The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Would not suprise me, but I don`t think we will see any more significant leaps in that department after a while. But premier league is the most prestigious and most watched football league in the world, so money and advertising just goes hand in hand. 

Again, I fail to see how appointing someone like sissoko would be wrong. If you go into an ownership without money to sustain the kind of pressure you could be faced with then you need to get out. The more and more I read about this whole thing it really just seems like he is trying to get the wages down so he can sell in the summer. As others have pointed out, it would explain a whole lot. I guess Randy sees the whole from his own perspective and feels that this gamble is worth it. If I invest more it could end up being lost cash as we might be relegated either way. That whole thought process points to that at least, I fail to see how someone truly believes you can stay up with kids at 15k wages right now. How you can dramatically change like that without repercussions. 

All in all, I think we can agree that he certainly does not care what we feel or anything specifically about this club. Maybe he did think he could make money on this, or get his name out there. Random speculations perhaps, but when you go into hibernation like he does, you have too make assumptions. Again, his fault.

If he wants to continue and he has concluded that he can only afford to pay championship wages and transfers, then that is the worst scenario. That means that nothing special will happen in the next window and so on. Either way, he is much to blame for the whole situation. No matter what is behind the scenes, management and players. 

Aren't average player salaries going to sky rocket in the PL next season anyway ?

70k a week could be the new average

Then club after club will go into administration. Its totally unsustainable as it is.

I agree, that will happen long term.  But there may be a few more years of expansion and ratcheting wages first.  And of course money being sucked up by agents, directors, media...

Randy reputedly used to drink in the Anglesea Arms down in South Kensington. Anyone been in there recently?

Might pop in on Wednesday

Look for people with an ankle tattoo. You may need to pretend to drop your keys, to get a close look.

Well if hes still got it, then it means he aint washed his feet for six years.

Aren't average player salaries going to sky rocket in the PL next season anyway ?

Then club after club will go into administration. Its totally unsustainable as it is.

You're completely wrong! What is unsustainable is having below average players on high wages who don't play or offer anything to the team. Players like Ireland, Bent, Warnock, Hutton, Beye, Sidwell, Shorey, Dunne(less so), N'Zogbia (he's been guilty at times), Given, Makoun, Heskey the list goes on of players brought for bigs fees on big wages and offer nothing to the team. I would rather have 4 Sissoko's on the team giving their all at 70 per week than one Ireland sat in the stands at 60 per week thinking out whether unicorns really exist???

Our problems for the whole of Lerner dictatorship has been giving the monkeys gold coins instead of the peanuts they deserve. It what did Leeds in paying over the top wages for shite players and Lerner has fallen into the same trap because he is just a silly little spoilt rich kid playing at business.

I rather Peter Risdale or the Venkys brouhgt us anyone but this idiot!!

I dont get it ?

Does he really think that we can be the only team in the PL ( the most skillful,prestigious,and supposidly best league ) in the world with players from lower divisions ????

I dont think that is how the PL got its reputation ?!

If getting wages down is the precursor to him leaving, or a requirement for him to have to sell then for me get rid of all the players because the sooner he leaves the better

I know he was looking to sell a couple of seasons back. He isn't actually seeking a buyer at present though, Villa isn't high on his to do list though.

If getting wages down is the precursor to him leaving, or a requirement for him to have to sell then for me get rid of all the players because the sooner he leaves the better

. He isn't actually seeking a buyer at present though, Villa isn't high on his to do list though.

Not publicly, but im pretty certain that if the right offer is made, hes gone.

Despite the last 3 seasons and our present opinion of where we are as a club, its still an attractive acquisition due to its history, tradition, size and potential. And that wont change whatever division we will be in. Will relegation make us more attractive?

. He isn't actually seeking a buyer at present though, Villa isn't high on his to do list though.

Despite the last 3 seasons and our present opinion of where we are as a club, its still an attractive acquisition due to its history, tradition, size and potential. And that wont change whatever division we will be in. Will relegation make us more attractive?

