The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Beye was regarded as a very good right-back by Newcastle fans, Shorey was highly rated by Reading fans, Cuellar is a good defender who has been under-used, Sidwell was only ever a squad player as at the time we had Barry, Milner, Young, Petrov, Milner and Reo-Coker as options in midfield. The board surely knew he would struggle to be a regular. I think they were counting on us getting in the top 4 and then just when it looked like we were closing in on it along came Man City.

The fact is every single manager in the history of the game signs dud players. O'Neill also signed some extremely good players, hence we established ourselves as a top 6 side. Yes he signed the aforementioned few and they also have to share some of the blame for underperforming. I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended that they just rotted on the bench or in the reserves.

It's obvious O'Neill fell out with the board and that is why he left. He didn't leave with a wry smile on his face thinking 'those signings will bankrupt Villa, I will get my revenge'. He wanted to be a success. I felt hurt when he left but then I realised that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and it may just be his close-working relationship with Randy and Faulkner was no more. We should remember him as a manager that did a good job for us. Not a superb job but a good one. Sometimes I wonder if O'Leary had a point, maybe some of our fans are fickle? Before you all argue with me on this one again I will point to the West Ham 0-0 draw and quote a shout from a fan in Trinity Road three years ago who shouted: "Friedel you bald t$%£".

Anyone who singles out O'Neill for all of our failings is 100% wrong. He has to take some of the blame but so do the board and so do the fans. Plus he didn't sign Ireland or Makoun did he? Who are you going to blame for those dud deals? Houllier? Faulkner? Randy? O'Neill?!

To all those fans who have a level-headed opinion like mine (although you are entitled to your own balanced opinions) all I can say is Up the Villa!

Your opinion seems pretty sound to me - perhaps a tweak or two here and there, but largely a view I'd share. It seems to me the case that the top brass effectively just let MON do his thing, and then tried to pull it all back when it was realised that the aspirations were not going to be as easily reached as they perhaps thought, plus RL's own re-definition of his financial circumstances.

But he can still afford a new jet..! :winkold:

O'Neill left in bad circumstances and the wage bill was out of control. But the wage bill abnd transfers were approved by the money men in the club - namely Randy and Faulkner

Yeah....but im pretty sure the money men who sanctioned those deals werent aware that most of his buys were going to be sat on their arses for the vast majority of their contracts. Thats where MoN **** us over big time - signing all that shite and then letting them rot on the bench. STILL rotting on the bench/reserves in some cases!!

Beye was regarded as a very good right-back by Newcastle fans, Shorey was highly rated by Reading fans, Cuellar is a good defender who has been under-used, Sidwell was only ever a squad player as at the time we had Barry, Milner, Young, Petrov, Milner and Reo-Coker as options in midfield. The board surely knew he would struggle to be a regular. I think they were counting on us getting in the top 4 and then just when it looked like we were closing in on it along came Man City.

The fact is every single manager in the history of the game signs dud players. O'Neill also signed some extremely good players, hence we established ourselves as a top 6 side. Yes he signed the aforementioned few and they also have to share some of the blame for underperforming. I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended that they just rotted on the bench or in the reserves.

It's obvious O'Neill fell out with the board and that is why he left. He didn't leave with a wry smile on his face thinking 'those signings will bankrupt Villa, I will get my revenge'. He wanted to be a success. I felt hurt when he left but then I realised that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and it may just be his close-working relationship with Randy and Faulkner was no more. We should remember him as a manager that did a good job for us. Not a superb job but a good one. Sometimes I wonder if O'Leary had a point, maybe some of our fans are fickle? Before you all argue with me on this one again I will point to the West Ham 0-0 draw and quote a shout from a fan in Trinity Road three years ago who shouted: "Friedel you bald t$%£".

Anyone who singles out O'Neill for all of our failings is 100% wrong. He has to take some of the blame but so do the board and so do the fans. Plus he didn't sign Ireland or Makoun did he? Who are you going to blame for those dud deals? Houllier? Faulkner? Randy? O'Neill?!

To all those fans who have a level-headed opinion like mine (although you are entitled to your own balanced opinions) all I can say is Up the Villa!

I've said a million times on here Martin O'Neill was like the curates egg good in parts.

