The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I think the team we're playing tonight show you don't need to keep spending ridiculous amounts of money to be competitive.

They have our keeper from last season in goal signed on a free.

Walker, bale, Dawson and Lennon were all young players signed for potential from smaller lower league teams.

They put a ridiculous price tag on one of their star players and stayed strong to that.

Adebayor was signed on loan and VDV was a bargain.

And their wage bill isn't out of control.

And I think most of that is the strategy that the club is now trying to follow. You know...the one that the fans are getting really upset about.

You can't see why people think the choice of medium for speaking to the fans was poor?

I can't see that no, especially as an interview was put on the offical site as well.

That it appeared on the OS was not apparent (to me at least) for some time.

Anyway, some communication was better than nothing, but (just like the letter in the summer) it said precious little of substance. Nor did it give much kind of hint that he was really in touch.

It's a pity as I think in essence his intentions are good. My view is that if it were not for the executive appointments he's made then there'd be no worry - it would not be worth quibbling about his lack of communication.

We just have to see how things are going by January, and that we knew before the interview.

I think the team we're playing tonight show you don't need to keep spending ridiculous amounts of money to be competitive.

Walker, bale, Dawson and Lennon were all young players signed for potential from smaller lower league teams.

They put a ridiculous price tag on one of their star players and stayed strong to that.

And I think most of that is the strategy that the club is now trying to follow. You know...the one that the fans are getting really upset about.

But Spurs also signed Parker (who effectively replaced Jenas).

And Villa's football hasn't been anything to write home about, apart from the last match.

If Villa can move on then good, of course.

You can't see why people think the choice of medium for speaking to the fans was poor?

I can't see that no, especially as an interview was put on the offical site as well.

Exactly!! Lerner gave the interview to a credible and serious newpaper with national coverage thus allowing Villa fans in all parts of the country to read itit along with the wider footballing world thus demonstrating our position to the latter audience too. Last time I checked the Times is available at newsagents, supermarkets, petrol stations, etc. Better still it was on the OS less than 24 hours later.

The Birmingham Mail is a shit local paper in terminal decline and most Villa fans in my experience distrust and dislike the coverage Villa get in that paper. As for the Daily Mail....well I think I will say no more than the Times has a little more gravitas if you want to be taken seriously.

That it appeared on the OS was not apparent (to me at least) for some time.

Anyway, some communication was better than nothing, but (just like the letter in the summer) it said precious little of substance. Nor did it give much kind of hint that he was really in touch.

It's a pity as I think in essence his intentions are good. My view is that if it were not for the executive appointments he's made then there'd be no worry - it would not be worth quibbling about his lack of communication.

We just have to see how things are going by January, and that we knew before the interview.

No mater what he said though, the proof would be January, and to be honest, the proof more will be in the summer, when the wage bill comes down a bit, hopefully we won't be selling a star player and we will see how much is invested in the playing squad.

What he says doesn't mater really anyway, if McLeish makes a good job of been manager, Lerner will have done a good job, if McLeish **** up, then Lerner will have **** up.

[Lerner gave the interview to a credible and serious newpaper with national coverage thus allowing Villa fans in all parts of the country to read itit along with the wider footballing world thus demonstrating our position to the latter audience too. Last time I checked the Times is available at newsagents, supermarkets, petrol stations, etc. Better still it was on the OS less than 24 hours later.

I repeat - I couldn't get a copy. And being on the OS 24 hours later is not that helpful.

The Birmingham Mail is a shit local paper in terminal decline and most Villa fans in my experience distrust and dislike the coverage Villa get in that paper. As for the Daily Mail....well I think I will say no more than the Times has a little more gravitas if you want to be taken seriously.

There's not a lot of "gravitas", now, under the Murdoch empire. Apart from which they're having to pump money in to keep it going.

It's the fans that RL is communicating with - not the business world. He doesn't have to impress the stock market!!

Apart from which, Harry, the sports section of the Mail is taken very seriously, and it is a sports matter we're talking about.

It's also very sad that the local Mail is talked of so derogatively. I admit I only buy it occasionally but don't find it as bad as your criticism suggests. It is essentially about local issues.

All the people, RL included, who claim there are alternative ways to success - any examples ?

It is disingenous at best. If there were all these alternative strategies how come every Club in the land isn't doing it ? (And, ironically, if they were, the dividing line would again be how much they spent on wages).

