The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Well, the first link explains what counts as incomings and outgoings for FFP purposes. It is NOT just a club's balance sheet, a lot of expenditure is not counted towards FFP at all.

Add to that the fact that a club can lose 45E mil over 3 years and not face any sanctions .... getting back into Europe by spending big and not getting fines is clearly possible.

Ash - read the articles you posted in conjunction with Villa's accounts.

Villa can't spend anymore than our current levels without breaking Uefa FFP.

and you have also forgotten about Prem League FFP which is more stringent.

Also, even without those 2 issues, you are saying we could spend £12m (15mill Euros) per season more.

Thats hardly sugar daddy spending.   £12m wouldn't even buy 1 top player.

Well, the first link explains what counts as incomings and outgoings for FFP purposes. It is NOT just a club's balance sheet, a lot of expenditure is not counted towards FFP at all.

Add to that the fact that a club can lose 45E mil over 3 years and not face any sanctions .... getting back into Europe by spending big and not getting fines is clearly possible.

Ash - read the articles you posted in conjunction with Villa's accounts.

Villa can't spend anymore than our current levels without breaking Uefa FFP.

and you have also forgotten about Prem League FFP which is more stringent.

Also, even without those 2 issues, you are saying we could spend £12m (15mill Euros) per season more.

Thats hardly sugar daddy spending. £12m wouldn't even buy 1 top player.

Your point is correct but you mixed up Uefa and Premier League rules. Uefa is more stringent and the ones we need to adhere to because if we did do the Premier League rules we would be a lot more successful and then fall foul of the Uefa rules and get fined.

I don't understand why people still can't understand how it relates to lerners policy

Think this is interesting as an idea on finance:

"This could be a result of Arsenal’s consistent match performance and increased revenue from the Emirates Stadium, and could indicate that Arsenal controls its finances in a more conservative way than the other large football clubs - something perhaps mirrored by its manager Arsene Wenger’s historically and comparatively frugal transfer policy."

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/oct/10/arsenal-creditworthy-football-club-silverware?CMP=twt_gu

"This could be a result of Arsenal’s consistent match performance and increased revenue from the Emirates Stadium, and could indicate that Arsenal controls its finances in a more conservative way than the other large football clubs - something perhaps mirrored by its manager Arsene Wenger’s historically and comparatively frugal transfer policy."

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/oct/10/arsenal-creditworthy-football-club-silverware?CMP=twt_gu

It could also explain why a top 4 side has only won one trophy in the last 9 seasons?

It could also explain why a top 4 side has only won one trophy in the last 9 seasons?

Arsenal fans have been spoilt. They were in massive decline before Wenger took over. What id give for Villa to play in the Champions League just once. Never mind every season.

• Like 2

Would give a penny for his thoughts today.

Not saying for one single minute that he is blameless for all this....but there are things I seen today, where I would be damned if I could blame him for it entirely....there were footballing things wrong.

The austerity programme was introduced because too many players were bought, who were not good enough.

That not good enough could have been their open ability or the fact the manager of the day could not get the best out of them by blending them correctly...who knows.....it could be both.

This Everton team/club for me have made a much better fist of their restricted resources than we have.

If I had of spent in excess of one hundred million pounds on a team that pass the ball to the opposition more often than their own players, I would be interested to hear his thoughts.

If anyone on here can tell me that they are struggling in their job because the owner/CEO won't invest in resources, I would be interested to hear.

If the people you work with you think are a bunch of crap,and feel it is impacting on your performance go and tell the CEO and see what he says.....I would guess he wouldn't quite have the dismissive effect to wards the managers some of us seem to muster.

Edited by TRO

Offering Lambert a fresh contract when he did now seems kind of silly. It actually seemed silly then, but we'd gotten a few good results, so why bother thinking on it too much...there was really no need to tie Lambert down to a new deal, it's not like he was gonna get a better job elsewhere!

• Like 1

In the same manner that a team can short cut short the route to goal by taking a lazy option of playing the ball to a prominent centre forward.

There is also a similar parallel with regards to thinking that Randy Lerner was going to negate all the poor decision making from managers....There was no such latitude with HDE he hadn't got the money for mistakes...The managers had to get more right than wrong.

Football has changed, but equally there are still so many parallels we are all to quick to dismiss, where things are still the same. In a slightly different slant .....some things as different as they may appear are still very much the same..

Clubs were belly aching in the early 1900's that villa was buying up all the best talent.....there is a certain understanding, but equally a bit of sour grapes for me.

• Like 1

Penny for his thoughts?

You would have over spent.

If you buy a pair of trousers and they don' t fit.....unless you can take them back?

You have to buy another pair....and so on and so on.

Check your source of the problem?

Penny for his thoughts?

You'd probably just get white noise.

Maybe a populist thought in some quarters....not in the same comparison in terms of knowledge with HDE

In my opinion he could be the biggest idiot in terms of football.....but with a manager with the ability of say Wenger his shortfall would have gone unnoticed.....not particularly sure any of Brian Clough's bosses were blessed with unfaltering knowledge of the business world that was instrumental in his success.

They just let him get on with it.

Edited by TRO

I don't understand why people still can't understand how it relates to lerners policy

Because I think Lerner would be/have been doing exactly the same thing as he has done/is doing without FFP.

I think it is a bit of a stretch and one without any real foundation to think the two things are related.[/quote

I agree with that......but disagree with your jaundiced view on him in general .....and that is not saying he is blameless, but think the view is a tad singular.

I agree with that......but disagree with your jaundiced view on him in general .....and that is not saying he is blameless, but think the view is a tad singular.

Not at all, I've given him credit when and where it is due but generally speaking I think he has been a poor owner, made poor decisions and made a mess of his time at the club. I'm sure he is a good guy but good owner? He is a very very long way from that.

• Like 1

Â