Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Obvious good manager is obvious

Hilarious.

Fantastic win. Thank god he finally saw sense at half time against Newcastle.

Deserves credit for our improvement for getting his decisions right recently.

Lets hope he's able to achieve the bare minimum he should this season.

Obvious good manager is obvious

Hilarious.

Fantastic win. Thank god he finally saw sense at half time against Newcastle.

Deserves credit for our improvement for getting his decisions right recently.

Lets hope he's able to achieve the bare minimum he should this season.

What happened at half time at Newcastle?

It seems to be tweaked slightly but yeah at HT against Newcastle we went with this kind of formation.

Deserves credit for finally getting it right but at the same time it shows what a big part his decisions had in such an awful season.

• Like 2

It seems to be tweaked slightly but yeah at HT against Newcastle we went with this kind of formation.

Deserves credit for finally getting it right but at the same time it shows what a big part his decisions had in such an awful season.

I guess from your comments we probably view PL in the same way, ie not totally convinced but pleased he seems to be getting it right most of the time. We were a wondergoal away from losing today.

If he gets it right then we stay up so yes I'm very pleased.

I haven't been too impressed with him this season.

How did you feel about McLeish last season?

The less said the better ;-)

Credit where it is due - tactics and starting personnel were strange, but it worked! We have 3 wins from 4, coming against other drop candidates. Important games that have yielded important results.

Well done Lambert - lets keep the momentum going.

• Like 1

To be fair PL has never not believed we will be safe and things would change, even over Christmas when he could have walked he held his head high and stood firm, I will be honest and say I was loosing faith in him and close to wanting him out, now even if we take a down turn I want him to stay, I truly believe he will turn us round and we will be top 12 next year. He just has that something about him which stands out, character and self belief and a willingness to improve. The way he has stood by the players through thick and thin tells me how he has the dressing room and they play for him. CB and AW will stay with us next year as they will want to play for him of this I am pretty certain even the noise coming out of VP suggest this will be the case, I also believe the way the team is playing now and the togetherness of the squad will also go a long way to help this happen.

For those thinking top 12 is un achievable look at the points difference this year it would not take a lot to achieve.

Will we be relegated this year, no is the simple answer, we are on a roll, decisions are going in our favour now and the momentum is with us, this will see us safe, 2 more wins will do it.

• Like 1

Funny he is already the manager I thought we were getting. Not he finished article, lets face it there's no way we could attract the finished article either as player or manager, but certainly a quality manager.

• Like 1

If he keeps us up then we may as well stick with him.

Hopefully he'll become the manager I thought we were getting.

"we may as well stick with him"?!

sounds like begrudgingly accepting him whilst thinking someone else would be better? so you might prefer us to sack another manager, pay him off and start again with someone else? really?

I like our attacking threat that he's brought about in our play. My concern is the fact that we've been unable to keep a clean sheet since forever and in the second half of games we get a tanking from the opposition. I know we scored two amazing goals in the second half yesterday but let's face it, we all thought "here we go again" until Lowton scored.

Lambert still has work to do to convince me that he's the right man. Having said that, I wish that Lerner would get his balls back off his ex and give Lambo some decent funding, I'm talking £30m, in the summer so he can go out and buy a good left back, another decent centre back (maybe two!), a big, strong defensive midfielder and a creative midfielder who can open teams up. I think we'd really see what Lambert is capable of then.

We have to see improvements next season but if we stay up (which I believe we will) and Lambert gets about £20m to spend again to strengthen areas, I'm confident that we will be better.

By the summer he will be bringing in players to HIS team, that play HIS way -which I think will be a center back, a left back and another midfielder.

When we stay up, it will be because of 2 major factors, Benteke and Guzan.

Both of which were solely down to Lambert.

Its nice to know that staying in the Premiership is now viewed by some posters as an achievement for our club.

Did you hold that same view with our previous managers?

I think a large proportion of the board thought 14th-17th would be a good result when doing the predictions at the start of the season.  Not that any of us would like to have come there but realistically with the way the squad's needed revamping many of us did expect it.  Lambert is trying to fix the mess the previous managers have put us in which is where he gets more leeway.

I seem to remember someone on the board mentioning qualification for Europe and not many fans mentioning another relegation battle apart from one or two on here who voiced their concerns with the imbalance within our squad.

We've been in a mess for a while and we've not been able to throw loads of money at fixing the team and the amount of money we've been losing. It doesn't matter what people hoped for this season—nobody wanted a relegation battle—but in the context of the last few years it's not that surprising what has happened. The difference between Lambert and McLeish, for me, is obvious. One manager played horrible football and bought badly, had a history of relegations and was totally wrong for the club, I felt doomed last year, and then there is Lambert who has a history of attacking football, good buys, and promotions, and also of turning clubs around who have been in a mess and making them good. Just like us. It doesn't happen instantly. As long as we survive this season we can build and Lambert is ideal. 

If you read the post i was replying to, then my answer was self explanatory.

As for the rest of your post just a few pointers.

While Lambert has a history of promotions, through convenience or otherwise, you seem to have excluded him walking out on other clubs.

He has also broken a few records here which won't exactly stand out on his CV.

We have been hovering around the relegation places for most of the season due to a defence and midfield which is simply shocking and the stats prove that.

In addition he tried to play a system which simply didn't suit the quality of player at his disposal and actually persisted with that system even though a blind man could see it wasn't working.

He therefore did not identify with a pre-season behind him, the correct system to play with the players available until nearly two thirds of the season had gone and that is why we are currently still under threat of relegation.

It might also be fair to say that if Lambert had been managing any other club this season with the same run of results he would have been sacked.

He has been lucky to follow probably one of the worst managers this club has seen and has been given more leeway because of that.

Edited by Morpheus