Paul Lambert

Pilchard

But McLeish was given a proper chance. He was given an entire season. And his record over the final 20 games was worse than that over the first 18 and continuing to get worse. And he showed no signs of building anything or establishing any semblance of a style of football for the club (unless you consider sitting deep and desperately hoofing it to be a style). Lambert has already shown intentions for building the club and a style of play in a sustainable way and there are signs that things are getting better rather than worse. So he should certainly be given as long as McLeish.

It may be hilarious if you loathe any attempt to bring a sense of reasonableness and proportionality to a debate which for some God awful reason appears to suggest that in any way the best interests of the Club are helped by impatient fans.

For all those who utterley missed the point..........

The point it makes, clearly lost on you, is simply that a great Manager - who yes, was already succesful - was NOT an instant hit at his new Club.

Now, watch closely as you may get all flustered and confused again, all I am saying is that if even a great Manager at a Club who were 4th the year before needed more than 18 games, surely even a child can see that logically a non-great Manager at a Club who were Not 4th needs considerably longer.

If you still dont get it I can only imagine you don't want to.

ferguson given time was always going to do a good job at Man Utd. You can give Lambert all the time in the world but he will not achieve great things. He simply does not have the ability. He is a very limited manager and I can see he doesnt have it in him. He will be a failure

You thought he was crap ? What had he done or not done to make you consider him that bad, lets face it, crap is pretty much 0/10.

Why did you think he was so utterley utterley bad ?

I have always found Lambert an uninspiring character. I think he is tactically very poor, I also think his judgement is flawed on many leveks. He has never been able to put together a decent defensive unit and I think his approach of lots of effort and commitment with little technical ability is the wrong one.

I dont find his man management skills to be particularly good and to me he comes across as big headed and arrogant. I never liked him in his playing days either. It was always going to take a lot for him to convince me he is the right man for villa but given some if the things he has said, the way we have played and the signings he has made so far I must say so far I am not impressed at all. After the debacle of McLeish I was very disappointed Lerner got Lambert even though he was and still is a popular choice with the fans. I know I am in a minority but I just dont see anything in Lamert.

We've seen more signs of progress and direction under Lambert already than we did for a whole season under McLeish.

We made the right call.

McLeish had to go, I dont think anyone disagrees with that

ferguson given time was always going to do a good job at Man Utd. You can give Lambert all the time in the world but he will not achieve great things. He simply does not have the ability. He is a very limited manager and I can see he doesnt have it in him. He will be a failure

:crylaugh:

No Manager is good in all departments which is why when you hire one you generally hire a management team, Many managers through out time have utilised trainers to improve certain areas of the side, in Chelsea side it was generally thought Ray Wilkins was the reason they did so well which was found to be partially true as they have not really played as well since he left.

Maybe PL needs to bring in a better defensive coach.

Hopefully my post above explains it. I am sorry I thought the point was pretty obvious.

And yes, Mcleish should have (and in my view was by the majority) given a proper chance, tempered slightly by the fact that we already saw how he did with |Blues.

Your "explanatory" post seemed mainly to castigate anyone not accepting your comparison between Lambert and Ferguson as childlike, and failing willfully to understand your point. So, no, it didn't really help. The query about your comparison was: why choose Ferguson, when you could just as easily have chosen a manager who struggled in his first 18 matches, went on to struggle further, and was sacked before the season's end? Alex Ferguson is hardly a typical premier league football manager, is he?

In any case, Ferguson was immensely unpopular with the Man U fans in his early days - they even had a demo with banners after 2 or 3 seasons. So the suggestion that the Man U fans were reasonable and understanding with their new manager, compared with impatient Villa fans now, is just wrong.

:crylaugh:

Maybe you would like to explain why u think differently. Lambert has already made a number of bad decisions this season especially on the tactical and formational side of the game. he has also made a number of poor team selections and substitutions so far this season and has signed some poor players this season like KEA, Bennett and Bowry. His mistakes are swept under the carpet by many purely because he replaced McLeish and the majority of people are happy with the fact he is not McLeish but are quite happy with dross he serves up time and time again.

You've only seen Bowery play for 7 minutes. Bennett has played about 3 games and his career with us so far has been hampered by injuries and suspensions. How can you write them off as poor players so quickly? At least KEA is debatable, but even he hasn't been here long enough to be judged as a poor player.

Your "explanatory" post seemed mainly to castigate anyone not accepting your comparison between Lambert and Ferguson as childlike, and failing willfully to understand your point. So, no, it didn't really help. The query about your comparison was: why choose Ferguson, when you could just as easily have chosen a manager who struggled in his first 18 matches, went on to struggle further, and was sacked before the season's end? Alex Ferguson is hardly a typical premier league football manager, is he?

