The Randy Lerner thread

CI

You're right, Pelle. For the record I don't think any of this should be beyond Lerner's capabilities. The black/white on this forum and elsewhere is that either we need a mega-rich owner, or it's not Lerner's fault we can't spend big money. I was merely pointing out that an increase in revenue is achievable within FFP, which I believe it should be. Not easy, which is why we need smart strategic planning, and not an approach loosely defined by the owner but ultimately changed every year or every few years because the manager has responsibility for setting the tone as well as the high-risk job of being responsible for results.

Anyway, that's another topic. It's just my opinion that we're now several years into his stewardship and heading backwards. That does not mean I want a mega-billionaire who can't spend big due to FFP. The rules don't get Lerner off the hook for where we're heading.

We could always hope for somebody to run the place properly and increase revenue. I suppose that would be a start.

What would your suggestion be for increasing revenue? In terms or strategy/plan?

I'm not a businessman or a football club owner.

But you're an intelligent bloke with an opinion and a knowledge of football. Surely you have a broader understanding of the game than what happens on the pitch? You must have an awareness of football as an industry, no?

Very much so. It pays my salary, which is one of the reasons I'm not getting into the nitty gritty.

Edited by ChrisVillan

FFP isn't the only limiting factor for a potential new owner. Our Birmingham location with it's historically "joke" reputation puts off investors, because of the difficulty in attracting quality players and sponsors. It would take a mega rich buyer to create an environment in and around Villa Park in much the same way that the area around Man City's ground is now being regenerated. These kind of schemes allow FFP regulations to be bypassed by securing huge sponsorship deals that are only available to very rich "connected" owners.

If Randy sells to another averagely rich billionaire (I know laughable isn't it) then the only tangible improvement we can hope for is that better qualified people are employed to run AVFC.

You've just done exactly the same again this time with the fact that you've been "informed" that a takeover is happening and to "watch this space".

Risso - It has been all around the internet that Lerner is selling, I just passed on the information I had received from a PM to add more weight to the discussion about Lerner selling the club. I want the discussion to be about a potential sale of the club, not about me. I could careless about the admiration or loathing of anonymous people on a forum, I have to laugh when I think about it. It is hilarious to even suggest that is the case.   

Reading the same Twitter nonsnse that everybody else sees isn't being "informed" and asking people to "watch this space" gives the impression that you have access to information which you quite clearly don't.

Okay. 

Are you THAT desperate for attention?

I am after the same amount of attention you and others get when they post a message on the forum. This attention seeking crap is complete and utter hogwash. Come on Risso, you are an intelligent poster and can rise above this witch hunt mentality. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I think if Lambert is able to shift Bent, Given, N'Zogbia, Hutton, and Herd in the summer. Lerner needs to back him heavily with funds. He fulfilled the request to lower the wage bill of players who do not meet the criteria.  Any excuses for not backing the manager sufficiently is not excusable. That way at least, we can invest higher wages and transfer fees into players who are not simply becoming part of the squad, but are realistic first-team players.

• Like 3

- I am somewhat paranoid about this 

Rule number one of business club: if you are paranoid about a subject matter, don't plaster it on the internet for the entire planet to see.

I didn't write anything about ' - I am somewhat paranoid about this', Anywhere, or did I quote the text that it's taken from.

It's taken from the second post of this thread on the thebellsareringing website,

Someone asked how we could increase revenue that is simple. Sponsorship, sponsor everything even if it isn't a lot like the training ground tops et al but the biggest difference is the ground we have to sell naming rights to be more competitive 10m a year makes a difference.

Eh? I merely asked if it was you or not as I couldn't remember. Judging by your reaction, it clearly was you and I'd like to say that anybody who pretends to have inside knowledge when they don't isn't really in a position to accuse others of being 'pathetic'.

You name dropped me, of course I would react to your post and defend myself. I never said anything about Depay, I only made a subtle and playful hint. I was given no names and I foolishly assumed it was Depay because we were linked shortly afterwards (and we had a strong link with signing players from Holland in the past). I am really disappointed with you Isa, you are a sensible and intelligent person.

'Name dropped' you? There was already a dicussion regarding your 'ITK' credibility and I simply asked whether it was you or not who started that whole Depay thing. I'm not sure why you need to 'defend yourself' against a question and what's more start throwing around highly exaggerated accusations of a 'witch-hunt'. I fail to see how asking before I go around slanting your credibility is not befitting of my intelligence (another exaggeration ;)) either.

You've just done exactly the same again this time with the fact that you've been "informed" that a takeover is happening and to "watch this space".

Risso - It has been all around the internet that Lerner is selling, I just passed on the information I had received from a PM to add more weight to the discussion about Lerner selling the club. I want the discussion to be about a potential sale of the club, not about me. I could careless about the admiration or loathing of anonymous people on a forum, I have to laugh when I think about it. It is hilarious to even suggest that is the case.   

To be fair, the problem lies with the wording of your post.  Putting things like "watch this space" infer that something is about to happen with regards to <x> that you've heard about.  It's a completely different phrasing to "I've heard from someone that a takeover is indeed in discussion" or whatever your information may be.

Whilst I agree that any information given to the forum is speculative and encourages positivity, you have to think about the way it is portrayed.

Only passing on what somebody told me. The information most likely originates from HH and that other forum, no need to get arsey.  :) Is is not good news?

So your 'inside source' is just another fan who has a twitter account and told you what HH and others has said?

Not someone at the club or a lawyer handling the takeover documents?

I am really shocked!

Plus I think people are being too harsh on GENTLEMAN it's only football or just people talking about football. Getting carried away with the rumours and everything else is all part of the fun.

• Like 1

Plus I think people are being too harsh on GENTLEMAN it's only football or just people talking about football. Getting carried away with the rumours and everything else is all part of the fun.

You are kidding right? No one has been personal or insulting or abusive. Gentleman is able to hold his own usually so I am sure he can survive a few questions and a bit of banter without you fighting his battles for him.

I'm not fighting his battles for him and wouldn't be so stupid to do so. I just don't see the point of getting hung up by something that someone's said on the internet. GENTLEMAN himself has not said anything personal, insulting or absusive himself but still some people can't shut up about it.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Reading the same Twitter nonsnse that everybody else sees isn't being "informed" and asking people to "watch this space" gives the impression that you have access to information which you quite clearly don't.

Okay. 

Are you THAT desperate for attention?

I am after the same amount of attention you and others get when they post a message on the forum. This attention seeking crap is complete and utter hogwash. Come on Risso, you are an intelligent poster and can rise above this witch hunt mentality. 

Happy to leave it there, but as an intelligent poster yourself, I'd hope that you can start to see how your posts in January and yesterday would annoy people.  Despite my criticisms of Lerner, I do actually share your opinion that Lerner is the main cause of the situation we're in at the moment, and can't wait to see the end of his regime.  If anybody ever has anything concrete and factual to share about him selling up, well I can't wait to hear it, but second hand Twitter rubbish is at best guess work, and at worst trolling.

Why do people get so upset about so called " in the know information" ,if it turns out to be true great if no, so what ?

Whatever is going to happen will happen regardless and personally I like the info coming though adds a bit of spice.

Â