Paul Lambert

Pilchard

But every decent team in the PL have a combination of young and older ( more experienced ) players.

Why are we trying to be different ?

Because we can't compete with the wages and transfer fees of the older players in those decent teams. We need to find a different way to compete.

There should be no reason why we shouldn't be able to financially compete as a top 6/7 team. Our owner has restricted us slightly with his awful decisions allowing other clubs to over take us in how much money they make.

We've got no chance of finacially competing with the top 4 but I'd be amazed if this was our aim with the current approach.

Ah finally, someone who see's it the way I do.

Randy has suckered everyone into beleiving cheap players on low wages is the way forward for Aston Villa. - Why everyone beleives this is beyond me, Sure we can't rub shoulders with the big 4. Buts thats no reason why we should run along the lines of swansea, wigan.

The low fee\low wages isn't good for Aston Villa, However it may be best for Randy Lerner, who has little time or interest in the well being of Aston Villa

Ah another one who just doesn't get it - so explain to me why only signing players for huge transfer fees and silly wages is the way forward?

• Like 1

I think it works more for both parties really. I do believe that Lambert really wants to grab young players that are unproven on this level because he feels he can mold a team better that way. They also have more desire to play better, rather than some others can have when they have played on the higher level for some time. Lerner obviously wants to trim the wages since his previous attempts didn`t pan out as he originally thought it would. Would Lambert sign better players if he had more money? Yes sure, he would probably get more promising youngsters around the world but that by no means is a safety. I do like our approach so much more then many other teams are doing in the premier league though. Fulham, Stoke, West Ham too name a few. This upcoming season will give us a much clearer look on what we can expect from now on, if he gets his signings in early and not in mid august of course. I don`t know about you guys but this excites me a lot. We obviously can`t match the top 4 with their financial power, so this is the best way in my opinion imo. Bigger chance of having success with players wanting to say as well, but this is very relative to the player though.

• Like 4

But every decent team in the PL have a combination of young and older ( more experienced ) players.

Because we can't compete with the wages and transfer fees of the older players in those decent teams. We need to find a different way to compete.

There should be no reason why we shouldn't be able to financially compete as a top 6/7 team. Our owner has restricted us slightly with his awful decisions allowing other clubs to over take us in how much money they make.

We've got no chance of finacially competing with the top 4 but I'd be amazed if this was our aim with the current approach.

Randy has suckered everyone into beleiving cheap players on low wages is the way forward for Aston Villa. - Why everyone beleives this is beyond me, Sure we can't rub shoulders with the big 4. Buts thats no reason why we should run along the lines of swansea, wigan.

The low fee\low wages isn't good for Aston Villa, However it may be best for Randy Lerner, who has little time or interest in the well being of Aston Villa

Ah another one who just doesn't get it - so explain to me why only signing players for huge transfer fees and silly wages is the way forward?

Why does it always have to be one extreme or the other?

We really need more signings in the Benteke/Milner/Ashley Young price range if we are going to compete at the top end of the table.

Only signing cheap punts is going to be as big a risk as signing overpriced mercenaries.

But Ashley Young was very much an expensive punt. That could easily have been a waste of big bucks.

And we probably will buy 1 or 2 players this season in the Benteke price range, as well as 3 or 4 cheap punts.

Why does it always have to be one extreme or the other?

We really need more signings in the Benteke/Milner/Ashley Young price range if we are going to compete at the top end of the table.

Only signing cheap punts is going to be as big a risk as signing overpriced mercenaries.

well, yes and no. the thing with cheap punts is, they won't all come good and that's kind of the point. get 4 or 5 who might turn into a great player, if one does you've covered the cost of them all and then some whilst if you have good scouts (lowton, westwood, benteke woudl suggest we do) then it's unlikely that all of them won't make it. you aren't putting all your eggs in one expensive basket either. 

also how do you know we won't enter the market in the £7m to £10m range? PL got benteke in that range, he was sure from the start he was a player too it seems. so a couple of "sure shots" and 5 or "cheap punts" and we coudl be adding 3 or 4 very very good players to what since february has been a pretty well performing bunch that will only get better.

w00t.

I haven't said that. I have said we can't compete with the big 4.

But Aston Villa is still a massive, massive club  - and shouldn't be limited to £2.5m players.

Again he may sign one player for 2.5million, but another for 5million, as long as we improve couldn't care what we pay.

We paid 4million for Hutton, 9.5Million for N'Zogbia, 8Million for Warnock. I'd rather give players for 2.5million a go.

We're only a few weeks into the transfer window, for all those saying, 'only signing players who are cheap isn't the way forward', who's to say he's only going to do that. He might yet buy a few players who are of a Benteke/Young/Milner price range. Wait till the end of the window to judge the kind of players he's signing, not before we've even signed anyone.

• Like 1

Paul Lambert says Aston Villa will not make any big summer signings 
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has warned the club's fans not to expect any major signings in the summer. 
Villa secured their Premier League status for next season on Tuesday when Arsenal beat Wigan 4-1 to condemn the Latics to relegation. 
Paul Lambert's Villa signings
Karim El Ahmadi (Feyenoord) 
Brett Holman (AZ Alkmaar) 
Matthew Lowton (Sheff Utd) 
Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord) 
Joe Bennett (Middlesbrough) 
Jordan Bowery (Chesterfield) 
Christian Benteke (Genk, pictured) 
Ashley Westwood (Crewe) 
Yacouba Sylla (Clermont) 
That means Lambert can start planning ahead, with a priority being sorting out striker Christian Benteke's future. 
But the Villa boss does not expect any big summer signings, saying: "Those days have gone." 
He added: "We have stripped it right back. We want players who are hungry. I look at players with character, not those who just want money." 
Lambert adopted a similar policy last summer, bringing in relatively inexperienced or unknown players, such as Ashley Westwood, Matt Lowton and Benteke, who have since gone on to impress in the Premier League. 

