The Randy Lerner thread

CI

we had a midfield of NRC - 8.5 mill......Petrov - 8mill......Sidwell - 6mill......or thereabouts = £24.5 mill

went to Liverpool got a 1-3 win  with Steven Gerrard and Mascarino playing

next game that midfield was dismantled and I don't think they all played together again.

..... what confidence have i got that this club with money can buy right and create a sustainable midfield that gels

NONE

Its just been a comedy of errors and misjudgments for years....and each manager seems to bring those misjudgments with them.

OT but NRC gave one of the best CM performances I have ever seen from a villa player in that game.

• Like 1

Not really the right thread for this but when NRC and Sidwell were brought most of us thought they would do better than they did.

Times move on though and we shall see how good Lambert is at spending decent amounts on players rather than spreading his money around to fill a squad.

Just a point on Randy....not trying to convince those that blame him for all our ills...just comparing him/club with what used to be similar standing rivals ...Spurs

I just think he is ok in parts and not so ok in other parts :

• He gets accused of never being here.... is Joe Lewis always at White Hart Lane?
  • They say he has appointed poor managers he has true, but what about AVB,Ramos,Jol,Santini,Gross,Hoddle,Pleat.... did they do much?
  • They say he he's not putting money in....He says he has spent £250 mill inc the club purchase....did he buy the players that form our team today after all that money spent.
  • Randy Lerner and Joe Lewis are the owners, Daniel levy seems to command a much higher profile than Paul Faulkner, when in fact they do the same job....when is Faulkner going to stand up and be counted and take some of the responsibility.

I have always been of the opinion in recent times that poor purchases by successive managers has got us in our current situation

People tend to go on about Lerner's spend, his presence and even his communication. None of that makes any difference to me.

We could have avoided:

- the money burn under MON,

- the risk of Houllier,

- the awful appointment of McLeish, and

- preparing to hand Lambert an extension on his contract without seeing the end result of his 3 years

if we just had a high ranking person within AVFC with some football nous/vision/experience. It doesn't have to be Lerner himself, just somebody... anybody!

Which weighed up to what he's done for the club, really isn't that bad at all.

Four relegation battles in a row, shocking appointments, naive with money to the point of disaster - Ellis always said "At least we aren't Leeds" Lerner can say "I tried to be Leeds".

The only good things to come out of his time here are off the pitch and nothing to do with the club.

Edited by dodgyknees

Yawn.<br />

<br />

Let's just forget the league cup final, fa cup semi final, millions and millions spent under MON, numerous sold-out home games under MON, games in Europe and the fact that the league has been so tight lately that roughly 10 teams have been part of a relegation battle. (And that we finished, what was it? 9th or 10th under Houllier in that 'relegation battle' of a season).

Yawn.<br />

<br />

Let's just forget the league cup final, fa cup semi final, millions and millions spent under MON, numerous sold-out home games under MON, games in Europe and the fact that the league has been so tight lately that roughly 10 teams have been part of a relegation battle. (And that we finished, what was it? 9th or 10th under Houllier in that 'relegation battle' of a season).

I'm not being funny, but are you suggesting all of the above makes up for battling relegation, losing our best players, having the smallest budget in the league, appointing poor managers, lying to the fans, Krulak's bollocks.. etc?

We did all of the above with Doug and he was a terrible chairman! (exception - spending millions, to counter we had two league cup wins, an FA Cup final) if we keep going the way we are we will also get that relegation to add to Lerner's achievements.

And I hate Doug!

As most of the things you've said we're a result of Randy overspending in a gamble to get Champions League football yes, I think it makes up for it. It doesn't make it right, but I'll take the rough with the smooth, for now. Obviously it has to stop at some point. I fully expect the spending to change this summer. If it doesn't, then I'll join the 'Randy should sell up' crew.<br />

<br />

I just feel that the tightness of the bottom half of the table the last few years has made our predicament seem worse than it is.

• Like 1

A story...

Little Randy asked his mum, his sister and his aunt for some football boots. "Mum, I really want to get these, they look so cool and are on offer."

"Ok Randy" came the reply from his mum, sister and aunt, who all gave him some money to borrow from their purse, so he could get the football boots he really wanted.

"You have to pay this back Randy, make sure you save money from your paper round so you can pay us back next year" chirped Randy's mum, delighted at seeing her boy so happy.

Randy made his way down town, excited that he could finally live his dream by buying this pair of football boots. The boots were shiny claret with a hint of blue - and back in the day these boots had been the best one's around. Randy wanted to make them popular again, he wanted to make these the best boots in the land.

The next week, little Randy arrived at football practise for the first time - he was welcomed with open arms by those who supported the club - and people loved his new boots. Randy was so excited by the thought of everybody loving the boots, he decided that instead of putting aside the money from his paper round, he would buy a pair of boots for each of the other members of the football team. Randy knew this would make him popular - and would also increase the popularity of the boots.

After a few months, the team were playing really well, the players were enjoying having new football boots - instead of the old ragged ones supplied by the old club secretary.

Randy came home after losing in a cup final one weekend and was welcomed by his mum "Randy, do you have the money you saved, we agreed you would pay us back, remember Randy?" asked his mum.

Randy looked down at the floor, he realised he could not pay his family back the money he owed, because he hadn't planned very well. He knew he couldn't get the money back and he had spent all of the money he had made on his paper round, buying boots for the rest of the team.

Randy burst into tears, he ran upstairs and hid in his bedroom, ignoring all communication with his former team-mates, with the exception of two or three phone calls each week.

Randy wrote a letter to his team mates, asking for all the boots back - but they were not good enough and had to be thrown away, nobody wanted to buy these boots - no matter how much Randy believed people would want them.

"You have been really naïve Randy" said his mum, "did you really think a magical fairy would leave money under your bed to pay back your family?"

Randy shook his head, before looking down at his feet, "Sorry Mom, I just didn't think that far ahead".

I just feel that the tightness of the bottom half of the table the last few years has made our predicament seem worse than it is.

I think that's rubbish really.

Regardless of how tight the league is the last two years have been some of the worst in the clubs history.

The last two years have seen our lowest premiership points totals and we've seen record low amount of home wins and home defeats.

None of that is because the bottom half was tight.

How about the Houllier season BJ10? That's usually mentioned as part of the '4 years battling relegation', and that year we finished 9th iirc.

I'm all for positivity but unitl GMac took over we were looking really badly screwed and I think only safe with a few games to go.

Â