A view from the opposition

Liam_Baggies

I'm back again.

Firstly, I hope this doesn't break any forum rules. It was allowed the last time and if you don't want this on the forum, you're more than welcome to remove it. I think you know the jist. Due to our forum being closed to guests, I shall actually post the finished article into this topic for you for those which are interested rather than offering you the link.

Q1. Has the season so far gone as you expected?

Q2. The transfer window is currently open, where do Aston Villa need to strengthen most?

Q3. The game at Villa Park finished 1-1. What were your opinions on that game? Fair result?

Q4. You've had some pretty poor results recently, do you have any doubts over whether Paul Lambert is the right man for you?

Q5. You're in a relegation battle, do you reckon you shall survive and which three clubs shall be relegated?

Q6. Which players should we be wary of in your side, and who do you fear the most in ours?

Q7. Score predictions.

Thank you.

Not at all, in terms of performance the minimum I expected Lambert to do was instill belief and pride in the team and he hasnt.

Q2. The transfer window is currently open, where do Aston Villa need to strengthen most?

Defence. Were a shambles across the whole back 4.

Q3. The game at Villa Park finished 1-1. What were your opinions on that game? Fair result?

Yeah I can't remember either team creating many chances

Q4. You've had some pretty poor results recently, do you have any doubts over whether Paul Lambert is the right man for you?

I think were all beginning to have Doubts, but until he gets decent backing how can we judge him, we've been lucky to stay up last season and mayby that luck is about to run out but it was obvious we needed decent signings in the summer, but some of our best performers have been Lamberts signings

Q5. You're in a relegation battle, do you reckon you shall survive and which three clubs shall be relegated?

Now, id say were going down along with reading and qpr. But signing players can change this.

Q6. Which players should we be wary of in your side, and who do you fear the most in ours?

Andi weimann seems most likely to score for us, shane long always seems to score against us so ill say him.

Q7. Score predictions.

Cant see us getting anything, ill say 3-1.

We knew it wasn't going to be great, but I think most of us didn't expect it to be this bad.

We desperately need another CB, Ron Vlaar coming back for the baggies game will give us a massive boost but he needs someone else next to him. We need a DCM and an ACM/winger to strengthen the midfield which is really lacking in lust at the moment.

On the day yes. Both teams played alright.

I think we'd be foolish to sack Lambert now - he is the man for the job. Our owner needs to plough some dollar into the club.

If its not us then I think it will be QPR, Reading and Wigan/Southampton.

Weimann is in top scoring form at the moment. Benteke is always a handful and I'd be wary of Gabby on the wing. I'm not looking forward to Lukaku vs our defence.

Q7. Score predictions.

I really can't call it at the moment. It could go either way as its a mini derby. I think you might be hurting after your shock defeat to Reading but we're also hurting. Could be a 1-0 to Baggies or 1-1.

Nope, I expected a mid-table finish, since our win at Lpool somethings gone horribly wrong. I still think we'll overturn Bradford, so a Wembley appearance and survival would be a success in my opinion

An experienced central midfielder and defender is much needed, get them too in and we should survive

I thought we edged it, draw was maybe a fair result

No doubts on Lambert, good manager with no backing and not allowed a wage budget

With the right signings, we'll be fine. But whether Mr. Lerner gets his chequebook out is another matter

Errrm, Ron Vlaar won't pose an attacking threat, but he certainly will add a well positioned, calm, experienced head in the middle. Gabby is due a goal and he used to love a derby, if he's in inspired form then we all know what he can do. Hopefully Bent returns, lord knows we need his goals.

For you, Ridgewell always worries me, one day he's gunna score against us. But Odemwingie is the main worry

Q7. Score predictions.

Overall I'd say depending on what Villa side shows up. If we play like we did on Saturday then theres no reason we can't win if we learn to take our chances. 2 open goals missed, hit the cross bar and 2 good saves on Saturday. You never know

1 - 2

Odemwingie (56) Gabby (8, 78)

Edited by alexpayne

No, it's significantly worse. Think we're currently the worst team in the division.

We're the lowest scorers and have conceded the most goals and have no midfield. Everywhere.

It was an odd game. You were dangerous on the break but your goal was fortunate. Draw probably fair.

Yes. I don't want him to sacked but he is really struggling. His formations and strategy over the past 2 months really have baffled me at times. Doesn't seem able to adjust things in games either, if we go behind that's usually game over. He's playing roulette with our premier league future with his current "young and hungry" philosophy and his numbers ain't coming up.

