A view from the opposition

Liam_Baggies

See the thing is, its incredibly cringey and small time but it doesn't bother me, if I'm honest I just laughed at the obsession of it all.

What wound me up, was when I was having the same convo to 3 different Tesco fans and all 3 said "its because you do the Petrov applause and expected us to do it last time"

1. Taking the piss out of a tribute to a cancer victim? Bit of a cheap laugh really isn't it?

2. No, the majority of us didn't expect you to join in the applause, I just didn't expect to see 20/30 grown men pissing themselves laughing and pointing towards us calling us rocket polishers during the 19th minute. I sang "no respect m'lord" to them. That was the 1st and last time I sang that song, they genuinely showed no respect

I hope our fans don't react to the 8th minute applause on Saturday, I hope sing over the top of it. And please Villa fans, no one sing no respect my lord to them

+1

Well said Payne

See the thing is, its incredibly cringey and small time but it doesn't bother me, if I'm honest I just laughed at the obsession of it all.

What wound me up, was when I was having the same convo to 3 different Tesco fans and all 3 said "its because you do the Petrov applause and expected us to do it last time"

1. Taking the piss out of a tribute to a cancer victim? Bit of a cheap laugh really isn't it?

2. No, the majority of us didn't expect you to join in the applause, I just didn't expect to see 20/30 grown men pissing themselves laughing and pointing towards us calling us rocket polishers during the 19th minute. I sang "no respect m'lord" to them. That was the 1st and last time I sang that song, they genuinely showed no respect

I hope our fans don't react to the 8th minute applause on Saturday, I hope sing over the top of it. And please Villa fans, no one sing no respect my lord to them

Wasn't a pisstake out of Petrov at all. Albion fans wish Petrov a speedy recovery just like everybody else, however, there was a large contingent of your support which sang "no respect my lord" purely because we didn't join in with your applause at both The Hawthorns and Villa Park in September. Well, as far as I'm concerned, the club gave our best wishes to Petrov over the tannoy prior to the game which Villa fans I've spoken to on the subject have chosen to ignore this and belittled us ever since. Just like Tom Ross and BBC WM have done on their after the game shows but I don't see why we should be critcised for not clapping personally, you're supporting your player well done but the idea from some of your supporters that we should join in is ludicrous. Give us a bucket and I'm sure supporters would happily chuck money in behind the course rather than participate in some clapping.

There are a few Albion fans which find your "no respect my lord" song highly hypocritical given songs your supporters have sang in the past and sang about ten minutes after the 'no respect' incident when supporters were receiving life saving treatment in the East Stand.

To be fair to you as well it was not long after we had started doing the applause thing so a lot of Baggies fans at the game hadn't got a **** clue what was going on. Most of the blame has to go to the local radio stations trying to whip up a bit of controversy after the game over the issue.

As far as I'm concerned he's our player and we support him and if other fans join in it's a great gesture. If other fans don't that is fine too, the last thing I want to see is us get all Liverpool about it.

• Like 1

To be fair to you as well it was not long after we had started doing the applause thing so a lot of Baggies fans at the game hadn't got a **** clue what was going on. Most of the blame has to go to the local radio stations trying to whip up a bit of controversy after the game over the issue.

As far as I'm concerned he's our player and we support him and if other fans join in it's a great gesture. If other fans don't that is fine too, the last thing I want to see is us get all Liverpool about it.

Hear Hear. It took me at least 30 seconds to understand what was happening and in fairness, I did clap the remainder of the minute, however, I don't think we deserved the following reaction. From both Villa fans and BBC WM.

Wasn't a pisstake out of Petrov at all.

I'm only going by what I've been told by fans that joined in with it.

there was a large contingent of your support which sang "no respect my lord" purely because we didn't join in with your applause at both The Hawthorns and Villa Park in September.

I was sat next to the Albion fans in the North Stand, I never heard the No Respect song.

Q1. Has the season so far gone as you expected?

