For the history VTers - King Richard III found

islingtonclaret

Most VTers will probably ignore this, but for those who love a bit of history we've all probably noticed the Richard III headlines.

Considering I've read various stories about him being dragged around the streets of Leicester, being thrown in the river and his led coffin used as a horse trough not to mention character assassainations and muddled facts from the Tudor period...it's a miricle that they've actually found him. The guys that found the old documents about the priory must be pinching themselves!

Edited by bickster

Enjoyed the bloke on bbc breakfast this morning, saying with a delighted smile that he wasn't allowed to say if it was him or not until the official announcement. As if his huge grin didn't give it all away.

Apparently Leicester council are after him for his overdue parking fees.

See someone else posted that gag on the BBC comments section. It wasn't as good as a comment saying "there's no evidence, what a waste of time". To take DNA from a 500 year old skeleton and match it to a person in Canada following geneology and for the two to actually match doesn't seem to qualify as evidence to some

ATOS have claimed that he is fit for work

That one wasn't on there. B+

:-) my "toilet" one was of my own making ........ see my facebook for proof (and no not LibDem proof either) :-)

(Note: I think it's pretty amazing stuff that they have done this also)

anyhow back to the find itself  , it's quite an interesting find ,even had an arrow in it as per the accounts at the time

he has a bad press , what with the children in the tower stuff , but I read a decent article on him and his law reforms and  I guess it would have been interesting for one of those "what if's" that Mike hates so much :-)

THE skeleton of Richard III has vowed to re-boot the Wars of the Roses and slaughter his rivals to the throne. 

richskull.jpg

‘Also, I have no organs and am invincible’

The exhumed king said he was delighted to be back before pledging ‘a torrent of Lancastrian blood that will turn the mill-wheels of Preston’.

He added: “I want to check out the Leicester restaurant scene, catch up on some paperwork and then disembowel all those who would deny

my claim.

“I have also ordered a horse off the internet.”

The last king of the House of York revealed that having a curved spine and a club foot is a lot easier to cope with when you are just a

skeleton.

“The hunchback was mostly fat. Now it’s gone I’m very nimble. But I am still really angry, so I guess it wasn’t all about the hump.

“I’ve read a couple of articles saying that I was actually quite nice and that Shakespeare was unfair.

“He wasn’t. I am **** up and I am coming to get your children.”

Jane Thomson, from Stevenage, said: “Excellent. I was hoping this would activate some ancient curse that would wipe out half the

country.”

Richard III added: “My friend Dan Snow tells me you are now ruled by Germans. We shall see about that.”

Daily Mash, natch

Edited by mjmooney

http://youtu.be/UnXrrOxzZCE

Oh, and the Battle of Bosworth took place only about four miles (as the crow flies) from where I am sitting right now.  My parents did one of those genealogy things once and traced our ancestry back to another guy who died at at that battle (this fella) so it's kinda cool that something so monumental in British history is so close to home in more ways than one.  Massive congratulations to the people who made the discovery. 

I do think that he got bad press. In fact, I think he's the victim of probably one of the most successful propaganda campaigns ever undertaken. Strangely enough, if it hadn't been for Shakespeare's character assasaination for Elizabeth I, he probably would have been forgotton as an irrelivant caretaker. Richard believed (and probably now quite correctly) that the two princes in the tower were actually illegitimate. Henry VII's claim to the throne was, at any rate, much weaker than Richard's. Of course he ordered or even did the executions himself, but in the medieval context this is hardly the most tyranical act of the time. Elizabeth / Mary hung drew and quartered people for a lot less.

How you get from a bloke suicidally running into the main portion of Henry's army to try and face him to "a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse" really does show what the subsequent monarchs did to him.

• Like 1

I do think that he got bad press. In fact, I think he's the victim of probably one of the most successful propaganda campaigns ever undertaken. Strangely enough, if it hadn't been for Shakespeare's character assasaination for Elizabeth I, he probably would have been forgotton as an irrelivant caretaker. Richard believed (and probably now quite correctly) that the two princes in the tower were actually illegitimate. Henry VII's claim to the throne was, at any rate, much weaker than Richard's. Of course he ordered or even did the executions himself, but in the medieval context this is hardly the most tyranical act of the time. Elizabeth / Mary hung drew and quartered people for a lot less.

How you get from a bloke suicidally running into the main portion of Henry's army to try and face him to "a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse" really does show what the subsequent monarchs did to him.

well said sir. Pretty much my take on it

Â