The Randy Lerner thread

CI

With successful, attractive football and good PR we'd hit 50k no probs

I don't know how you can be so certain of this.

40k average? Yes.

50k+ average? I haven't seen any historic evidence to support this.

And then there is the fact that your statement is easier typed than done!

The point I've been trying to make is that throughout the decades we've had spikes that show when we are successful and playing good footie the fanbase is there, we had full houses under MON where we could have probably shifted another 8000 odd tickets

Serve up the goods and the fans will come

Not many would doubt that if we had a couple of years of Champions League level football and the UK economy doesn't go down the pan, we could add 10k to this season's low to mid 30k gates.

Randy's problem is that the extra outlay needed to achieve this would be more than additional income from the increased gates and merchandise.

Unfortunately our sizeable, but not massive fan base and Randy's lack of oil money restricts our ability in this money monster of a football league.

That doesn't mean we'd be better off without Randy though.

With the youth set up we've got we should be ok medium to long term

Gary Gardner being a prime example, we need an owner who is determined to keep such talent and build on it, we then may reach the promised land

We rarely fill the ground out, while it would be good to get the corners sorted out, not sure it is worth it at the moment

It's a difficult one because I thought when the General (i know, should take with pinch of salt) used to talk of a redevelopment that it was too be some integarted building encompassing a new stand with fillaed in corners, mega shop, museum etc. I would imagine that this is a bit of a pipe dream now but what you also have to consider is the loss of revenue from the closure of the stand and the distruption caused during construction.

Personally I can't see Randy funding a project like this from his own pocket, the banks probably don't want to lend it and the club hasn't got the cash so it's a dead duck at the moment in my view?

Had enough of premiership football, I dont want to be another Man City and yes would take it if we had to but I would rather as said above they would all **** off and take manc ity, chelsea with them so we can have an equal game.

Had enough of premiership football, I dont want to be another Man City and yes would take it if we had to but I would rather as said above they would all **** off and take manc ity, chelsea with them so we can have an equal game.

Its not the oil barons that ruined football, its the "Champions" League that did it, the oil barons are just finishing it off.

Do you think taking Chelsea and City out of the league would level the playing field?

Utd will still have vastly more money than anybody else, Liverpool and Arsenal will go back to having a nailed on CL place, and Spurs would probably the club to drop into 4th and dine out on the CL money. Especially if UEFA succeed in preventing more City style buy outs.

The only true way of making the league equal is to apply a wage cap to all clubs regardless of income, but even then who's to say a player chosing to play for city wont end up on £20k a week wages and a £200k a week sponsorship deal negotiated by the club?

In fairness, football was far more boring when United would steam away with the title every year, and the title was every bit as unattainable for a club like Villa as it is now. Atleast now there is a genuine race for the tite.

We had a period of spending further beyond our means than perhaps any other club. We tried to get into the cash cow that is the CL, we just missed out. I think as a result our income didn't grow as much as projected and cut backs need to be made. I don't think we've willingly let any of our best players go.
So after years saying "At least we're not Leeds" we find out that we actually are.

I thought about a year into his regime - Lerner said the north stand position was under review - but would only be developed if it was really needed - ie the ground was packed out.

It would be a major surprise for me - if any major ground redevopment takes place in Lerners reign. I don't beleive he has that level of interest any more.

Â