The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Me defending Lerner? No no no!!!

We were in desperate need for some quality and for the 3rd consecutive January window he provided piss poor backing for his manager.

Thought so - the lack of a smiley made me wonder if perhaps today had prompted a nervous breakdown...!

If that was the case he should've fired him.

He didn't refuse to buy players because he doesn't trust the manager. He did it because he no longer gives a toss.

Exactly. Survive on the cheap till he sells. He's gambled with our premiership survival yet again .

If that was the case he should've fired him.

He didn't refuse to buy players because he doesn't trust the manager.  He did it because he no longer gives a toss.

I think it was more to him thinking he was coming to the end of his time at the club and wanted to just 'see it out' without more money being spent. I think back then, most people thought we would get 40 points.

Lerner once called himself the custodian of the club, well if the club was a kid it would have been taken off him by now.

The sooner he pisses off the better for everyone who actually gives a toss about it.

I fear it may be too late, the penny pinching in order to grab as much back as possible, could very well leave us in the championship and unable to find a buyer.

Guess what he will do then?

I just feel that 8 years on, we are back to square one.

We are just existing, sure it's in the top division in the country, but we are just there.

Because of the generally average players in our squad, we are too easy to play against and teams have us all figured out.

I can understand that RL has had his fingers burnt somewhat, but the level of investment over the last 3 years has been ridiculous - you can't expect to move forwards while the spending goes backwards.

I'm now firmly in the camp that hopes to God we manage to stay up on 35 points (because I can't see a win coming anytime soon), and that Lerner sells in the summer.

I think back to 2008 and how proud I was to be a supporter, and it feels like it was 20 years ago.

• Like 1

What's the point of even being in the PL if all we want to do is survive? The Championship would probably be more entertaining as things stand but financially it'd kill us and tbh I doubt we could even stay up in the Championship. It's really hard to see how things could become any shittier at this point.

I think its piss poor to run a team down to bare bones with view to selling. You can't get away with this in the premiership. We have had to watch and still pay for something the owner has not really had any interest in for 3 seasons now, just so he can recop some of his money he has invested. He's treated us like muggs!

I think its piss poor to run a team down to bare bones with view to selling. You can't get away with this in the premiership. We have had to watch and still pay for something the owner has not really had any interest in for 3 seasons now, just so he can recop some of his money he has invested. He's treated us like muggs!

I guess that you, like others, enjoyed it when O'Neill was here?

Have a thought for those of us who have been waiting to see decent football at VP in this millennium :)

I guess that you, like others, enjoyed it when O'Neill was here?

Have a thought for those of us who have been waiting to see decent football at VP in this millennium :)

Don't get me wrong O'Neil was the antichrist, but at least we won a few games and we had vision. Since then or after Houllier I think Lerner had decided AVFC wasn't for him!!!

Â