Paul Lambert

Pilchard

You know those people who turn up for an audition at American Idol and signs horribly, who themselves believe they're doing a great job. Because they used to get pats on their back and a "You're signing great, son!

I think those people are mad. And the people around them are mad. 

I wasn't there yesterday, but I thought once we were 2-0 up the atmosphere sounded completely dead. As if people weren't even that happy if we win.

Maybe you should have gone and cheered loudly.

We win, you moan. We lose, you moan. What's the point of even going to the games? I swear, a stupid amount of supporters go out of some weird habit, and not because they're even interested. At the end of the day it's a sport. Why not enjoy it when you can? Doesn't make sense to me. 

Edited by praisedmambo

PL would do well to remember the excellent support he received after some horrendous home results last season, PL'S claret and blue army being sung at 0-4 down to Spurs anyone?

The first half was very poor and it follows previously losing 4/5 at home, some of those games when we haven't been booed off at half time despite losing. Lambert is wrong on this one for me.

I'm sure he's extremely grateful to be blessed with such a positive and patient set of supporters

I'm moaning? I went crazy at the ground when bacuna scored, I loved it after the final whistle.

If you hate the way our fans are why not get yourself to the ground and cheer loudly? Find it a bit rich fans who didn't go to the game moaning about the fans who did go not being happy enough.

I was asking a question originally. It did sound dead, but as I said I wasn't there. I'm glad you were happy! 

The booing just seems counter-productive, though. We can be dire to watch sometimes but I really don't see how it helps, which is why I've never booed my own team at any live sporting event I've attended. 

It's the equivalent of sitting in a sinking ship and shouting "This is your fault!" at the other guy, rather than helping to mend the hole they made. You're entitled to make the observation but it makes the situation worse for everyone.

If teams aren't playing well \ getting results people will voice their frustration - it always been like this - and this happens up and down the country at almost every club. (as recent events have shown) - on the one hand it doesn't help - on the other its lets the decision makers know that better is expected. Lambert has often said how pleased he is the fans stuck with the players - however they are looking for some evidence of improvement.

On a side note 36,000 - to watch lowly cardiff is a damm fine turnout - considering what we have been served up over the last few years.......with support like that it makes you wonder how we can fail......

See there it is again..."the last few years" why should this team be punished for that???

Not sure I understand your point. I was just stating that after 3 years of struggles - we pull a crowd of 36,000 against unglamorous opposition - this is still a big and great club. 

1. Arsenal 25 pts

2. Liverpool 23 pts

3. Southampton 22 pts

4. Chelsea 21 pts

5. Man United 20 pts

6. Everton 20 pts

7. Tottenham 20 pts

8. Man City 19 pts

9. Newcastle 17 pts

10. WBA 14 pts

11. Aston Villa 14 pts

12. Hull 14 pts

13. Swansea 12 pts

14. Cardiff 12 pts

15. Norwich 11 pts

16. West Ham 10 pts

17. Stoke 10 pts

18. Fulham 10 pts

19. Sunderland 7 pts

20. Crystal Palace 4 pts

How's everyone feel about that 11 games in?

Crazy to think 7/11 games we've played that are currently 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. 

Edited by Kwan
  • Like 1

Its been a solid start and I think we will have a solid season. That is progress after the last 2 nightmares of a season. You have to give Lambert some credit for changing the game by bringing Lowton on and pushing Bacuna in midfield yesterday, it helped to change the game. The only quibble I would have under Lambert this year is the lack of possession in games. For us to really push on and be a top 8 side again, that stat needs to go up a bit.

Its been a solid start and I think we will have a solid season. That is progress after the last 2 nightmares of a season. You have to give Lambert some credit for changing the game by bringing Lowton on and pushing Bacuna in midfield yesterday, it helped to change the game. The only quibble I would have under Lambert this year is the lack of possession in games. For us to really push on and be a top 8 side again, that stat needs to go up a bit.

...and it will as Lambert continues to develop the side. We are playing a certain way at the moment but I beleive that as time goes on (and particularly as the last of the "bomb squad" leave) he will try to mix in better players and change the style accordingly.

