Worst Squad for a Generation?

Genie

This is the 'poor' side we had under DOL

Aston Villa: Sorensen, Hughes, Mellberg, Ridgewell, Bouma, Milner, Davis, Bakke (Djemba-Djemba 84), Barry (Berger 66), Moore, Phillips (Angel 64).

Subs Not Used: Taylor, Delaney.

Makes you realise just how poor our current crop are. How many of these WOULDN'T you slot into our current team?

I'd take that entire DOL team over our current bunch of retards. I've been supporting Villa since '87 and this is the worse team I've seen in all those 25 years. I'm beginning to think I'm seeing the worst manager we've had in 25 years too.

• Like 1

This is the 'poor' side we had under DOL

Makes you realise just how poor our current crop are. How many of these WOULDN'T you slot into our current team?

I would take all of them back over the current crop of crap we have. Id also take DOL over this muppett in charge now.

Edited by KHV

If you look at the squads we had the last two times we got relegated from the top flight, it is quite frightening.

86/7: Poole, Williams, Dorigo, Evans, Elliott, Blair, Hunt, Stainrod, Thompson, Hodge, Daley, Keown, Kerr, Birch, Norton, Spink, Gray, Walters, Shaw, Glover, Cooper, Aspinall

66/7: Withers, Wright, Aitken, Pountney, Sleeuwenhoek, Deakin, MacLeod, Hamilton, Hateley, Chatterley, Scott, Park, Tindall, Parker, Rudge, Bradley, Woodward, Roberts D, Broadbent, Stobart, Anderson

Both of those squads had problems with below par players, aging stars in decline, etc., but I would say they were in their time comparatively stronger than the squad we have now. Much, much stronger, really.

Without doubt....and the scary thing is, Randy Lerner has spent £120m+ in the past 7 years for that squad! If only he had a plan when he came in and didn't try to rush things....sigh.

scary that nearly 20 million went on Delph and N'Zogbia. If my moeny was wasted I wouldn be so quick to give it away next time

It's sad that I was introduced to Villa with players in the squad such as Southgate, Ugo, Yorke, Johnson, Joachim, Taylor, Townsend, Bosnich etc. and now look at it.

Easily the worst I have seen, my old man is struggling to think of a worse squad and he has been going down since 1960.

I fear it'll be a long time before we see a player of Joachim's calibre grace the Aston Villa squad again.

I fear it'll be a long time before we see a player of Joachim's calibre grace the Aston Villa squad again.

Julian Joachim? You make him sound like a serious superstar. Good player who was in the form of his life for us but my word - we have had better players since and I am certain Benteke is far far better.

for years its been said that we need to ship out the deadwood (and stop buying it) and actually buy proper footballers, now look where its got us

showing my age here, but does anyone remember in school when you would meet a career advisor and they would recommend what job you would be suited for? do you think for one minute that a CA said to this bunch of jokers that they should become footballers?

i could see given laying driveways, lichaj working behind the bar at a weatherspoons and bannan doing a paper round

Julian Joachim? You make him sound like a serious superstar. Good player who was in the form of his life for us but my word - we have had better players since and I am certain Benteke is far far better.

Joachim wouldn't be fit to lace Benteke's cock holder.

I've seen worse collective sides yes. Mark Kinsella was our captain once upon a time. Give me Ashley Westwood any day of the week. Heck, give me a bag of footballs and a circa 1985 wank stained copy of readers wives over the likes of Kinsella and Leonhardsen.

Look, we're in horrendous form right now. Confidence has hit rock bottom and we're sinking, it's far from the best time to judge.

Though if that is the case and you accept that the majority of Lamberts signings have done OK as I do (i.e. Vlaar, Benteke, Westwood and Lowton) then you also might want to admit that the manager is doing an at least average job? Or is that far too pragmatic for VT?

Almost definitely the worst squad of players ever assembled in our Premier League history.

Randy Lerner has spunked a fortune on assembling this pile of shit. Just goes to show what a prick he is.

Surely it's not Lerners fault ? He doesn't pick the players

lerner isnt to blame for the choice of bad purchases, after all he probably didnt have much clue about who was good or not, realistic buys etc, thats down to the managers to decide the appropriate purchases, even though theyve all fu cked up

but it is lerners fault for the managers hes employed whos made those bad purchases, but then hes had his board directors to help him decide who are good candidates to be a manager of this once fine club

in short, everyone fu cking muppet at this club is to blame

These are the teamsheets from the last two times I felt the lowest of the low as a Villa fan:

Arsenal 5 - 0 Villa (DOL gave his Arsenal-loving speech after this one, pretty much the last straw for most people):

Sorensen, De la Cruz (Cahill 52), Hughes, Ridgewell, Bouma, Hendrie, McCann, Davis, Barry (Agbonlahor 52), Phillips (Angel 45), Moore.

Fulham 2 - 0 Villa (we went out of the FA cup to Fulham when they were still in the 2nd div under Keegan):

Oakes, Ehiogu, Southgate, Barry, Watson, Scimeca, Taylor, Hendrie, Wright, Joachim, Merson. Subs: Grayson, Ferraresi, Bassell [sic], Hughes, Rachel.

To be honest, that first squad hardly inspires me with much more confidence than our current bunch. I'd certainly take the second right now, though.

Edited by Sureshot

Oops, did I forget to wrap my quote in sarcastic speech marks? ;)

• Like 1

The thing is for me we could actually have a squad of superstars of the future, Benteke, Westwood, Guzan, Weimann, Lowton, Gardner (when fit) all have bags of potential. The problem is there are so many of them in the one squad at the same time & the "experienced" players around them simply ain't doing it... That is where the problem lies.

Â