Paul Lambert

Pilchard

The only club where he's got a good previous record is Norwich,

We've seen time and time again that sometimes managers just aren't good enough to step up to the bigger clubs. Just becuase Lambert was good with Norwich doesn't mean he's going to be automatically good with us. As it turns out he's been dreadful so far.

So he can motivate Weimann, but what about the other players? Football isn't all about motivation but Lambert's still doing a piss poor job at it. We've looked gutless many times this season.

Im not necessarily saying he is able to motivate Andi and that he should be applauded. What I am saying is - why are we pointing the finger at the manager when the players are clearly capable of motivating themselves - as shown by Weimann? There grown adults for goodness sake. The attitude of our players over the last 3 years has been nothing short of an utter disgrace. An embarrassment! And there still getting away with it???????? Were still blaming the manager? Were still saying Gabby bleeds claret and blue?? HE CLEARLY DOESNT. 

The manager is there to get the best out of players. But they have to take some responsibility themselves.

Its Monday morning at Carrington. Robin Van Persie cant be arsed. Do you really think SAF would be sat there mulling over ways to motivate him. I think not. Hed be out the door alas Bent, Ireland etc. 

From top to bottom, football has lost all sense of reality. While we keep calling for the manager to go - the players will continue with this untouchable attitude.

Where did I say the players didn't also need to take responsibility?

You didnt tbf, though your criticism of Lambert does seem pretty brutal!

You see this is supposedly a thread about Paul Lambert and discussions re him. As said some would try their hardest, and I still maintain it's more about saving face for them, to lay the blame for any problems at the feet of anyone BUT Lambert.

The reality for me though is that he has significantly contributed to the issues we have now at the club. He has failed in his job as manager and is showing no signs of being up to managing the club in the future. As said many times, to be in charge of record defeats, losses to 4th division clubs, appalling tactics consistently, awful tactics, throwing away points constantly, failing to address the most basic weaknesses in play is really down to him.

I wanted the bloke at the start but for me it became clear very quickly that he did not have the right abilities to do this job and should have been got rid of sooner rather than later. One of the worst managers I have seen at the club and I have watched them since the days of Tommy Doc.

Now there are numerous threads to discuss Lerner (who I also think has massively let down the club) and various players and their relative merits etc

I agree 110% Not only that but I am even beginning to think that Lambert actually wants to take us down to the Championship so that he can bring us up again as champions. We cant be champions of the Premier League so be champions of the Championship.The only thing wrong with that is that if we cant beat Ipswich and Bradford over 2 legs then I fail to see how we can beat teams like Cardiff,Forest,Leeds and Wolves.

If we go down,and there is a real possability that will happen, then we will be down for a long time.

You see this is supposedly a thread about Paul Lambert and discussions re him. As said some would try their hardest, and I still maintain it's more about saving face for them, to lay the blame for any problems at the feet of anyone BUT Lambert.

The reality for me though is that he has significantly contributed to the issues we have now at the club. He has failed in his job as manager and is showing no signs of being up to managing the club in the future. As said many times, to be in charge of record defeats, losses to 4th division clubs, appalling tactics consistently, awful tactics, throwing away points constantly, failing to address the most basic weaknesses in play is really down to him.

I wanted the bloke at the start but for me it became clear very quickly that he did not have the right abilities to do this job and should have been got rid of sooner rather than later. One of the worst managers I have seen at the club and I have watched them since the days of Tommy Doc.

Now there are numerous threads to discuss Lerner (who I also think has massively let down the club) and various players and their relative merits etc

I agree 110% Not only that but I am even beginning to think that Lambert actually wants to take us down to the Championship so that he can bring us up again as champions. We cant be champions of the Premier League so be champions of the Championship.The only thing wrong with that is that if we cant beat Ipswich and Bradford over 2 legs then I fail to see how we can beat teams like Cardiff,Forest,Leeds and Wolves.

If we go down,and there is a real possability that will happen, then we will be down for a long time.

We did beat Ipswich. I fail to see how a manager who has gained promotion to the prem and then taken the next step up the ladder would want to end up back in the championship.

• Like 1

I doubt and hope he won't be around if we get relegated.

No manager should keep their job after a relegation, especially ome who has had £20m + to spend on players.

His results and some of the performances we have seen this season warrant brutal criticism.

Lose to Reading and i think Villa Park will become very hostile towards him.

Doubt it. There'll be a few boos but the blind support will continue and we'll be hearing his name chanted as usual at the next game.

His results and some of the performances we have seen this season warrant brutal criticism.

Doubt it. There'll be a few boos but the blind support will continue and we'll be hearing his name chanted as usual at the next game.

Given that the next match after Reading is QPR i hope that regardless of the Reading result the crowd get behind the team and Lambert. 

Given that the next match after Reading is QPR i hope that regardless of the Reading result the crowd get behind the team and Lambert. 

You would think so, but the pressure he and the team will be under if after losing to Reading, will be immense. A lot of fans are now becoming resigned that we are going down and that will be amplified after a defeat at Reading, so much so, i really can see the crowd turning pretty hostile faiirly quickly.

Yeah - up the Villa. Last thing we need is another summer of paying off another manager and another worrying period debating who we will have next. Because this time round, you really will be looking at Bruce, Curbishley, McCarthy and various other horror show tempters.

'I'd take any of those over Lambert right now...' Yeah, bollox would you.