What about this then ?!

Looks like more of the same for next season " we go again "

So, I am expecting another season at the wrong half of the table.

We're only a few weeks into the transfer window, for all those saying, 'only signing players who are cheap isn't the way forward', who's to say he's only going to do that. He might yet buy a few players who are of a Benteke/Young/Milner price range. Wait till the end of the window to judge the kind of players he's signing, not before we've even signed anyone.

I am not saying we are not going to be buying a few more established quality players and I'm not judging signings before they happen.

I'm just saying that blend needs to happen if we are going to be pushing for Europe. We won't do it on cheap punts alone just as we won't do it signing mercenaries. 

Paul Lambert says Aston Villa will not make any big summer signings 
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has warned the club's fans not to expect any major signings in the summer. 
Villa secured their Premier League status for next season on Tuesday when Arsenal beat Wigan 4-1 to condemn the Latics to relegation. 
Paul Lambert's Villa signings
Karim El Ahmadi (Feyenoord) 
Brett Holman (AZ Alkmaar) 
Matthew Lowton (Sheff Utd) 
Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord) 
Joe Bennett (Middlesbrough) 
Jordan Bowery (Chesterfield) 
Christian Benteke (Genk, pictured) 
Ashley Westwood (Crewe) 
Yacouba Sylla (Clermont) 
That means Lambert can start planning ahead, with a priority being sorting out striker Christian Benteke's future. 
But the Villa boss does not expect any big summer signings, saying: "Those days have gone." 
He added: "We have stripped it right back. We want players who are hungry. I look at players with character, not those who just want money." 
Lambert adopted a similar policy last summer, bringing in relatively inexperienced or unknown players, such as Ashley Westwood, Matt Lowton and Benteke, who have since gone on to impress in the Premier League. 

What about this then ?!

Looks like more of the same for next season " we go again "

So, I am expecting another season at the wrong half of the table.

Why? Did you not catch a glimpse of the improvement those players made in the second half of the season, what makes you think they're going to regress?

It's all a bit of a misnomer anyway, Villa have rarely made "big summer signings". Even under O'Neill we never spent more than £12m on a player. We just signed quite a few in the £5-10m range. An awful lot of shit might I add. At least when Lambert buys shit it's only £2m worth.

Judge his dealings come the end of next season, learn from the mistakes of last. Unless you still believe he did a poor job last summer? 

I am not saying we are not going to be buying a few more established quality players and I'm not judging signings before they happen.

I'm just saying that blend needs to happen if we are going to be pushing for Europe. We won't do it on cheap punts alone just as we won't do it signing mercenaries. 

I agree. But when do the likes of Benteke, Lowton and Westwood cease to be "cheap punts" and become quality players we signed regardless of their cost? 

I agree. But when do the likes of Benteke, Lowton and Westwood cease to be "cheap punts" and become quality players we signed regardless of their cost? 

I would say Benteke was not a cheap punt. He was pretty highly rated by managers in the game. He kicked up a fuss to get a move so his price was lower but was still our biggest signing last summer. A couple more signings in that bracket to key positions would do wonders for our squad.

Players like Lowton, Bennett, Westwood, Sylla, KEA etc are the cheap puts. In the case of Lowton it has worked out very well for us, and the others have had varying degrees of success. If the bulk of our transfer activity will be similar to these guys we will again have to be prepared to see some of them flop and our results to suffer again (though hopefully we could still finish higher than last season).

Players like Lowton, Bennett, Westwood, Sylla, KEA etc are the cheap puts. In the case of Lowton it has worked out very well for us, and the others have had varying degrees of success. If the bulk of our transfer activity will be similar to these guys we will again have to be prepared to see some of them flop and our results to suffer again (though hopefully we could still finish higher than last season).

3/5 were massively successful in your example. I get your point but your examples are cack.

I'm with Stefan.

I had forgotten about Sylla momentarily, there's a "cheap punt" who didn't take months to settle because he was coming in to an already settled side.

We can't use last seasons transitional period to guess what will happen this summer because the circumstances are entirely different.

3/5 were massively successful in your example. I get your point but your examples are cack.

Massively successful is a bit of a relative term though.  

Massively successful for a team finishing 15th - yes. Massively successful for a team aiming for top 6? Not so much, they are still too raw and flawed for that (even Lowton I'd say).

To become that team finishing top 6 we will need to keep adding real quality to our successful punts and have the right mix of both.

Massively successful for our current stage in our development. Yes. Not to mention Westwood, Sylla and Lowton were stand out players in our upturn of form that led us to 7th in the form table.

Dont think he likes Carruthers, who I think will be off.

Out of curiosity, what are you basing this on?

This is my impression aswell stevo. For me carruthers looked really promising in his few appearances the season before last, and given lamberts approach towards giving the youngsters a chance I was very surprised that he didn't feature at all this year. Seems strange.