Would it really be that bad ?

Kbdrum88

If we went down and bounced straight back financially it wouldn't be too bad due to the massive parachute payment in year 1.

Next year TV deal in Prem - a minimum of £70 million.

Next year parachute payment - £20 million (£16mill this season, next years hasn't been agreed yet, but £20m seems likely)

Difference in money for 1 year = financially ruined, and no chance of catching the likes of Stoke, Fulham, West Ham, Newcastle, Sunderland, etc in the next 5-10 years.

Blimey didn't realise the parachute payments had been slashed

Better just stay up then

It hasn't been slashed, it was increased a few years ago, and is being increased again for next year.

The £40mill you mentioned was probably the total of all 4 years. (Y1 £16m, Y2 £16m, Y3 £8m, Y4 £8m = £48mill)

Edited by ender4

Does that mean if you're relegated, but promoted after a year, you continue to get the extra £12m per year for the next 3 as part of the agreed parachute payment?

No.

The extra 3 years parachute payments are then given back (equally split) to the 20 premier league clubs.

So a minimum of £70m just to be in the prem league next year ! Jeez if we go down we'll be overtaken potentially by the likes of Leicester City !!

If we go down and come straight back up we're gonna struggle to survive.

Lerner is potentially destroying the long term future of the club.

There are no positives to relegation

None whatsoever

This is the correct answer. There is zero upside. We would lose our best players (only the crap ones would stay), we would see attendances fall, revenues would plummet and it could be years until we came back up again, oh and when we did because of the new TV deal we would be less able to compete with established clubs.

Going down would be ALL bad.

If we go down which I think we will, the club will go into financial meltdown and I think we would continue to drop through the leagues until about league 2 and then we wouldnt be back for a long while. And if we did somehow eventually get back up to the premiership we would go straight back down again because the other club's would have alot more money than us. There is no positive's to relegation, it would be the end of Aston Villa as a premiership side for a long time.

I find the Premiership boring now that success can never be more than making the top 10 (big deal !) or finishing above the bagwash (bigger deal !) and I'd love to visit some of the Championship grounds as well as have the potential excitement of play-offs and promotion but ...... financially it would be a likely disaster so its a no-brainer for me - we have to get the job done !

What worries me more than relegation is the clowns running the club. O Neils walks because of limited cash for player - then due to series of botched managements appointments, we spend £15m hiring and firing managers of very dubious quality - we are now likley to take a £50m hit on TV revenue - to save £3- £4m on wages.

I really have no confidence that Faulkner and Lerner have the nous to put a plan in place for us to bounce straight back - I really wouldn't be that surprised if in 3 seasons time we are fighting to stay in the championship.

Tbh I think we have a very young squad full of tallent that atm is punching a bit above its own weight trying to be in the premiership, but the potential for the future I think is there,

If we could get the high earners off the bill eg, Bent, Ireland, Dunne, Given and Warnock add a few more youngsters in a couple of places (eg. a CDM, CD, ST, RM etc) along with the current youngsters, then allthough short term it would be bad for us to go down, I think long term it would be very good.

The boy's I think would have a chance to develop and gain confidence of being top dogs, for a while, and the expierence of going down and fighting there way back to the prem would make them a stronger team.

Whilst all learning eachothers game, they'd come back and be able to cope with the league better.

and as the years go on with futher additions we'd be able to get up the table.but staying in the prem by the skin of their teeth and only adding more youngsters would only hinder any development due to the confidence knock to players at the start of their careers.

but thats just me, I know a load of people are gonna knock the thought of going down, but if were gonna insist on buying for the future rather than now, this might be the best thing for them,

Bullocks. Going down has no positives. Lerner really has lowered expectfuckingtations.

Years in the wilderness, thats all relegation would bring.

I can certainly empathise with those who find the Premier League stale, where its six elite clubs (or is that 'rich') and everyone else just making up the numbers year in year out. But under this ownership, I don't have the confidence that we would in any way dominate the Championship, nor make any return to the top echelon any time soon.

Its all about the lucre today, unfortunately and we have to maintain a foothold until fortunes change or our clueless 'custodian' sells up.

Whilst it would be incredibly shit to get relegated we could easily lose a fortune by gambling on the wrong sort of players to keep us up. Getting relegated would make it easier to get rid of the players that have been a disgrace to the club whilst most of the squad would be forced to take a pay-cut. I'm pretty sure Lambert would take us back up again at the first attempt if we did go down though there is obviously no guarantee of that. I'm still hoping that Randy is looking long-term at correcting the mistakes of the past 5 years but still gives Lambert a bit of backing for the right players this January so we can avoid it.

Â