5 points better off than at this stage last season and 8 points better off in like for like fixtures - with a little bit of luck with injuries and a bit of patience there is no reason at all why we couldn't look forward to a top half finish.

1. Arsenal 25 pts

2. Liverpool 23 pts

3. Southampton 22 pts

4. Chelsea 21 pts

5. Man United 20 pts

6. Everton 20 pts

7. Tottenham 20 pts

8. Man City 19 pts

9. Newcastle 17 pts

10. WBA 14 pts

11. Aston Villa 14 pts

12. Hull 14 pts

13. Swansea 12 pts

14. Cardiff 12 pts

15. Norwich 11 pts

16. West Ham 10 pts

17. Stoke 10 pts

18. Fulham 10 pts

19. Sunderland 7 pts

20. Crystal Palace 4 pts

How's everyone feel about that 11 games in?

Crazy to think 7/11 games we've played that are currently 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. 

Exceeded my expectations

There really wasn't a lot of booing at all. There was only a few seconds on the half-time whistle. 

Maybe it had something to do with going 7 and a half hours without scoring. 

It's pretty rich to see 'internet' fans criticising the fans who actually go to games for venting their frustrations. 

• Like 4

I dont agree with booing at half time in a game. Or full time. It's not as if the players or Lambert aren't trying to win. Booing them isn't going to motivate them.  It's an absolutely pointless exercise if you ask me, which does no good whatsoever. But, it's people's right to do it, even though I wish they wouldn't. 

• Like 1

I dont agree with booing at half time in a game. Or full time. It's not as if the players or Lambert aren't trying to win. Booing them isn't going to motivate them.  It's an absolutely pointless exercise if you ask me, which does no good whatsoever. But, it's people's right to do it, even though I wish they wouldn't.

I agree with you-I put it down to ignorance & stupidity. Footballers know when they are not doing as well as they can, sometimes if it's just 2 or maybe 3, the team can carry them but when it's more, it becomes difficult. The booing adds to the pressure, especially to younger players like our lads. We know it could be better sometimes, and they know it as well. If the crowd could just accept what is happening & what is tryng to be achieved, it would take a lot of pressure away from the players. I thought we did this last season although it seems expectations have raised this time around & patience seems to be lacking. Maybe the crowd would prefer Ian Holloway for example? His games are often open & high scoring-He just doesn't win many of them. W look like we're becoming a bit more solid & a bit harder to score against. urley when we get this part right, people can work out that other areas of our play will be addressed?

We're Aston Villa, not Man United or Arsenal-People placing these ridiculous expectations on young players need to wake up & smell the coffee-Or at least try to understand what it takes to maintain a top 6 position in the Premiership.

There really wasn't a lot of booing at all. There was only a few seconds on the half-time whistle. 

It's pretty rich to see 'internet' fans criticising the fans who actually go to games for venting their frustrations. 

I think one guy who didn't go criticised the fans so don't generalise. I was sat in my seat feeling uncomfortable about it and cringing at the cheering off of KEA.

I think one guy who didn't go criticised the fans so don't generalise. I was sat in my seat feeling uncomfortable about it and cringing at the cheering off of KEA.

I was downstairs getting a pie and having a piss when the half-time whistle went ;) but regarding the booing, I think the fact we hadn't scored in over 7 hours and we ONLY had 40% possession at home to Cardiff might of been another reason for it. Was thinking WTF when PL took off KEA and put on Lowton yesterday, thinking he was playing for the point, but then thought he might of pushed Bacuna further forward and put Lowton at right-back.

Edited by Avflife

PL would do well to remember the excellent support he received after some horrendous home results last season, PL'S claret and blue army being sung at 0-4 down to Spurs anyone?

The first half was very poor and it follows previously losing 4/5 at home, some of those games when we haven't been booed off at half time despite losing. Lambert is wrong on this one for me.

I also remember the Chelsea fans at Stamford Bridge reacting with complete bemusement as the Villa contingent sung lustily for their team as they went 0-5, 0-6, 0-7 down. The more Chelsea scored, the louder they sang.