Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Difference is I wouldn't actually be saying that about Mcduff , different manager, different opinion. But I don't recall having a go personally or throwing digs at anyone that did support Mcduff at the time he was here, that was upto them.

Oh right and the difference between lamberks football/tactics and mcduffs is?

Difference is I wouldn't actually be saying that about Mcduff , different manager, different opinion. But I don't recall having a go personally or throwing digs at anyone that did support Mcduff at the time he was here, that was upto them.

So massive that if you can't see it you must be at a dribbling idiot.

• Like 2

So massive that if you can't see it you must be at a dribbling idiot.

I can only see one dribbling idiot from here!..

Edited by sutherland

For me Mcduff always set teams up defensively , never looking positively a games at all. The Tottenham game away being a case in point with about 8 defenders on the pitch. In addition he never had a long term plan at the club , plus his man management skills for me were totally absent. Look at his latest managerial venture took a team that was looking at play offs backwards, new old bloke comes in and the team takes off again. Just such a poor manager.

Lambert for me sets teams up positively, perhaps too positively at times. In fact another strange thing for me is we wanted a manager who set a team up more positively and now fans are criticising him for being too positive! He has a plan for the long term of the club, many wouldnt agree with it but I do as it is a plan which is in place to deal with the way the owner wants to run the club and no other plan has a chance of success because no other plan would be supported by the owner. I think he does have good man management skills , some may question the handling of bent and Ireland in that and that is fair enough but we don't know all the stuff behind the scenes and looking at how he managed players for a longer time at Norwich he had a gag reaction from them. For me we need stability and a long term plan at this club, lambert offers that. Constantly changing going from one strategy to another is one of the reasons we are in this position. That and a poor owner. Lambert is trying to change and cope with all that and retain our league status, not an easy job at all and one that mourinho, fergie and guardiola would struggle with. Lambert is not at that level , I just feel the criticism he gets at times is like fans expect him to be a that level.

For me he will be a good manager for us given time and support. I just suspect we won't see it, I just feel he may leave at he end of the season and we will have to start all over again with another manager in a different league and it will be many a year before we come back. Troubling times that do not need a reactionary response to, but which many fans want to see.

Edited by Richard

Some fans like lambert and rate him as a top manager who will do well for us

Some fans don't and want him out regardless

I hold the first opinion butI appreciate that some may have a different opinion that's fine I can see why that may be the case. However what I can't understand is why those who hold the second opinion get frustrated and seem more interested and concerned that people don't want the manager out. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on the manager, only he can do that although for most I doubt he will. And I'm not having a go at anyone who is slagging him off, that's upto them. I will debate the point but I'm not throwing digs around, can't understand why any villa fan would to be honest

It's not so much that people are more interested in people who don't want him out (I don't think many actively want him out) but rather that certain people just seem to complete ignore what a poor job he's done and continue to trot out the same line without really giving any facts to support it. Let's face it, if Houllier or McLeish had done what Lambert's done in this same situation they would both be getting absolutely slaughtered by the fans. In fact that's exactly what happened but as it stands they both did a better job than Lambert.

I just get the impression that we could be battling relegation this time next season in the championship and people would still be backing him 100%.

I think he sets the team up poorly not positvely,

How on earth can you say that he is a top class manager is crazy, Tactics, Width, 3-5-2, Bowery over Bent ect-ect are just a few to mention that has cost us points and more than likely our place in the premier league,

Also you claim he has good man management skills, Yet the treatment of Hutton, warnock, ireland, bent ect-ect?

What seasons have i missed for your claim to lambert being a top class manager? 

Seriously I dont know where you sit at villa park mate, I can only think you have a restricted view?

I hold the first opinion butI appreciate that some may have a different opinion that's fine I can see why that may be the case. However what I can't understand is why those who hold the second opinion get frustrated and seem more interested and concerned that people don't want the manager out. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on the manager, only he can do that although for most I doubt he will. And I'm not having a go at anyone who is slagging him off, that's upto them. I will debate the point but I'm not throwing digs around, can't understand why any villa fan would to be honest

It's not so much that people are more interested in people who don't want him out (I don't think many actively want him out) but rather that certain people just seem to complete ignore what a poor job he's done and continue to trot out the same line without really giving any facts to support it. Let's face it, if Houllier or McLeish had done what Lambert's done in this same situation they would both be getting absolutely slaughtered by the fans. In fact that's exactly what happened but as it stands they both did a better job than Lambert.

I just get the impression that we could be battling relegation this time next season in the championship and people would still be backing him 100%.

different managers , different people managing at different times and under different ownership styles and with arguably better squads, certainly houllier had a much better squad much better. Hence the different reactions.