We are attractive, but at the right price. Randy wants to make back what he’s paid and put in. That is the problem, because at £200-£300 million Villa becomes less attractive. If Randy was realistic about it, then we would be sold pretty quickly.

If we were a London club, we would be an attractive proposition. But we are in the midlands. I think Randy has tried pretty hard to get investment, but nothing came of it. The big players will always go for a london club. I think the best we can hope for is that Randy sells to someone who knows how to run a football club, raher than a mega rich owner who is prepared to throw millions at it.

Perhaps, but we are still one of the giants in english football and never forget that. As it have been pointed out, Everton - Aston Villa is the most played match in the top series. But yes, london clubs are more attractive. Even Benteke said so himself, that when he signed here he thought we were a london club :/ 

Perhaps, but we are still one of the giants in english football and never forget that.

I don't think we can lay claim to such a title any more. Even during the best of times with MON, we still weren't selling out every week. I think our fan base is a big consideration to a potential buyer and I think Randy has proven that even with some success (albeit relative success) our crowds won't grow exponentially. If we'd had the crowds, the north stand would be gone by now.

Perhaps, but we are still one of the giants in english football and never forget that.

I don't think we can lay claim to such a title any more. Even during the best of times with MON, we still weren't selling out every week. I think our fan base is a big consideration to a potential buyer and I think Randy has proven that even with some success (albeit relative success) our crowds won't grow exponentially. If we'd had the crowds, the north stand would be gone by now.

We still have (while we are in the prem) one of the top 10 incomes in UK football. yes there are bigger teams than us in terms of historical achievements (though not many) and financial clout. but there are still a good 80+ teams in UK football that would kill for our fan base, stadium, facilities et al. 

We still have (while we are in the prem) one of the top 10 incomes in UK football. yes there are bigger teams than us in terms of historical achievements (though not many) and financial clout. but there are still a good 80+ teams in UK football that would kill for our fan base, stadium, facilities et al. 

Fair point. And as I was writing the above, I was keenly aware of the fact that the revenue stream from ticket sales is becoming an increasingly small percentage of turnover. Not sure what the draw is though. Even as a long-standing Villa fan, I'm not sure where our opportunities are to increase fan-base and subsequent revenue. All I see at the moment is opportunities to decrease it ;)

Fair point. And as I was writing the above, I was keenly aware of the fact that the revenue stream from ticket sales is becoming an increasingly small percentage of turnover. Not sure what the draw is though. Even as a long-standing Villa fan, I'm not sure where our opportunities are to increase fan-base and subsequent revenue. All I see at the moment is opportunities to decrease it ;)

lol it is at our place!

but really however they market 'brand villa' across the world the only thing that will attract new fans is a good team playing good football. That, and the name and the colours of course!

You're completely wrong! What is unsustainable is having below average players on high wages who don't play or offer anything to the team. Players like Ireland, Bent, Warnock, Hutton, Beye, Sidwell, Shorey, Dunne(less so), N'Zogbia (he's been guilty at times), Given, Makoun, Heskey the list goes on of players brought for bigs fees on big wages and offer nothing to the team. I would rather have 4 Sissoko's on the team giving their all at 70 per week than one Ireland sat in the stands at 60 per week thinking out whether unicorns really exist???

Our problems for the whole of Lerner dictatorship has been giving the monkeys gold coins instead of the peanuts they deserve. It what did Leeds in paying over the top wages for shite players and Lerner has fallen into the same trap because he is just a silly little spoilt rich kid playing at business.

We cant afford 4 sissokos. Thats why its unsustainable for us and most other clubs.

We cant afford 4 sissokos. Thats why its unsustainable for us and most other clubs.

Yes we could if they performed and kept us in the Prem . It's unsustainable in the Championship. The extra revenue that Lerner is giving up would easily deal with it. Warnock is off the payrol and Dunne, Bent and Given will be in the Summer even if we stay up. The money us there but he chooses to play a dangerous game.

It unsustainable for us - so we are told. But not west ham , Stoke, Fulham, QPR, Newcastle. ???  - Where there is a will, there is way methinks.....

Â