The Randy Lerner thread

CI

The rumours could all be true. If Randy DOESN'T want to sell the club and he is looking for renaming the stadium to bring in more money. Maybe this is why the red bull rumours are flying around? Yes they have denied BUYING the club but it is possible they are buying the rights for the stadium. Randy sells the stadium name to Red Bull for a certain amount of cash and Villa Park is called Red Bull Arena/Park?

If it brings the club alot of money why not? I am sure we will all be calling it Villa Park anyway. Or if they agree RB Villa Park? Who knows. Just a theory.

• Like 1

Renaming the ground means **** all to fans in reality. Name one spam fan or fan in general who calls their place the Boylen Ground!? It'll always be Villa Park to everyone, just as the barcodes gaff will always be St James's Park.

I'm not expecting a good outcome to all of this speculation, whether he goes or stays.

The amazing thing here is that, whatever happens, we as supporters can't really do anything about it. The debate either way is fascinating, but I can't help but feel a sense of helplessness in all this.

But, if all else fails, and if claret and blue AVFC of Villa Park B6 Birmingham sudddenly disappears under new colours or name, we can all club together and form FC Villa of Aston etc. I'd come down and paint the white lines and peel the oranges for half time.

I'd like to say exciting times at B6... But it's more nervy... uncertain... it feels damaged and sullied.

Renaming the ground means **** all to fans in reality. Name one spam fan or fan in general who calls their place the Boylen Ground!? It'll always be Villa Park to everyone, just as the barcodes gaff will always be St James's Park.

Emirates.. Ethiad etc.

Personally i dont really care what the grund is called if it means we get some cash to improve the team. Its just a name and people will call it whatever they like

Check out the Birmingham mail for some comments Matt Kendrick made today on the villa sale puts to bed so many comments on here...

Expect 20m again next summer

Expect it to go on 2/3 signings

We tried to purchase a much better player than Hoolahan in January.

Naming rights to help fund a new north stand.

Naming rights to build a new stand makes no sense to me when we're struggling to pay competitive wages.

And transfer fees aren't the major issue, what will the wages be like in the summer? What will happen if benteke is sold?

And TBH Kendrick is basically a mouth piece for the club

Edited by Big_John_10

Someone on another Villa forum posted a list of comments made by Faulkner recently regarding the development of the North Stand and all of them were about how it's something that's not being looked at right now but might be something for the future, the one below was apparently made in 2013 as well.

Paul Faulkner: no, there is currently no timescale to redevelop the North Stand, although it remains something that we would like to do at the right moment in time. I have some very exciting design plans in my office, but at the moment it isn't something we are actively progressing.

I'd imagine the renaming of the stadium is pretty inevitable though.

Edited by useless

You could say the same about Vincent Tan though.  He's made some decisions that the fans don't like, but has he harmed the club?  If he left tomorrow they'd be in a far better position than when he bought them.  Same with the fella up at Hull.

Lerner hasn't even attempted to do anything like change the traditions of the club.

Oh I dunno, he's done his best to change our tradition of always being in the Premier League! ;)

And we have him to thank for the bloody awful badge on our kit?

• Like 1

Emirates.. Ethiad etc.

Personally i dont really care what the grund is called if it means we get some cash to improve the team. Its just a name and people will call it whatever they like

Slippery slope though. Where is the line drawn? How far away is the next step of colours being changed? The possibility arises of that the club becomes a ghost of its former self and where does that leave the supporter? Do we support the 11 players payed ever increasing amounts or the club itself? People say the supporters are the club but there has to be something tangible and constant for us to follow and selling the naming rights to the ground is a step further away from that for me.

I'd be quite happy on the other hand to sell rights to names of stands (holte end excluded) albeit thats operating in a far less lucrative market.

• Like 1

You've got to go back to the late 70s for the last time we had 3 consecutive seasons finishing with less than 50 points.

You've got to go back 10 years further to find the last time we had 4 consecutive seasons with less than 50 points.

We really have seen some historic club lows under this guy.

It might be time to stop moaning about what's gone on and start thinking about the rest of this season and the future.

What do you think of the apparent plan for the next few years?

No point going on about the past anymore

Â