I knew it was always going to be a difficult season but I didn't expect it would be as bad as this. I'm more worried about relegation now than I was under McLeish and that's something I thought I'd never say

Q2. The transfer window is currently open, where do Aston Villa need to strengthen most?

Centre midfield is a must, there simply isn't the quality in there. A centre-back would be nice as well, Dunne and Vlaar will steady the ship but can't be relied upon to stay injury free. Experience is vital

Q3. The game at Villa Park finished 1-1. What were your opinions on that game? Fair result?

From what I recall it was an even game and a fair result

Q4. You've had some pretty poor results recently, do you have any doubts over whether Paul Lambert is the right man for you?

No doubts whatsoever. He was my first pick for the job and still is. This is a transition season and in the long term I think he will be a superb manager for this club. We just need to get through this season and then I think we'll pick up

Q5. You're in a relegation battle, do you reckon you shall survive and which three clubs shall be relegated?

50/50. Reading I think are a certainty for the drop then it's two from QPR, Soton, Wigan and us.

Q6. Which players should we be wary of in your side, and who do you fear the most in ours?

Benteke on his day is unplayable, Weimann has really impressed as well. For you I'm having nightmares about Lukaku could do against us. I rate Morrison as well and Brunt from set pieces will be a huge danger

Q7. Score predictions.

I'm an optimist so would like to think we could snatch a point. Being realistic though it's hard to see anything but a loss, 2 - 0 to WBA I'll say

Not really. The nature of our signings (young, inexperienced lower level players) always meant that this predicament was a possibility. But the hope was that they would be mixed with more experience and that Lambert would figure out more quickly how to get consistent results. Add in some untimely injuries and what you get is very much the 'worst case scenario' playing itself out.

Q2. The transfer window is currently open, where do Aston Villa need to strengthen most?

Defensive midfield because we simply don't have anyone who can play that role to the standard required. Everything follows on from that. Our defence would be exposed less, concede fewer and the attackers would get more opportunity on the ball because opposition play would be broken up more effectively. It's crucial we sign a central defensive midfielder in the window or we could be in for a long season with an unhappy ending.

Q3. The game at Villa Park finished 1-1. What were your opinions on that game? Fair result?

From what I remember it was a fair result. Brom probably edged it but not to the extent that they deserved 3 points. You were on a good run at the time (IIRC) and I remember Baggies fans reactions were initially of disappointment with the draw and then a realisation that 'look how far we've come, being disappointed with drawing Villa'.

Q4. You've had some pretty poor results recently, do you have any doubts over whether Paul Lambert is the right man for you?

I don't have any doubts whatsoever. In fact even if we went down I'd still stick with him. I think his hands are being tied behind his back more than we realise. He's trying to put into place something that; if it works; will be so much more than the 3-year cycle of "bring in manager, buy stuff, leave in 3 seasons" that we've seen so often. I think circumstances have meant he has gone down the youth route too heavily too soon. But I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We're not far off.

Q5. You're in a relegation battle, do you reckon you shall survive and which three clubs shall be relegated?

I honestly don't know if we'll survive. At this point in time, if nothing was to change for the remainder of the season, you have to say we'll be one of the three. But with 2 weeks of the transfer window to go and some key injuries coming back (Vlaar, Agbonlahor) we have the opportunity to progress. Plus the kids are slowly getting better. I think Reading are a dead cert. Everyone else can put up an argument for why they'll avoid the drop. It'd be hilarious to see Newcastle stay down there.

Q6. Which players should we be wary of in your side, and who do you fear the most in ours?

It's quite obvious at this point in time that on his day Christian Benteke will dominate even the most physical of centre backs. If he's up for it then you're in trouble. If Ashley Westwood is back then he's capable of very good things in the centre of midfield, though he's lacking a foil at the moment. Weimann is also in a rich vein of form. So basically, our strike force is very handy. Our problem is getting them the ball in the first place.

Q7. Score predictions.

