The Randy Lerner thread

CI

He didn't rule it out, he said it wasn't the priority. The priority is getting the kids heads in the right place for the next game in 3 days. He can't just come out with "the team is shit and we must replace a number of them when the window opens". We have 4 games in 11 days and will need the whole squad.

I think we will sign 3 players.

I agree that Lerner needs to back Lambert and back him heavily both in fees and wages for players. However I am becoming increasingly worried that Lambert will spend any money he gets on young unproven players at anything like this level who have potential. That is not what we need now. Players that will take months to adjust and get up to speed with this league are useless to us given where we find ourselves. What we need is proven quality at this level. Players that will hit the ground running and make an instant impact and have some leadership qualities about them. They will cost in fees and wages. If players of that ilk are not signed we could well drop.

Good post Mark and it's a concern I hold now too.

The following is an extract from a Ohio newspaper written in June 2012 (it may have been posted before but I can't be bothered to go back through dozens of pages).

Randy Lerner never found the light switch as Browns owner

Published: Saturday, July 28, 2012

By Jim Ingraham

He was the straw that didn't stir the drink. Sir Fix-A-Lot. The Duke of Do-Overs. The Baron of Barren. He was the Prince of Wince, Mister Mistake, the Master of Disaster.

King Wrong.

As owner of your Cleveland Browns, he was the very embodiment of that old sporting cliché "if at first you don't succeed, fail, fail again." Randy Lerner, we hardly knew ye. We hardly knew ye because ye didn't want we to know ye. We did know ye team, however.

Yee-gads!

Perhaps the best we can say about Randy Lerner is he was the most earnest failure in the history of Cleveland sports. Try as he might — and he appeared to try with all his might — he was never quite able to figure out this whole NFL ownership thing.

In every way imaginable, he was a square peg in an oblong hole.

But even square pegs eventually run out of patience, and we are now just one agreement in principle away from Lerner's greatest contribution to the Cleveland Browns being him selling the team to Jimmy Haslam III

This is our owner folks. He is not very good at owning sporting clubs!

Unfortunately some of us have been saying how bad he is for 2 and a half years.

Even with injuries the squad was weak before the season started.We have gone from the extreme of paying the likes of Beye over 40k a week to trying to get players in on cheap wages.The club is a joke right now no 2 ways about it look at twitter we are trending because everyone is laughing at us !Even bloody Joey Barton is commenting on how bad we are.

Sadly the chances of him selling now are even more remote.

I don't know whats worse Lambert making Mcliesh look less useless or Lerner making Ellis look like a decent owner.

I remember it well mate.

You were **** bang on.

i hope I was bang on in the summer just gone as well. January will show whether I was or not with my assessment of what I was told re backing

i hope I was bang on in the summer just gone as well. January will show whether I was or not with my assessment of what I was told re backing

To be honest I'm confident we will spend in January.

I'm not confident that this will be anymore than saving his investment. I need to see a clear long term plan that sees us back towards the top before I regain faith in this **** up of an owner.

If lambert gets backed in jan, Im not sure he will spend it on what we need to get out of this shambles tbh, his summer signings, westwood aside now look a world away from the prem and liam trotter etc won't get us out of this scrap.

Ok, but when you were told about "backing" in the summer, did you realise that said "backing" was probably based on bringing in players on Championship wages? I am no backer of the wages premiership player get BUT if we are going to compete (even survive) Lerner has to accept the reality the you generally get what you pay for. Even if Lambert gets another £17 million in January there is a possibility that he will go trawling the lower leagues or for cheap foreigners again.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

I really do think Lerner will reach deep this window. All about protecting his asset. He gave the cash when Houllier needed it and he will again in January, especially considering he was there to see that dross fest against Wigan.

And if he doesn't, well then people can't start pulling out those pitchforks they've been sharpening.

Edited by LockStockVilla

Â