Expect us to come bottom as things stand. Think Reading will go too. Not sure on the third team.

Benteke is unplayable every week, it's just a lottery as to whether he's brought his shooting boots. Weimann is dangerous when playing on the shoulder of defenders but Lambert will probably play him on the wing.

So much pace and power up front for you. The prospect of Lukaku up against Clark is the stuff of nightmares for us. Mulumbu, Morrison and Yacob if fit to dominate in midfield.

Q7. Score predictions.

2 or 3-1

Edited by parisvilla

I didn't think we'd struggle as much as we are.

The midfield, everyone is just so mediocre! Defense has been a problem area of late but I think a bit of leadership is all that's needed there and Vlaar coming back should provide that.

Struggling to remember it really!

Personally, none what-so-ever. I'd give him another 11 months in the job even if we are relegated. We need a man with a long term plan and for me that's Lambert.

We'll survive but it'll be close. Three from Reading, QPR, Southampton and Wigan most likely to go.

Beneteke and Wiemann are the obvious dangers in our team. Not a lot of creativity or goals likely to come from elsewhere right now. I wouldn't pick out many dangerous individuals in your team, it's as a team you are a danger.

Q7. Score predictions

I'll be very happy with another 1-1.

No. We all knew it would be a season of "transition", but I don't think many, if any, thought it would be this bad.

Centre Back and Centre Midfield are priorities. Add some steel and experience here and we'll be ok. Fail to strengthen here and I fear the worst.

Probably, Your goal was a bit lucky if I remember correctly, but on balance of play a draw was probably fair.

Yes. I'm still right behind him and I think given time and the right backing he'll do well fo rus. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't have ANY doubts.

Yes I do. If we have a poor transfer window then I'll be pessimistic. But I think we're a couple of decent signings away from having a decent team. I think we'll get out of it.

Benteke if he decides to hit the target. Weimann if he gets into the box. Deadly.

With our defence, I fear anyone who can beat a man or cross the ball.

Q7. Score predictions.

2-1 to you.

I'd take a draw all day long.

I thought we would struggle in the first half and get better in the second half. When you are a team that is going to struggle then you will be in a relegation fight so even though results, especially recently have been disappointing, we are about where I would have expected at this point

Centre midfield and centre back

Then advanced midfield and strikers

Better result for you than us at the time, fairish I guess for your cup final.

None whatsoever.

Yes I think we will survive. It will be tight but I think QPR and Reading along with Newcastle or Southampton

Dont really pay much attention to your side to be honest, in ours Benteke, Weimann and Westwood.

Q7. Score predictions.

3-1 to Villa

Yeah kinda to be honest. I thought we'd really struggle for the first half of the season. Then it would all come together in the second half, though, the football we're playing seems to be getting worse the more we play. Maybe Lambert has lost faith in the current set of players and has changed the footballing style accordingly.

Defence and Midfield. Desperate for a ball winning midfielder.

Yeah was a pretty dull game if I remember rightly. Probably fair.

It all depends on what happens this transfer window. Our team is really poor and I sympathise with him, but he needs to sign some quality.

Again, depends who we sign. At the minute it's looking like no-one. So using our current squad to determine whether we'll survive the answer is no. This team isn't good enough.

Benteke I guess. If he's on form he will give any defenders problems. Just depends if he has his shooting boots on or not. Shane Long for you (if he's playing?)... great player.

Q7. Score predictions.

4-0 and another embarrassment.

Edited by PieFacE

The summer brought with it a whole mess of changes at the club and it was clear that it would take the club some time to rebuild itself and get back to the levels it was formerly competing at. With that said, I would have expected to have been sitting in a bit of a safer position at this point in the season.

The biggest priority has to be CM. We desperately need both a CDM who can protect the back four and break up opposition attacks and also a decent CAM, who can run the attack and provide Benteke and Weimann with decent service. Without this, our biggest threat as a team is on the counter. After that, a versatile defender who can play in both FB positions.

I thought we were in control for most of that match and it was a bit unlucky when we went down 1-0. We definitely deserved to score late on, but I felt we could have won that match.

No. PL is the best we can hope for at this time and he is trying to build something for the future. He does have some faults, which are based in his stubbornness when it comes to player selection and tactics, but if he has a productive January window, it can really aid his cause.

It all depends on our transfer activity, but I reckon Lerner will give PL the money he needs and we will beat the drop. The three I would tip for relegation are Reading, Wigan, and Southampton.