Over time, any sort of meaningful period, say 3 or more seasons, you will get League positions equating to spend. There is no cut price way to do it.

So balance the books to income by all means, but then be honest enough to say thqt means we are not competing for the Top Places.

You've read it; what's the problem?

limited readership? it was on AVFC.co.uk for **** sake.

moan moan moan moan moan

It was on the OS nearly 24 hours later, wasn't it? Bit late.

And I only read it because of some other kind soul on VT sending me a copy. It didn't have to be done that way round.

No, it's not a question a "moan" at all. If you read what I say about RL I'm actually quite supportive ... fine intentions but does not give the impression of being able to manage very effectively. Apparently there are problems at the Browns as well, but there are people that know far more about that than I.

Now, I'm supportive of RL even though I was wrongfully dismissed by his team nearly 2 years ago. Me, a supporter of 60 years. Having worked there I can see some of the cracks in the organisation that maybe others haven't been able to see, and which have occurred because of the kind of team he's pulled together.

Nevertheless, I'm not dismssive of RL, but he does have a way to go. At present he's still seen as walking on water for many following his input to the club in the first 4 years, but this season is critical. ... Very critical.

and took them 7 years to get that team competitive after years of finishing 5th adn 6th adn continually selling best players. after realising a scattergun approach in transfer window didnt work

and took them 7 years to get that team competitive after years of finishing 5th adn 6th adn continually selling best players. after realising a scattergun approach in transfer window didnt work

They made a mess of Jol leaving and then appointing Ramos who was flavour of the month but couldn't communicate properly and sold Keane, Berbatov and Defoe all in 6 months and replaced them with Frazier Campell, Pav and Giovani! :shock: :lol:

No wonder they had that infamous 2 points from 8 games and then Redknapp came in and the rest is history.

Can McLeish be our Redknapp picking up the mess after a foriegn disaster? I doubt it but we need to steady the club a bit.

The problem is you're just assuming we have this great plan to get us back competitive. What has happened in the last 18 months to make you think that?

Once again the board have failed to really make it clear what we can expect from the future.

They made a mess of Jol leaving and then appointing Ramos who was flavour of the month but couldn't communicate properly and sold Keane, Berbatov and Defoe all in 6 months and replaced them with Frazier Campell, Pav and Giovani! :shock: :lol:

No wonder they had that infamous 2 points from 8 games and then Redknapp came in and the rest is history.

Can McLeish be our Redknapp picking up the mess after a foriegn disaster? I doubt it but we need to steady the club a bit.

Not sure that the responders' comments equate to BigJohn's main point (in blue). I agree with his comment, that all the talk of big money being needed is over-hyped.

Also the year they finished 4th didn't they have a striker upfront that we deemed not good enough and sold for £2 million.

Spurs don't have a rich sheik and don't spend money like city or Chelsea but they're still challenging for 4th, their fans are still given hope that they can get there.

Smart signings and getting the right manager can make up for the lack of financial power other clubs have.

im sure the Spurs owner is worth a lot of money maybe more than Randy. How much did Spurs pay for Keane, Modric, Berbatov, Pav, Bent, Defoe x2, Gomes, Sandro.

Spurs spent a lot of money over the years and only got their act together in 09 about 10 years after tehy were took over

im sure the Spurs owner is worth a lot of money maybe more than Randy. How much did Spurs pay for Keane, Modric, Berbatov, Pav, Bent, Defoe x2, Gomes, Sandro.

Spurs spent a lot of money over the years and only got their act together in 09 about 10 years after tehy were took over

Spurs have spent money over the years but I don't think they've spent the ridiculous amounts of money some keep banging on about. Our wage bill was out of control and theirs was still less.

Also apart from 1 or 2 players I don't see them signing the quality that we could never dream about. Like I said when they got 4th crouch was upfront for them.

Spurs aren't guaranteed 4th but their challenging and I don't see reasons why we can't expect to be in a similar position challenging.

I don't think it's too late, nor do I think it says next to nothing.

As far as the medium goes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Ok we can agree to disagree on the medium.

In terms of it being too late, do you think that article will have any impact at all on tickets sales? Do you think it will have any impact on season ticket sales?

Or do you think if he had perhaps spoken in the summer of his continued plans for the club do you think it would have more impact?

My view is that he should have spoken a lot earlier and had he done so it might have had more of a positive impact. That is why I think its a little late.

In terms of content, what would you say are the 3 most important things you know from reading that article that you didn't know previously?

Â