The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Haven't watched it yet, but will. Funnily enough, my 31 year old daughter is massively into that era and genre. 

Excellent !! Mine does listen to it , indeed has been indoctrinated with Steely Dan since birth . But her tastes lie elsewhere; i.e. she has been at 'Download' this weekend ! Still, that's better than 'Snoop Dog' or 'Stormzy' I suppose !

• Like 1

Got a day off in Brum coming up next Wednesday, can anyone recommend me some good gear shops to check out?  Fancy drooling at some pedals (and inevitably upsetting my wife upon my return).

Don't think there's much doubt that Jacob Collier is one of the outstanding musical talents of the current generation.

He irritates the f*** out of me though.

I'd link his new recording of 'Moon River', but it's super annoying and I don't want to ever see it again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Xann said:

Don't think there's much doubt that Jacob Collier is one of the outstanding musical talents of the current generation.

I'd link his new recording of 'Moon River', but it's super annoying and I don't want to ever see it again.

Never heard of him, but that was interesting - made me wish I had that sort of command of music theory. 

• Like 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

Never heard of him, but that was interesting - made me wish I had that sort of command of music theory. 

He's too fookin clever.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 18/06/2019 at 13:10, Xann said:

It's hard not to feel an urge to kick him in the face, despite his genius. Moon River is about 1 or 2 minutes of beautiful harmonies, and 6 minutes of a homeschooled cult member wanking in your ear.

I think I've found the least annoying Jacob Collier song, though. Skip past the first minute, or you'll feel the urge to kill quite a lot of people. But it really is an amazing performance.

I’m useless with anything musical . I can’t even keep a drum beat. For a while now every time I listen to “Living in the past” by Jethro Tull I always listen to it with old villa clips in my head . For example games from the 70s when we won the league cups. The early 80s when we won the league and European cup . I have images in my head of Gary Shaw scoring, and Brian Little taking on players. Just old villa memories like that really, a bit like when you watch old montages of us and they show some of our glory days. Living in the past is a suitable title too imo , but it’s not solely the reason why it reminds me of Villa . Weird I know, but I’d love to make a video to that song and have it with old villa footage. I think it would be great. 

• Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 08:16, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m useless with anything musical . I can’t even keep a drum beat. For a while now every time I listen to “Living in the past” by Jethro Tull. 

I shouldn't worry about that; you have chosen quite a difficult number to keep time to. From memory, it isn't all in straight 4/4 time and contains odd bars. Try anything by Status Quo😁😁

18 minutes ago, veloman said:

I shouldn't worry about that; you have chosen quite a difficult number to keep time to. From memory, it isn't all in straight 4/4 time and contains odd bars. Try anything by Status Quo😁😁

5/4, if I remember correctly. 

On 21/08/2019 at 00:09, KentVillan said:

Skip past the first minute, or you'll feel the urge to kill quite a lot of people. But it really is an amazing performance.

Seen him live :( 

Quincy Jones sprung him on us at his Prom.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Haha. Why is he so annoying though? I want to like him.

The one man on the planet that actually needs a heroin habit.

Not a nasty nosedive to a tragic early grave or anything.

More managed over decades :)

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

5/4, if I remember correctly. 

Yep, I think you are right. OK then ; try Wuthering Heights (Kate Bush); I keep finding myself out of time in that number so what do you reckon the time signature is in that ? Incidentally, listen to the ace guitar solo at the end of the number; don't know who the guitarist is ... but probably not Ed Sheeran 😁

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your album popped up in the week in another group I follow that's dedicated to 60s and 70s rock.

3 hours ago, veloman said:

...don't know who the guitarist is ...

Ian Bairnson.

Â