Given our current form, even allowing for it being a local derby, I'd have to say 3-1 to West Brom.

I'm only going by what I've been told by fans that joined in with it.

I was sat next to the Albion fans in the North Stand, I never heard the No Respect song.

If it had been a piss take out of Petrov nobody would have joined in.

The no respect song started because we started singing Albion songs and failed to clap during the minutes applause.

I think it was a case of the jeering/singing during our applause for Petrov. I think if they didn't want to join in fine, but to try and sing over the top of it and jeer at those doing it was what pissed the villa fans off.

No. I thought it may be a struggle but thought we'd have won a few more games and scored a lot more goals at this point.

The midfield.

As a Villa fan I wish we'd nicked it 2-1 but yes, two good goals from two good poachers from what I remember.

We have had some pretty poor results recently but so have you :D

No I don't have any doubts about Paul Lambert being the right man, I think he's a great manager he's just taken too large a gamble with the majority of his choices. Hopefully this month he instills a some stability.

Yes, I think we'll survive, even if it's in 17th place. I hope our poor goal difference will be an incentive to instill an extra effort to win games and we'll pick up some vital points.

I'll go with Reading, Sunderland and Southampton to go down.

Weimann is the one to watch for us I think, although he's becoming extremely frustrated (With good reason) earlier and earlier in each match.

Shane Long I worry about, if he is back for the match.

Q7. Score predictions.

I'll always say Villa will win before a ball has been kicked so I'll go with 2-1 Villa.

If it had been a piss take out of Petrov nobody would have joined in.

The no respect song started because we started singing Albion songs and failed to clap during the minutes applause.

Tell that to your own fans.

Like I said, had your fans not acted like complete numpties during the minutes applause, there would have been no need for the no respect song.

Tell that to your own fans.

Like I said, had your fans not acted like complete numpties during the minutes applause, there would have been no need for the no respect song.

That was at Villa Park.

And are we not allowed to support our own side in-case it disrupts your minutes applause?

No. No, no. No.

Completely new midfield. Half a new defence.

On the balance of play, probably could/should have won. Haven't been able to say that about many games this season.

Yes.

No, we're dead in the water. It'll be us, Reading, and either QPR or Wigan.

Benteke if he has one of his "on" days. Weimann, too. Fear? Long, Lukaku and Odemwingie if he lines up opposite whichever potted plant we decide to play at left back.

Q7. Score predictions.

Only your recent form gives me any hope. That said, 3-1 home win.

nope, after last year i thought it would at least be enjoyable, we seem to have no consistency at all, the tactics that work one week are utterly useless or arent even used the next week

we need a spine, good CB, DMC and CM

1st time in a long time i think a midlands derby has been a good evenly contested game, usually us/you/sha/dingles are 1 sided or utter gash, or even ruined entirely by an inept ref called phil dowd...

yes, he looks lost at times, but there is no one really out there that could be better, no quick fix for the rot

im nearly convinced we will finish bottom, reading will go and QPR will stay up and several journos will be killed in the stampede to lick arry's asshole, doesnt look good for newcastle in colo goes

weimann, good finisher, great work rate, benteke if he turns up

Q7. Score predictions.

3-0 and an open top bus parade round sandwell monday morning

west-brom.jpgvs astonvilla_logo2.gif

Saturday 19th January 2013

It's been all change since I last formed one of these articles. We're stuck in a poor run of form and so are Aston Villa so I predict an equally nervous game for both sets of supporters. Last time out, the Albion threw away a two goal advantage against Reading, and the Villa lost an important relegation scrap against Southampton. The meeting at The Hawthorns last year finished 0-0 it was a contest which was forgotten quite quickly by those who watched it.

I've once again nipped over to Villa Talk for these weeks version of View from the Opposition.

Has the season so far gone as you expected?

Jimzk5: Not at all, in terms of performance the minimum I expected Lambert to do was instill belief and pride in the team and he hasnt.

