The Randy Lerner thread

CI

That was enough in those days to be at least top 4

I love this myth.

Go and have a look at how much money it took spurs and city to break the original sky 4.

Bj, honestly, Spent wisely and with tactical management, believe me, that was enough. Unfortunately at this time we did or had niether.....

I remember telling someone, when Lerner first arrived, that we will win the title within the next four years. How wrong was I?

In those first 4 years if we had a decent manager other then that buffoon o'neill in charge given the same amount to spend their is a good chance we would have. If we reached champions league at least, which we should have, then god how things would be different right now.

O'neill is the worst thing that has happened to aston villa in many many years.

I remember telling someone, when Lerner first arrived, that we will win the title within the next four years. How wrong was I?

I think we all believed we had good things coming. I don't think anyone would have believed we'd have had the last few years.

• Like 2

I think that is an exaggeration. I enjoyed finishing sixth and consistently being a good team compared to now. And besides, we did relegate Newcastle United. ;)  

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

I think that is an exaggeration. I enjoyed finishing sixth and consistently being a good team compared to now. And besides, we did relegate Newcastle United. ;)  

Ok we were winning, but the football was just as bad and home form was awful. But I guess we probably had 30 million sitting on the bench....................Always sitting on the bench!

• Like 3

I think I was happy with the appointment of O'Neill at the time but with hindsight I wish he'd have just come in with O'Leary still in charge and then poached Moyes from Everton and given him the big bucks to spend. Who knows, with that amount of money, we might just be a regular top four side now. Mind you, we'd still probably have Lambert as manager because Moyes would still have wanted to go to Manure and mess them up. :D

home form was awful

I though that too, but if you actually view MON's last season it was pretty good.

Our home form has been awful for years and years now has it not? Makes you wonder what the real problem is.

We've been predominantly a counter-attacking team for a long time and haven't had a proper number 10 since Merson. I'd think that has something to do with it.

Yeah I think Randy needs to feel some heat. This is bullshit as the Americans say.

Agree - He doesn't like the limelight so if his name got dragged through the mud in the media...who knows

Don't know about his net spend - but the fee's paid for the team we put out v swansea was around £6m - Barley enough for 1 player.....

Unless I've misunderstood, that can't be right can it?

No I don't think it is right, our team cost about half of what Swansea's did, they had one player on the pitch that cost about the same as all of ours together though.

It's nonsense, Delph cost that much by himself. Valuing a team by the fees paid isn't much of a guide anyway, as we've got Agbonlahor, Weimann, Clark and Baker who didn't cost anything because they're through the youth system. However, if you'd have applied this to the Man U team of Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, the two Nevilles etc, then that didn't cost much either.

But you obsess over the fact that Lambert has spent a lot of money. What use is that obsession if we don't rate signings against other teams.

So, I hear Lerner's coming to a game?

I say we pull our resources, spread the word on the most fashionable social networking sites and all meet up to discuss the plan of action. Then at the game we should put a whoopee cushion on his seat.

If that doesn't make him spend a few quid, I don't know what will.

• Like 2

Like I said. Go and have a look what spurs and city spent to do it.

Spurs finished six points ahead of us in 09-10. If we'd have achieved better results at home, which wasn't about money spent, but more to do with MON's tactics, then we'd have finished fourth that season.

Needing even more money was no excuse for us only winning one more game at home than West Ham and Burnley who finished 17 & 18th. We had the third best away record, but only the 12th 'best' at home. That, IMO, was purely down to how O'Neill set us up to play.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

The share capital has been increased by £90m.  For what reason, hard to say without further details.  Could be to pay off some of the loan notes to the trust, could be to let Lambert go on an O'Neill style transfer splurge, although somehow I doubt it.....

Â