The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Wolves hot relegated on Sunday and Jez Moxey was on the local radio apologising to the fans and said mistakes had been made.

Should the worst happen I wonder how long it will take Faulkner (because it sure as shit wont be Lerner) to come on the radio and apologise?

Nope he would come out and say Europe is a big possibility next season

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish claims he has the support of owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner after fans called for his sacking after Wednesday night's home defeat to Bolton.

Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner are keeping him in this job its a true fact.

Anyone still gonna defend Lerner?

Surely if he keeps Mcleish last year that is 100% proof he has no interest in the club anymore.

Lerner is an awful owner, easily up there with Doug and is doing serious long term damage to this club.

If Lerner was here for the same duration as Ellis, I'm reasonably confident he'd take us down the Sheffield Wednesday route.

Atleast Ellis knew his arse from his head, despite his penny pinching.

If Lerner was here for the same duration as Ellis, I'm reasonably confident he'd take us down the Sheffield Wednesday route.

Atleast Ellis knew his arse from his head, despite his penny pinching.

The difference with Ellis was that he was ruthless.

Lerner isn't.

Not that I long for the days of Ellis again though!

Don't really know what Lerner has done to deserve our respect other than absent mindedly ploughing money in for 3 years, which is easy enough to do when you inherit billions from Daddy. Everything else - and I mean everything - that has required some sort of action by the board has been a failure. Your average armchair Sky Sports fan could have probably done a better job given his wealth.

Don't really know what Lerner has done to deserve our respect other than absent mindedly ploughing money in for 3 years, which is easy enough to do when you inherit billions from Daddy. Everything else - and I mean everything - that has required some sort of action by the board has been a failure. Your average armchair Sky Sports fan could have probably done a better job given his wealth.

I agree with a lot of this.

He hasn't showed himself to be particularly good at running a football club and whoever is advising him on footballing matters is doing so badly.

Agree completely, he's got money and he's spent it. Hardly a skill.

The bloke is a disgrace. A failure of an owner in 2 major sports. One of the worst things to happen to Aston Villa.

How dare you

Lerner has done so much for Villa

He renovated the holte pub didnt you know

What other club in the championship do you know off which has such a luxurious venue where the fans can go watch their team play millwall on a weekend

I agree with a lot of this.

He hasn't showed himself to be particularly good at running a football club and whoever is advising him on footballing matters is doing so badly.

Unfortunately that's what you get with millionaires. They tend to surround themselves (or become surrounded) by toady's and lackeys that just smile and nod whenever he speaks.

We needed someone at the top who knew football inside out and has followed that game all their lives. What we got was Faulkner and his yes men.

The sad thing is that every Villa fan, some of which have been watching football on an almost daily basis for 60 years +, saw this coming a mile off and tried to warn them whilst king Canute stood there staring at the tide.

McLeish didnt spend his £18m wisely in the summer.Plus his choice of the injury prone Jenas as a loan signing was a joke.

He made 4 poor signings IMO. i dread to think what he would do with a war chest

4 poor signings?

If it wasn't for Given & Keane, we'd be mathematically relegated by now. N'Zogbia was most peoples' favoured choice for Young/ Downing replacement. Hutton has been poor and Jenas was ridiculous.

Which of these 5 were the poor signings?

I just posted this on another site in response to an article about Randy taking advantage of us Villa fans & thought it expressed how i feel pretty well so i thought i would post it on here too as it is primairly about Randy & well Villa chairmen.

..I am one of those die hard Villa fans & have been since the late 1970's. What i will say is that Villa fans have suffered a lot more than most.. Yes i know we have comparably had a good time when compared to many clubs with our ever present Premier League record etc BUT.. when you scratch below the surface & look back a bit further the real picture emerges.

In 1981 we were League champions. In 1982 we became one of only 4 English teams to lift the European cup..All great hey!? Well yes except that at the end of 1981 our board disgracefully pushed out Ron Saunders the manager who had created our most successful ever team.. Because of this they were hounded out by the fans & sold up to a mr Douglas Ellis!.

This is where the problems root back to in reality as we were then run like a corner shop for 25 years..Thats correct the Champions of Europe were run like a corner shop by a chairman who, whilst there is no doubt he loved the club dearly, had little ambition over seeing Villa stay in the Premier League & enjoy the odd League cup success.

So the incredible fan base Villa had was slowly tortured with this slow kind of "just existingness"..repeatedly being fed false promises which in reality were never ever going to be actually acheived with Doug Ellis in charge. Time after time Villa got close to being a good team & challenging right at the top..Time after time the limitations of Ellis's ambition stopped them.. He simply would not go the final mile.

So after well over 2 decades of this torture he finally, age catching up with him, pressure mounting etc, sold up.

Great all us Villa fans thought.. at last the restriction has been lifted & after years of embarrassing under achievement this club could finally push on & take it's rightfull place as one of the countries top 6 clubs & occasionally, in a good year, challenge for the big prizes.

Once again our hopes had been lifted which after 25 years of torture i can assure you was like taking 25 kilo's off your shoulders.. At last we could challenge..Martin O'neill came in & we started to improve year on year...Until

You know the rest... Our new chairman decided for whatever reason to simply stop investing. O'neill wisely quit..he knew what was coming. Now don't get me wrong i fully understand that the books needed to be improved etc as the wages were way too high.. I believe Randy Lerner et al honestly thought we would acheive a top 4 spot & Champions League & this would cover the additional costs... We did not of course & hence the sudden slashing of wages..

This is my concern however... To go from that to then savagely slashing the wages down so quickly to the point we sold half our squad & ALL of our best players was quite frankly ridiculous... Why do it so quickly? This was obviously going to damage the team..We lost O'neill because of it & STILL we continue to plummet downwards after 2 years of it. Surely the point of safety for wages was not this low? It just doesn't make sense!

Yet again the Villa fans have been let down by the chairman. Yet again the promised dawn was false. Yet again dreams & hope had been removed..& How!!

In all my years following this once great club i have never witnessed such a demoralising 2 seasons. To go from a team on the up & up to suddenly without warning shred all the good work which had been done was simply soul destroying. Add that onto the 25 year stint under Ellis & you see a set of fans who have been sold short for over 30 years. That is why i say we have suffered more than most.. Because this club should be in the top 6 & occasionally having a "good"year. As it stands we will do well to stay up now. Surely this is worse than supporting a club that isn't expected to do any better than finish in the Premier League? The expectations are different & you kind of know what to expect.. At Villa we have been given false dawn after false dawn after false dawn..that i can tell you is very unpleasent.

To do what he has to this club in the way he has is downright disrespectful to such a grand club & it's loyal fan base... & people wonder why Villa fans moan!! We have been taken the mick out of for 30+ seasons now barring 2 or 3 under O'neill's stewardship & even he bolted at the 1st possible sign of trouble on the eve of a new season...That did not help Mr O'Neill it really did not & that was uncalled for.. No wonder you apologised for it after the recent Villa Sunderland game.

whilst there is no doubt he loved the club dearly, had little ambition over seeing Villa stay in the Premier League & enjoy the odd League cup success.

I'd settle for such a Chairman about now to be honest

Â