Kjparton: We knew it wasn't going to be great, but I think most of us didn't expect it to be this bad.

Alex Payne: Nope, I expected a mid-table finish, since our win at Lpool somethings gone horribly wrong. I still think we'll overturn Bradford, so a Wembley appearance and survival would be a success in my opinion

Richard: I thought we would struggle in the first half and get better in the second half. When you are a team that is going to struggle then you will be in a relegation fight so even though results, especially recently have been disappointing, we are about where I would have expected at this point

KHV: Yes. I said from day one Lambert would be a disaster. We have one of the worst strike forces and the worst defence in the premer league which says it all. The danger was obvious after the woeful signings he made in the last window.

BOF: Not really. The nature of our signings (young, inexperienced lower level players) always meant that this predicament was a possibility. But the hope was that they would be mixed with more experience and that Lambert would figure out more quickly how to get consistent results. Add in some untimely injuries and what you get is very much the 'worst case scenario' playing itself out.

The transfer window is currently open, where do Aston Villa need to strengthen most?

LockStockVilla: The biggest priority has to be CM. We desperately need both a CDM who can protect the back four and break up opposition attacks and also a decent CAM, who can run the attack and provide Benteke and Weimann with decent service. Without this, our biggest threat as a team is on the counter. After that, a versatile defender who can play in both FB positions.

Stevo985: Centre Back and Centre Midfield are priorities. Add some steel and experience here and we'll be ok. Fail to strengthen here and I fear the worst.

AvfctheObsession: A defensive midfielder, somebody in the mould of Diame at West Ham. I could go on about many other positions but realistically we've been told to expect one or two signings at most.

KHV: We need a right back, a left back, 2 x centre backs, 2 x midfielders and a wide player desperatley. If Bent goes we will also need a new striker. Not too much wrong then!

Kjparton: We desperately need another CB, Ron Vlaar coming back for the baggies game will give us a massive boost but he needs someone else next to him. We need a DCM and an ACM/winger to strengthen the midfield which is really lacking in lust at the moment.

The game at Villa Park finished 1-1. What were your opinions on that game? Fair result?

BOF: From what I remember it was a fair result. Brom probably edged it but not to the extent that they deserved 3 points. You were on a good run at the time (IIRC) and I remember Baggies fans reactions were initially of disappointment with the draw and then a realisation that 'look how far we've come, being disappointed with drawing Villa'.

ParisVilla: It was an odd game. You were dangerous on the break but your goal was fortunate. Draw probably fair.

Richard: Better result for you than us at the time, fairish I guess for your cup final.

You've had some pretty poor results recently, do you have any doubts over whether Paul Lambert is the right man for you?

Pieface: It all depends on what happens this transfer window. Our team is really poor and I sympathise with him, but he needs to sign some quality.

LockStockVilla: No. PL is the best we can hope for at this time and he is trying to build something for the future. He does have some faults, which are based in his stubbornness when it comes to player selection and tactics, but if he has a productive January window, it can really aid his cause.

KHV: I didnt want him here in the first place.He is not the right man in the slightest. He was awful at Livingston, failed to get Wycombe promoted despite them being favourites and quit after losing in the playoffs, he then failed to get Colchester in the playoffs by finishing 9th even though again they were one of the favorites after coming down from the championship. Even though he got Norwich promoted twice they were always awful at the back, they conceded 66 goals last year and only the bottom 3 were worse. Its not hard to see why either, this Villa team is the worst organised team I have seen in over 25 years. Lambert and Culverhouse are useless and should never have been appointed, I have never seen someone so clueless in a dugout.

Paul Lambert is also so dull he could talk a glass eye to sleep.

Avfctheobsession: I have some doubts. I'd keep with him though, we have lost the experience of Petrov from the midfield and Collins, Cuellar and Dunne in defence.

