1960s synth accidentally got super high on LSD

By Rianna ManuelNews

When working on a standard clean and restore project, you don’t expect to accidentally get super high on 50-year-old LSD. But that’s exactly what happened for one repairman working on a vintage Buchla Model 100 modular synthesiser.

Eliot Curtis was recently given the job of restoring the vintage synth, which had been stored in a dark room at Cal State University East Bay since the 1960s. But after cracking off the front of the unit to give it a clean, he began to majorly trip out.

After opening the Buchla, Curtis discovered a crystal-like substance that he attempted to clean off. Spraying it with a cleaning solvent, he then tried to dislodge it with his fingers. Then, around 45 minutes later, the fun really started. His body began to tingle, which then quickly dissolved into an epic nine-hour acid trip.

After testing, it was discovered that the substance was indeed vintage LSD. A researcher also revealed that LSD can lay dormant and potent if stored in a cool, dark place, and that it is possible to ingest it through the skin. So apparently Buchla synthesisers make the perfect storage for your psychedelics. Who knew?

The synth has since been thoroughly cleaned of all LSD and is back on track for its restoration. No say on where the drugs ended up though…

Link

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Similar tale when I was at Uni, they had Gus Dudgeon's old mixing desk and the tutor regaled us at length about just how many decade's worth of crusted up narcotics they had to clean out of the channel strips when they installed it.

• Like 1

My latest toy. Picked it up essentially to get a Boards Of Canada-esque detuned-warble sound straight out of the box, but the amount of weird shit it can do is mind-bogglingly intimidating. Looking forward to running some synths through it at some point.

The Ashcroft v Jagger/Richards battle finally ends. Would be interested to get an idea on how much Andrew Oldham has made over the years from the song.

For the last 22 years, The Verve haven't made a penny from Bittersweet Symphony, after forfeiting the royalties to The Rolling Stones.

The song was embroiled in a legal battle shortly after its release, after The Verve sampled an orchestral version of The Stones' song The Last Time.

As a result, writer Richard Ashcroft had to sign over his rights to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards - until now.

Speaking as he received a lifetime achievement prize at the Ivor Novello Awards, Ashcroft announced: "As of last month, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards signed over all their publishing for Bittersweet Symphony, which was a truly kind and magnanimous thing for them to do."

Ashcroft acknowledged that it was the Rolling Stones' late manager, Allen Klein, who had been responsible for the situation, rather than the musicians themselves.

"I never had a personal beef with the Stones," he told the BBC. "They've always have been the greatest rock and roll band in the world."

He went on to thank Jagger and Richards for acknowledging he was responsible "for this [expletive] masterpiece".

BBC link

Edited by Shropshire Lad

8 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The Ashcroft v Jagger/Richards battle finally ends. Would be interested to get an idea on how much Andrew Oldham has made over the years from the song.

I think Loog Oldham got no songwriting credits, but he got mechanical royalties for the string sample. Jagger & Richards got the writing credits, yet Ashcroft sampled the Loog Oldham cover of the Stones song. But the sample is basically entirely Loog Oldham's work, Jagger & Richards had nothing to do with the classic string piece that was sampled. Loog Oldham had to sue The Verve for his money I think.

Lots of people saying that Ashcroft now deservedly getting the credit back for Bittersweet Symphony, but without Loog Oldham's cover, Bittersweet Symphony would never have existed.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2019 at 04:21, MrDuck said:

I think Loog Oldham got no songwriting credits, but he got mechanical royalties for the string sample. Jagger & Richards got the writing credits, yet Ashcroft sampled the Loog Oldham cover of the Stones song. But the sample is basically entirely Loog Oldham's work, Jagger & Richards had nothing to do with the classic string piece that was sampled. Loog Oldham had to sue The Verve for his money I think.

Lots of people saying that Ashcroft now deservedly getting the credit back for Bittersweet Symphony, but without Loog Oldham's cover, Bittersweet Symphony would never have existed.

A quick summing up of the ins and outs of it. 

If this is correct (and having quickly looked around, initially it seems to be), the person who should have felt most hard done by is David Whitaker.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Xann said:

Those on Facebook. Record producer Sylvia Massy is selling an extraordinary collection of microphones 😮

62065442_10161792520070024_5697671965259595776_n.jpg.9a83b92cebcebbefd4335f9609310e07.jpg

Wow. Some awesome gear in that room! I'm particularly intrigued by the globe mic!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bonkers thing!a6cy870ay4usq5hoh1kf.jpg.d064954d3a6c1e59029aa3c2a201219c.jpg

Gamechanger Audio, the creators of PLUS and PLASMA concepts, present the MOTOR Synth! MOTOR Synth is the first electro-mechanical commercial desktop synthesizer. It combines the newest technology in flying drone and audio processing worlds. This is a completely unique musical instrument. It has actual electromotors as the main sound source! The MOTOR Synth is built to inspire the player and to be reliable and intuitive. It provides an undiscovered, immersive experience in music creation!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/motor-synth#/

• Confused 1

I'm going to pretend that this is music - it is something what I made on my modular synth. It's sort of a generative soundscape thing, although probably not totally generative because I suspect it is repetitive somehow (I have no true random voltage source)

Edited by Lichfield Dean
Embedding fix
  • Like 3

Anybody see that BBC4 programme on 'Yacht Rock'. Some class acts on there (IMO) . Doobies, Hall and Oates AND ..... Steely Dan '(natch) ! Any guitarists might find (have found) the clip of Jay Graydon (not Ray 😎) playing the solo to 'Peg'. As a mere drummer , it looks quite hard !!!!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, veloman said:

Anybody see that BBC4 programme on 'Yacht Rock'. Some class acts on there (IMO) . Doobies, Hall and Oates AND ..... Steely Dan '(natch) ! Any guitarists might find (have found) the clip of Jay Graydon (not Ray 😎) playing the solo to 'Peg'. As a mere drummer , it looks quite hard !!!!!!

Haven't watched it yet, but will. Funnily enough, my 31 year old daughter is massively into that era and genre. 

Â