He was not the manager we originally all thought he was a messiah, yes me included I was Made up ( to coin a manx phrase) when he come, but was soon to be dissapointed with a few actions that he made like late excursions in to the transfer market, intransigence in tactical changes and I'm sorry to say this guys, but he made more poor signings than good ones ( or should I more accurately say he bought players his men could not get the best out of or both)

David O'Leary also made one or two inspired signings and James Milner was still his initial target before Martin finally nailed him.... Martin Laursen was a colossus too.

Really good managers need a bit more than the odd good signing.

Signing players is an essential factor in the success of any Manager, but the work his coaches do on the training ground is also a big factor in events.

Ron Saunders with Tony Barton and Roy McLaren seemed to turn everything to gold so Rons signings all looked good....BECAUSE THEY MADE THEM GOOD.

Martin O'Neill for me made a decent fist of it in terms of results and league position in terms of longevity of substance not much

There was no long term strategy that was going to continue when he left... when Fergie leaves it will be difficult for them ,but there is a legacy that he will leave behind and unless someone comes in a completely **** up....it will continue.

Ron Saunders once said " When I leave this club, the team will continue to do well for at least another 12 months" ..... the rest is history.

..... and what a bloody great bit of history it was too.

Randy for me is like a kid thats had a firework go off in his hand.

It will take him some time to build back up his confidence of letting managers loose on his tranfer fund.

Unfortunately, and I doubt whether anyone thought it at the time, including me, the worst thing that happened to Randy Lerner and Aston Villa was Martin O'Neill. Had a manager with some tactical nous been appointed, someone who was more capable in the transfer market, particularly given the riches afforded to him, we would probably be in a totally different position now. And for that Randy Lerner would still be lauded by the faithful.

So a bad businessman he may be, but his worst decision, rubber stamping the appointment of his first manager, is one that we would all have taken.

So we are all bad businessmen.

What utter rubbish. O'Neill left in bad circumstances and the wage bill was out of control. But the wage bill abnd transfers were approved by the money men in the club - namely Randy and Faulkner. O'Neill turned us into a consistent top 6 side. He helped turn Gabby into the player he is now. He got us our first win at Old Trafford for over 30 years. He got us wins at Arsenal, Liverpool, an incredible 4-4 draw at Chelsea, we beat Blues 5-1, we beat Everton at Goodison Park in dramatic fashion. We reached the Carling Cup final, we made the FA Cup semis. Yes things went wrong but it took Fergie four years to win a trophy at Man U, O'Neill had five years at Villa and came very, very close. He didn't get everything right but name a manager that does? This comment above is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on here. The managers we've had since are nowhere near as good as O'Neill and we will be very lucky to get someone who can guarantee the same stability that we had again. I'll never forget the booing when we drew 0-0 with West Ham and missed out on second place. In my opinion the beginning of the end and a very sad day to be a Villa fan.

MON really wasn't that great a manager. I mean, as far as league placings go, he really didn't do anything special. You're using a lot of individual results to try and back up this theory that MON is some kind of great manager but every manager has their own set of good, and bad, results. Even last season which was pretty poor we had the wins over Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and the epic 3-3 with Chelsea. Doesn't prove much.

As far as Gabby goes, McLeish has arguably got him playing the best football of his career so far in an inferior squad.

Your opinion seems pretty sound to me - perhaps a tweak or two here and there, but largely a view I'd share. It seems to me the case that the top brass effectively just let MON do his thing, and then tried to pull it all back when it was realised that the aspirations were not going to be as easily reached as they perhaps thought, plus RL's own re-definition of his financial circumstances.

But he can still afford a new jet..! :winkold:

I guess after the Curtis Davies in - Cahill out and 5 mill for the benefit

it was time for Shutter Island.

and he still has a tattoo

Has anyone ever actually seen this tattoo?

Yes i saw it Saturday, he was showing it off by the players entrance at the back of the Trinity road stand, its the outline of our lion about 5" tall and it looks really good.

Plus he didn't sign Ireland did he?

yes he did

Are you sure about that? If so where is your proof?

He was manager when we sold Milner and got Ireland plus money in return?

The deal was completed after MON left.

but MON must have signed off on it or agreed part of it as was only a week after he left. transfer deals take a long time to get done these days especially when the player didnt want to come here and needed a pay-off

What annoys me about recent transfer policy is that we don't seem to learn any lessons - buying players from "bigger" clubs who haven't played regularly for a while is a huge risk, especially when we have limited resource/wage capacity etc..

- Sidwell was first

- Ireland was second

- closely followed by Hutton and Jenas

I would personally rather we signed players that were playing regularly at a lower level if we are to take a "gamble".

Â