The are a lot who want him out I think you know that. Don't get me wrong if we are battling relegation next season in the league below us, I'll be first in line with he pitchforks and burning torches

I see similarities between Lambert and Houllier. Both wanted to instill a different style into the team compared to what we had under MON and McLeish and get us playing more "modern" football. This is a good thing.

That said, I see a Villa team low on confidence, unable to close out games and - at times - players so uncomfortable in their roles and each others that they look like a bunch of strangers on the pitch. I've not seen that from any other manager in recent history - though GT MkII comes close.

Sadly, none of the 3 things I mentioned have anything to do with the quality of the squad. These are basics you would expect from any Premier League managed side.

I'm a firm advocate of building from the back. Villa have historically had some solid defences , lambert has effectively come in and weakened the defence and not corrected it in 9 months. It's been our Achilles heel all season and will probably relegate us. Again in January he failed to strengthen it and for that he's culpable for our demise. Below average manager .

the way Lambert has ripped apart our defence will ultimately relegate us

no reason why Hutton, Warnock, Collins and Cuellar couldn't have been part of our squad this year

i'm not saying they are world beaters but when you look at the dross Lambert has replaced them with they are the better option

i think we would be at least 6 points better off and held on to at least 3 of those late defeats/draws with their experience

no doubt about it i will blame Lambert when our relegation is confirmed

limited budget or not he has completely ignored our obvious weaknesses and in certain positions made them worse

• Like 2

the way Lambert has ripped apart our defence will ultimately relegate us

no reason why Hutton, Warnock, Collins and Cuellar couldn't have been part of our squad this year

i'm not saying they are world beaters but when you look at the dross Lambert has replaced them with they are the better option

i think we would be at least 6 points better off and held on to at least 3 of those late defeats/draws with their experience

no doubt about it i will blame Lambert when our relegation is confirmed

limited budget or not he has completely ignored our obvious weaknesses and in certain positions made them worse

Oh yes, there is a massive reason why they cannot be part of this years team. £.

different managers , different people managing at different times and under different ownership styles and with arguably better squads, certainly houllier had a much better squad much better. Hence the different reactions.

The are a lot who want him out I think you know that. Don't get me wrong if we are battling relegation next season in the league below us, I'll be first in line with he pitchforks and burning torches

What about McLeish then? Working under difficult circumstances, did a shit job and rightly got slated for it by you. Lambert does even worse and yet suddenly he's a top manager? It's nothing more than blind faith.

I said not many ACTIVELY want him out. He's certainly getting treated a lot better by the fans than McLeish and Houllier, which is bizarre.

Edited by Mantis

I kinda liked the idea of bringing lower league players in and developing them.

However, there are a number of factors that has troubled me along the lines of what some critics have observed when they have suggested that they are not so young as not so good enough.

I guess we all hope that they develop to the point that is commensurate with Bale and the likes, but I may be a bit optimistic..

I havn't got that much faith in that they will be what most of us hope they will be.

My main concern is their build/physical stature, they don't look to have enough presence for me or the ability to compensate either.

They look too easy, to take out.

I'm still not deterred by the overall idea of what he's done( i don't subscribe like some of encouraging sub standard football by going to the lower leagues)just dubious of the personnel in question.

After all we would not have signed "David Platt" had our previous managers not had the same thought.

ps Think the flaws in the defensive side of our game...will relegate us.

pps Can't believe something so obvious, has been neglected.

Edited by TRO

What about McLeish then? Working under difficult circumstances, did a shit job and rightly got slated for it by you. Lambert does even worse and yet suddenly he's a top manager? It's nothing more than blind faith.

I said not many ACTIVELY want him out. He's certainly getting treated a lot better by the fans than McLeish and Houllier, which is bizarre.

Nothing bizarre in realising that despite what manager we have, the real problem remains, namely the missing yank and his utterly useless bum chum.

Until they have gone, things will continue to get bad to worse. And do you trust them picking our next manager?

I think it's bizarre that one manager gets absolutely slaughtered by fans for doing a shit job under poor circumstances but another manager who does even worse under similar circumstances still gets his name sung at games.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

I think it's bizarre that one manager gets absolutely slaughtered by fans for doing a shit job under poor circumstances but another manager who does even worse under similar circumstances still gets his name sung at games.

Its where he came from. Im happy to admit that. It is afterall one of the biggest rivilries in football.

I guess the key difference for me is that when McLeish was the manager I actually believed that our squad was a lot better than it is. Now I look at every player bar Benteke and I think they're all pretty average. So I guess I kinda owe McLeish an apology.... but I also think Lambert is a very poor manager too.