Worst Squad for a Generation?

Genie

These are the teamsheets from the last two times I felt the lowest of the low as a Villa fan:

Arsenal 5 - 0 Villa (DOL gave his Arsenal-loving speech after this one, pretty much the last straw for most people):

Sorensen, De la Cruz (Cahill 52), Hughes, Ridgewell, Bouma, Hendrie, McCann, Davis, Barry (Agbonlahor 52), Phillips (Angel 45), Moore.

Fulham 2 - 0 Villa (we went out of the FA cup to Fulham when they were still in the 2nd div under Keegan):

Oakes, Ehiogu, Southgate, Barry, Watson, Scimeca, Taylor, Hendrie, Wright, Joachim, Merson. Subs: Grayson, Ferraresi, Bassell [sic], Hughes, Rachel.

To be honest, that first squad hardly inspires me with much more confidence than our current bunch. I'd certainly take the second right now, though.

TBF I'd take the first one as well.

I think most of our current first-teamers have a lot of potential (or at least did), but the situation they have been thrown into - for a myriad reasons - has simply been too much for them... Being on the fringe for another few seasons, with sporadic appearances in "winnable" games, or substitutions while in an unassailable position, would have done them the world of good, and enhance their prospects of success. There simply isn't enough quality of experience, if I can use that term, to help bring them along in a more suitable manner...

If things don't change, some of these players careers will be ruined, if they're not already...

I remember the days of Gary Shaw coming into the side, or Mark Walters even, and these guys were tipped for success, but they did it surrounded by experienced, quality players...

I'm 42, and just can't believe what I'm seeing from our grand old club...

From MONs last season the team have lost:

John Carew

Ashley Young

Nigel Reo-Coker

Curtis Davies

Steven Sidwell

Brad Friedel

Nicky Shorey

Luke Young

Carlos Cuellar

James Milner

Stewart Downing

James Collins

Also

Stiliyan Petrov (Unfit)

Richard Dunne (Unfit)

Stephen Warnock (Bombed out)

The replacements of Ireland, Nzogbia, Makoun, Given and Hutton signed by managers before Lambert arrived has been very poor.

Lambert really had a huge task before he came in, bigger than I suspect even he thought as the quality we have lost since MON walked has been massive.

Edited by mykeyb

I wouldn't. Dreadful side.

This along with the Ellis thread are revisionism a it's finest. Or at least it's most annoying....

It was pretty uninspiring stuff that season, I agree. But there is little doubt in my mind that if in some way you could magically create a game between that squad as they were playing then, and our current one as it's playing now, our present squad would suffer another defeat.

I agree with PriceyDownunder, I think the players are for the most part allright, its just that you must have a few experienced players in the team to show/help the younger ones.I mean we beat Liverpool at Anfield ( not an easy task ) and if we had a few old hands in the team on a regular basis I think we would get better results on a regular basis.

I think the biggest problem is leaders, we have a few but they are under immense pressure, the squad isn't amazing but there aren't many players who are taking real responsibility.

Lowton does going forward but Clark behind him puts pressure on his defending abilities, Herd always looked the sort but he is at the back and unable to play naturally; I've been impressed with Baker but he has literally no protection, Albrighton is never fit.

I want to see Carruthers because he looks like a guy who wants the ball and is willing to drive us forward, similarly sitting in front of the defence we might get some joy out of Delph but in reality the centre midfield is killing us and a leader to take control of the ball...even slowing it down....would really help.

I can't see Benteke settling 100% just yet, but he's clearly a winner and believes in himself which makes him a potential leader in my book, still its the here and now we need.

Â