And for the win, I support the team, AND the manager at this point. To do otherwise with the limited time we have available to save ourselves would be very counter productive. I'm not blind to everything that has gone on, whether it be shit players, shit decisions, shit refs or whatever. To pin it all on one person however is very blinkered and sadly, not all in life is black and white. He's no genius - but it takes more than 1 man to impact on a team. I mean, last season, it wasn't all Eck's fault was it?

I'm afraid it's Aston Villa Football Club that has let me down over the last 24 months. They have lied to me, alienated me, and they have left me feeling embarrassed to be associated with them.

And for the extra time winner - this has naff all to do about 'saving face.' It's certainly not blind support. True enough, at times, Lambo and his army have been annoying and humiliating. And if we have the ability to get somebody different who can do better with the restrictions that appear to be in force at this club, then we would be fools not to consider them. But it is far from just 'his' fault. This is still a work in progress - a dangerous work it seems at times and very difficult to stomach. Given the silence in general from the club other than trying to eek out more and more money from it's fans, it appears to me that Paul is just the current club scapegoat.

My fear is not whether Lambert will be in charge next season (come what may). I'm more concerned about who comes next, and what state we will be in if the current restrictions that seem to be in place at this club are not concluded sharpish.

I'm far from happy about things as they are right now, and I have doubts that Paul has the genius within him to make this club great, or what we would like to think as being great... certainly not with the hamstrung way the club is owned and how it is behaving right now. Who can actually do a satisfactory job under those conditions? And I have a feeling that once he has been hounded out of here, he will take a club like Leicester or Derby into the top ten of the Premier League, doing the double over us somewhere along the way.

I will concede that he might be at the right club, but just at the wrong time. I really want him to succeed here and be given a chance to do something positive for us. While I have my doubts right now, like so many others, I am willing to give him more time to do it. Think about what happens next.

• Like 2

As posted earlier, I can see him walking at the season end before his reputation is totally destroyed. I won't miss him, he's been poor. Hand the baton over to a Villa man, someone who understands what this club is all about. Get John Gregory back, with someone like Teale or Grayson as assistant manager, possibly Laursen.

Yeah - up the Villa. Last thing we need is another summer of paying off another manager and another worrying period debating who we will have next. Because this time round, you really will be looking at Bruce, Curbishley, McCarthy and various other horror show tempters.

And for the win, I support the team, AND the manager at this point. To do otherwise with the limited time we have available to save ourselves would be very counter productive. I'm not blind to everything that has gone on, whether it be shit players, shit decisions, shit refs or whatever. To pin it all on one person however is very blinkered and sadly, not all in life is black and white. He's no genius - but it takes more than 1 man to impact on a team. I mean, last season, it wasn't all Eck's fault was it?

I'm afraid it's Aston Villa Football Club that has let me down over the last 24 months. They have lied to me, alienated me, and they have left me feeling embarrassed to be associated with them.

And for the extra time winner - this has naff all to do about 'saving face.' It's certainly not blind support. True enough, at times, Lambo and his army have been annoying and humiliating. And if we have the ability to get somebody different who can do better with the restrictions that appear to be in force at this club, then we would be fools not to consider them. But it is far from just 'his' fault. This is still a work in progress - a dangerous work it seems at times and very difficult to stomach. Given the silence in general from the club other than trying to eek out more and more money from it's fans, it appears to me that Paul is just the current club scapegoat.

My fear is not whether Lambert will be in charge next season (come what may). I'm more concerned about who comes next, and what state we will be in if the current restrictions that seem to be in place at this club are not concluded sharpish.

I'm far from happy about things as they are right now, and I have doubts that Paul has the genius within him to make this club great, or what we would like to think as being great... certainly not with the hamstrung way the club is owned and how it is behaving right now. Who can actually do a satisfactory job under those conditions? And I have a feeling that once he has been hounded out of here, he will take a club like Leicester or Derby into the top ten of the Premier League, doing the double over us somewhere along the way.

I will concede that he might be at the right club, but just at the wrong time. I really want him to succeed here and be given a chance to do something positive for us. While I have my doubts right now, like so many others, I am willing to give him more time to do it. Think about what happens next.

Great post. Lambert isn't without his faults but he'll turn things around if he is given the resources and time to do so.

And for those wanting ex Villa managers like Little and Gregory, take a look at their recent managerial achievements and explain how they are better qualified than PL to sort out the mess created by O'Neill, Lerner and Faulkner.

Great post. Lambert isn't without his faults but he'll turn things around if he is given the resources and time to do so.

And for those wanting ex Villa managers like Little and Gregory, take a look at their recent managerial achievements and explain how they are better qualified than PL to sort out the mess created by O'Neill, Lerner and Faulkner.

Lambert will never turn things around. He is useless and tactically one of the worst managers I have seen at any football club at any level anywhere in the world

I have massive respect for what Gregory and Little did as managers of the club but that was 10-15 years ago, the footballing world has changed a lot, they have done nothing of note since their time at Villa, and to appoint either of them would mean we would soon be using the words "blue" and "square" rather a lot in our discussions.

• Like 2

If we were going for a former villa man back, which I don't necessarily think would be a great idea, I'd go for Little 

Not a great motivator, that job was Gregorys......and we witnessed how good he was with that, when he was Manager. love him or hate him, hes not everyones cup of tea, but i would prefer him in charge at Wigan rather than Lambert. Would have him back tomorrow.

Edited by MagicMushroom
  • Like 1