The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I do wonder when the fans will turn on the owner. How many more managers will take all the blame before the critiscm comes his way?

Lerner deserves some of the abuse aimed at the manager, especially where the depth and quality of the squad is concerned.

He controls the club and its purse strings. Carry on with the obligatory transfer budget and we'll continue in our current manner.....

• Like 1

Keith Harris, the banker whose firm Seymour Pierce acted on the takeover, said Lerner has got it right because he appreciates the English love of football and does not see it as merely a financial investment.

"Anybody buying a football club should regard himself as a custodian for supporters who care very deeply about it," he said.

"These are not assets which should be loaded with debt. Randy understands that - although that does not mean he will not make money by selling the club at some point."

I do wonder when the fans will turn on the owner. How many more managers will take all the blame before the critiscm comes his way?

Have they not yet. I guess it wouldn't help the team but the owner should know how much the majority want him gone.

I want him gone so I can start going to watch games again.

Much as it frustrates, the owner is an immovable object who has no influence on what happens on match day.

The protests against Ellis largely didn't work, the anti-McLeish appointment protest didn't work, and the Newcastle supporters' protests against Ashley haven't worked.

The only way to turn on the owner is to withdraw your financial support for the club. Don't go to games and don't buy any merchandise. I suspect that more than a few will take this option.

• Like 4

Much as it frustrates, the owner is an immovable object who has no influence on what happens on match day.

The protests against Ellis largely didn't work, the anti-McLeish appointment protest didn't work, and the Newcastle supporters' protests against Ashley haven't worked.

The only way to turn on the owner is to withdraw your financial support for the club. Don't go to games and don't buy any merchandise. I suspect that more than a few will take this

option.

Good post. I have refused to spend a penny on AVFC until the current owners have left the club. This decision was made after Mcleish was appointed. I admire fans that stick by the club financially through thick and thin. But for me that appointment was the biggest up yours to fans I've ever seen in my life.

Arguably the poorest starting 11 I have seen us field in the Premier League today. The bench wouldn't have looked out of the place in League 1. The only mitigating circumstances are that we had half a dozen players out ill or injured.

You reap what you sow and under Lerner we have assembled the poorest squad we have had since we were promoted back to the top flight in 1988. Lerner should be hanging his head in shame after what he has done to this great club.

• Like 2

The problem for me is that it is not that he hasn't spent money, it is that he spent money badly. Specifically on his choice of managers but also on the wages paid.

After MON, the hiring of a manager that could slowly sort out the contacts while keeping us top 10 was essential. Instead we hired 2 managers who created nothing but turmoil while adding to the wage issue with their own signing...... Now we have purchased a couple of good players with the rest dross (at best with potential but my god some will really have to turn it around).

I thought last year was rock bottom and the only way was up but this season is no better and heading downward fast. If we survive and if we sign 2 or 3 quality players and not 5 or 6 crap ones we may see the improvement we need.

Without question the worst 4 years of my life supporting Villa. I can't take a 5th!!

The only way to turn on the owner is to withdraw your financial support for the club. Don't go to games and don't buy any merchandise. I suspect that more than a few will take this option.

You could also argue that he has the biggest influence on match day. After all our team today cost less than £15 million yet we're expected to win games.

Unless somebody wants to buy the club there is nothing that can really be done. Lets hope that if there is someone decent out there then Randy will make it as easy as possible for a purchase to go through.

Unless somebody wants to buy the club there is nothing that can really be done. Lets hope that if there is someone decent out there then Randy will make it as easy as possible for a purchase to go through.

Didn't Ellis put the club up for sale before Lerner came in?

Â