IrishVillian: No doubts whatsoever. He was my first pick for the job and still is. This is a transition season and in the long term I think he will be a superb manager for this club. We just need to get through this season and then I think we'll pick up

8pints: We have had some pretty poor results recently but so have you :D

No I don't have any doubts about Paul Lambert being the right man, I think he's a great manager he's just taken too large a gamble with the majority of his choices. Hopefully this month he instills a some stability.

You're in a relegation battle, do you reckon you shall survive and which three clubs shall be relegated?

BOF: I honestly don't know if we'll survive. At this point in time, if nothing was to change for the remainder of the season, you have to say we'll be one of the three. But with 2 weeks of the transfer window to go and some key injuries coming back (Vlaar, Agbonlahor) we have the opportunity to progress. Plus the kids are slowly getting better. I think Reading are a dead cert. Everyone else can put up an argument for why they'll avoid the drop. It'd be hilarious to see Newcastle stay down there.

ParisVilla: Expect us to come bottom as things stand. Think Reading will go too. Not sure on the third team.

Danwichmann: We'll survive but it'll be close. Three from Reading, QPR, Southampton and Wigan most likely to go.

LockStockVilla: It all depends on our transfer activity, but I reckon Lerner will give PL the money he needs and we will beat the drop. The three I would tip for relegation are Reading, Wigan, and Southampton.

KHV: Vill will go down if Lambert stays, he is terrible but Lerner will not get rid of him. QPR, Villa and Reading to drop down.

Which players should we be wary of in your side, and who do you fear the most in ours?

KHV: I would not be afraid of anybody. Benteke might cause the odd problem until he shoots,Vlaar if he starts will make some good tackles but then get caught woefully out of position at some point but everyone else is crap. Lukaku will destroy our back 4, it will be embarrasing.

Avfctheobsession: Your only fear is whether Guzan denies you as he has done a couple of teams this season. I fear the Baggies attack in fairness whoever plays. Long is a threat when fit, Lukaku is an imposing presence.

Kjparton: Weimann is in top scoring form at the moment. Benteke is always a handful and I'd be wary of Gabby on the wing. I'm not looking forward to Lukaku vs our defence.

AlexPayne: Errrm, Ron Vlaar won't pose an attacking threat, but he certainly will add a well positioned, calm, experienced head in the middle. Gabby is due a goal and he used to love a derby, if he's in inspired form then we all know what he can do. Hopefully Bent returns, lord knows we need his goals.

For you, Ridgewell always worries me, one day he's gunna score against us. But Odemwingie is the main worry

BOF: It's quite obvious at this point in time that on his day Christian Benteke will dominate even the most physical of centre backs. If he's up for it then you're in trouble. If Ashley Westwood is back then he's capable of very good things in the centre of midfield, though he's lacking a foil at the moment. Weimann is also in a rich vein of form. So basically, our strike force is very handy. Our problem is getting them the ball in the first place.

GarethRDR: Benteke if he has one of his "on" days. Weimann, too. Fear? Long, Lukaku and Odemwingie if he lines up opposite whichever potted plant we decide to play at left back.

Score Predictions

Jimzk5: Cant see us getting anything, ill say 3-1.

AlexPayne: Overall I'd say depending on what Villa side shows up. If we play like we did on Saturday then theres no reason we can't win if we learn to take our chances. 2 open goals missed, hit the cross bar and 2 good saves on Saturday. You never know

1 - 2

Odemwingie (56) Gabby (8, 78)

Danwichmann: 'll be very happy with another 1-1.

Pieface: 4-0 and another embarrassment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers to the Villa lads for their answers. To view the remainder of their answers Click Here.

Here's to an entertaining game, our season back on track and three points to the Pride of the Midlands.

Boing Boing

Edited by Liam_Baggies

Here's to an entertaining game, our season back on track and three points to the Pride of the Midlands.

naturally you're referring to the villa there so i thank you for your best wishes in the forthcoming game. you couldn't possibly be talking about the club that gets 10,000 crowds at home and takes 600 fans away, could you? no siree.

Â