Benteke on his day is such a handful, as long as his brings his finishing boots. If you give Weimann any space around the box, he will score 9/10, so you have to be wary. For you lot, it helps that Yacob and Mulumbu won't be playing (If I am not mistaken), but the biggest threat is Long. Very good player that boy.

Q7. Score predictions.

2-1 Villa.

Liam, did you participate in the 8th minute applause Albion fans dedicated to a recent Villa defeat? And, regardless, do you not believe it to be one of the most small-time things any club has done since, well, ever?

Genuinely interested to hear a Smethwick take on it.

Liam, did you participate in the 8th minute applause Albion fans dedicated to a recent Villa defeat? And, regardless, do you not believe it to be one of the most small-time things any club has done since, well, ever?

Genuinely interested to hear a Smethwick take on it.

No, I didn't. Most embarrassing thing ever.

Edited by Liam_Baggies

I'm back again.

Firstly, I hope this doesn't break any forum rules. It was allowed the last time and if you don't want this on the forum, you're more than welcome to remove it. I think you know the jist. Due to our forum being closed to guests, I shall actually post the finished article into this topic for you for those which are interested rather than offering you the link.

Q7. Score predictions.

Thank you.

Yes. I said from day one Lambert would be a disaster. We have one of the worst strike forces and the worst defence in the premer league which says it all. The danger was obvious after the woeful signings he made in the last window.

We need a right back, a left back, 2 x centre backs, 2 x midfielders and a wide player desperatley. If Bent goes we will also need a new striker. Not too much wrong then!

I thought it was a fair result. Its hard to recall the game as I didnt think it was very good to be honest. We were shit and your lot seemed to go along with it.

I didnt want him here in the first place.He is not the right man in the slightest. He was awful at Livingston, failed to get Wycombe promoted despite them being favourites and quit after losing in the playoffs, he then failed to get Colchester in the playoffs by finishing 9th even though again they were one of the favorites after coming down from the championship. Even though he got Norwich promoted twice they were always awful at the back, they conceded 66 goals last year and only the bottom 3 were worse. Its not hard to see why either, this Villa team is the worst organised team I have seen in over 25 years. Lambert and Culverhouse are useless and should never have been appointed, I have never seen someone so clueless in a dugout.

Paul Lambert is also so dull he could talk a glass eye to sleep.

Vill will go down if Lambert stays, he is terrible but Lerner will not get rid of him. QPR, Villa and Reading to drop down.

I would not be afraid of anybody. Benteke might cause the odd problem until he shoots,Vlaar if he starts will make some good tackles but then get caught woefully out of position at some point but everyone else is crap. Lukaku will destroy our back 4, it will be embarrasing.

Q7. Score predictions.

4-0 WBA. If you dont hammer us there is something wrong, this Villa team is one of the worst premiership teams ever assembled.

In a word, no. Thought we would be better than last season, although still in the bottom half.

A defensive midfielder, somebody in the mould of Diame at West Ham. I could go on about many other positions but realistically we've been told to expect one or two signings at most.

I'd say we felt more buoyant coming away with the draw after the late-ish equaliser.

I have some doubts. I'd keep with him though, we have lost the experience of Petrov from the midfield and Collins, Cuellar and Dunne in defence.

Think we'll go down on the final day, along with Reading and Southampton although that could possibly be Wigan depending on injuries.

Your only fear is whether Guzan denies you as he has done a couple of teams this season. I fear the Baggies attack in fairness whoever plays. Long is a threat when fit, Lukaku is an imposing presence.

Q7. Score predictions.

2-1 Baggies, last minute heartbreak.

Edited by AvfcTheObsession

No, I didn't. Most embarrassing thing ever.

See the thing is, its incredibly cringey and small time but it doesn't bother me, if I'm honest I just laughed at the obsession of it all.

What wound me up, was when I was having the same convo to 3 different Tesco fans and all 3 said "its because you do the Petrov applause and expected us to do it last time"

1. Taking the piss out of a tribute to a cancer victim? Bit of a cheap laugh really isn't it?

2. No, the majority of us didn't expect you to join in the applause, I just didn't expect to see 20/30 grown men pissing themselves laughing and pointing towards us calling us rocket polishers during the 19th minute. I sang "no respect m'lord" to them. That was the 1st and last time I sang that song, they genuinely showed no respect

I hope our fans don't react to the 8th minute applause on Saturday, I hope sing over the top of it. And please Villa fans, no one sing no respect my lord to them

Â