• N'Zogbia
    • Westwood
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Weimann
    • Sylla (for N'Zogbia 79)
    • Holman (for El Ahmadi 82)
    • Baker (for Agbonlahor 90+2)

we lost a 2 goal lead against a team fighting for the CL. teams lose 2 goal leads - it happens. we scored 3 good goals and we didn't look ready to crumble when every cross came in. their defence was at fault for gabby's goal - ours was at fault for theirs. normal football stuff. we didn't get out-played - we didn't get slaughtered - we didn't concede 8 goals.

a draw away at everton has to be seen as positive.

• Like 1

Before the game I would of taken a point, but yet again conceding another late goal and from a **** corner has made me more depressed and thinking we are going down. Will update after watching the highlights tonight on MOTD 

Our goals are good

The goals we concede are woeful

So a stalemate

20 to 5 and everything looked great. All results turned against us then. I hate Chelsea by the way.

Can't even buy any luck at the minute which us just as well , even if we could Lerner couldn't afford it

The Weimann miss really hurts now, doesn't it? I expected him to do much better than that, that was painfully bad.

Not really to be honest. We scored about 5 minutes after it anyway 

We're gone. 100%. The other teams are running away from us now. We need a few wins just to get close to them again, but we won't even win 1. We have already been relegated.

Interesting. Could you tell me who won the league, the cups and who went down with us? And did you enjoy the Champions' League final? Scratch that last one... of course you didn't.

Southampton may get dragged back in

Apart from its relationship to Villa's fortunes I'm keen for this outcome.

Yes he did say form looks good. But he meant the way we are playing...not our actual form. His interviews are a waste of time to be honest...he's terrible at them, not that it's a main concern for me.

Agree that the play itself is what translates as form. And, as you imply, all sports interviews are a waste of time; filler for the media machine, nothing more. Generally speaking, there are few things more banal or inane than a BBC interview of a football player/manager.

Edited by Borgs

Let me tell you where I'm at:

IMO there are more positives than negatives to take from this game.

We know our defence is tosh - it will be until the end of the season.  Whether there is 4 of them back there or 5 they are going to concede.

However, the real positive to come out of the game is we've had a real go at another team and if we keep with this formation we can cause other teams lots of problems.

With attacking players of Benteke, Gabby, N'Zog and Weimann we will create chances and score goals which means we have a chance of winning games.

This is only the second time this season in the league we've managed to score 3 goals and remember Everton have only lost once at home in the league (I think!))

Yes, the manner of the equaliser was annoying but we need to get behind the team until the rest of the season, and see where it gets us.

Up the Villa!

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

A very good point at a hard place to get one. Shocking that we are giving away these late goals still.

Really liking the look of the front 4 of Benteke, Weimann, Agbonlahor and N'Zogbia.

Unfortunately it is the back 4 that will see us relegated. If we don't beat West Ham, we're as good as gone IMO.

Lambert needs to start Baker and push Clark over to left back. If we can't defend astutely we might as well have an extra physical presence back there.

El Ahmadi is a lost cause I feel. For the West Ham game I'd bring in Sylla for El Ahmadi and Baker for Bennett.

As for the ref today. Wow. Literally couldn't touch one of their players.

I understand why you say that - I think the problem is Baker's lack of attacking ability. No easy answer really

For one hour I have seen the team that I expected from Lambert since the beginning. 
Four (not five) defenders, a very attacking-minded approach to the game with four offensive players even away, attractive football, and three quality strikers. 
In the last half an hour we collapsed as usual, we went under pression, we stopped playing limiting to belt the ball clear in Dunne style,  and in these conditions the opponents' goal is only a question of time. Vlaar's marking was once again ridiculous, Clark is not a central defender, and generally speaking the defence has not the minimum of the organization that one would expect from a Premier League team. We must work hard on the defence and on the midfield that doesn't protect the defence.

Would have took a point in the away games at swansea, albion, everton before hand...

However 6 points thrown away is bad enough, but its the manner of not seeing out games and keeping focused till the whistle blows.

Still giving 2 goal leads away and conceding silly goals off corners will not keep you in top flight football!..

IMO We were down before christmas so its no real shock,

All though it still hurts like **** to see my beloved club being ripped to bits by the gimps that pretend to run it!

Time to let go now people, lerners transition is officially over,

We have gone from a very good top 6 side, to relegation bottlers in 2/3 seasons.

Will the last person to leave villa park please turn out the lights...

The partys over!..

I'm less gutted today than I was right after the game. A draw away at Everton is a good result which a lot of teams in the PL would take, even the ones in the european spots.

Sadly the other results didn't go our way.

A win next week could lift us out of the relegation zone, but this season has shown us that we can only get points when none are expected, not when we really have to (eg Wigan, newcastle, southampton,...).

it will be between us Southampton, Wigan and reading. I don't believe QPR can get a run going.

crucial for us will be the games against reading and QPR mid march.6 out of 6 could see us in a good position

The second half against Newcastle and yesterday's game should banish any idea of Lambert returning to his preferred system which is the main positive we should take.

The players looked more comfortable yesterday and lets remind ourselves that we were beating a team on their own ground who hammered us earlier in the season. The fact that we lost a lead again can be attributed to what has happened previously in the season with a belief in having the ability to hold onto a lead being destroyed by those results.

We are a young team, too young and therefore confidence and belief is fragile especially with no real leaders on the pitch.

I posted previously that if Lambert changed the system i would be more confident of us staying up. He has changed the system and buoyed by the last two aforementioned performances, as long as Lambert doesn't revert back to type i still feel we have a cracking chance of staying in the Premiership but we can no longer rely on other results to do that.  

• Like 1

Â