In any case, Ferguson was immensely unpopular with the Man U fans in his early days - they even had a demo with banners after 2 or 3 seasons. So the suggestion that the Man U fans were reasonable and understanding with their new manager, compared with impatient Villa fans now, is just wrong.

But you have entirely missed the point again, which would show why I chose Fergie. The point is that EVEN great Managers need time, so surely lesser ones do. You may not agree, but at least see the point for what it is. And you compound it, by then suggesting something about fans which I never even hinted at !!!

You would think that those who like and want PL, like me, would see the point and think - yeah, even Fergie needed time, wonder how well PL will do if he gets the time, and those who dont want or are doubting PL - but who still want success for the Club - might think, 'yeah, thats true, even Fergie needed time, perhaps it would be good to give him that and see how he does'........................you wouldnt think that what people would actually do is contrive as many ways as possible to miss the point so they can carry on being negative.....I find it sad.

We talk about time being an essential ingredient for a new managers success.

Time in isolation of anything else is pointless.

Time is only relevant when a managers plans and methods are good when his signings have value and need TIME to develop.Thats why Fergie was given time by Edwards because he knew he was on the right track, the fans maybe was less informed.

all the time in the world will not suffice for a manager that is on the wrong lines and the majority of his actions are wrong.It just delays the inevitable and holds the clubs progress back.

You have to make your own mind up about Lambert.It is always difficult for fans because they don't see the detail of work going on at the training ground.

One of the the most significant pieces of criteria for valueing managers( before results/trophies are acheived) is their performance in the transfer market.

Everyone will have their own opinions on Lambert, in the early days its usually from the gut.

• Like 1

I detest any comparison with Fergie as a means to try and support any argument, Ferguson is an absolute exception. No meaningful comparison can be drawn as his career is in no way illustrative of what can happen with other managers. He is the exception rather than the rule, not every manager given 4 years to get it right will get it right, many more will just end up getting things even more wrong.

As far as arguments go I personally just think it is rather daft.

That said I'm in favour of giving Lambert a lot more time, I just wouldn't dream of trying to justify it by using the example of Fergie.

I detest any comparison with Fergie as a means to try and support any argument, Ferguson is an absolute exception. No meaningful comparison can be drawn as his career is in no way illustrative of what can happen with other managers. He is the exception rather than the rule, not every manager given 4 years to get it right will get it right, many more will just end up getting things even more wrong.

As far as arguments go I personally just think it is rather daft.

That said I'm in favour of giving Lambert a lot more time, I just wouldn't dream of trying to justify it by using the example of Fergie.

I Kinda know where you are coming from and hey its your call.

In terms of justifying an arguement I think you are right because its an exact science what he has done.

but we all have to have the best to aim for and use as examples of excellence to try to emulate.

Time is only relevant when a managers plans and methods are good when his signings have value and need TIME to develop.Thats why Fergie was given time by Edwards because he knew he was on the right track, the fans maybe was less informed.

That I do agree with and that is why I think Lambert should be given time compared to McLeish who I wanted out by the end of August.

As I said I just find the use of Fergie as an example unhelpful and prone to getting the sort of reactions it has in this thread.

The current argument in this thread seems completely insane.

"Give the manager time because some great managers needed time"

"No, some managers have been given time in the past and not succeeded".

So what we're saying is, given time, Lambert may or may not be successful.

Good job guys.

• Like 1

Maybe you would like to explain why u think differently. Lambert has already made a number of bad decisions this season especially on the tactical and formational side of the game. he has also made a number of poor team selections and substitutions so far this season and has signed some poor players this season like KEA, Bennett and Bowry. His mistakes are swept under the carpet by many purely because he replaced McLeish and the majority of people are happy with the fact he is not McLeish but are quite happy with dross he serves up time and time again.

Bennett has had about four games and you've already written him off as crap

"....Time and time again!!!!!???" he's only been here five minutes you numbskull

Worst drivel on VT - you only post to wind people up

The current argument in this thread seems completely insane.

"Give the manager time because some great managers needed time"

"No, some managers have been given time in the past and not succeeded".

So what we're saying is, given time, Lambert may or may not be successful.

Good job guys.

that's a good summary! The only thing to add is that it's all irrelevant because it's pretty obvious that Lambert will be given time.

Bennett has had about four games and you've already written him off as crap

"....Time and time again!!!!!???" he's only been here five minutes you numbskull

Worst drivel on VT - you only post to wind people up

he wasnt very good at boro either. poor defensivly and rash in the tackle like lee cattermole. I have seen bennett a number of times for your information as i went to the riverside a few times last year as i was working in the area.how many times did u watch him last year?