The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

As I've said doing his shoulder in 2010 for Man. City reduced his spring and means he can't dive across his goal properly most of the time so he lets in goals like that all the time and he can't save penalties anymore either.

That Mane goal was a bit like the ones he was conceding for Ireland at euro 2012.

I'm not searching through the whole of the Guzan thread (or was there a keepers thread?) but at the start of the season people were talking about him being in the top 4/5 keepers in the league.

He has had a rough couple of month's granted but I still think he is far and away better than Given. I've never been a fan so I'm not just posting this because of today's result but I think baby Brad should take the glove's here on in, including Wembley.

We'd have won those games with Guzan in goal. Given barely had a save to make over both of them.

Don't think it works like that. The fact is we won them with Given in goal and made a big difference after the loss against city

I've read this post about 10 times and I still don't know what it means.

It doesn't work like that?

What, me thinking we'd have won those games with guzan in goal?

• Like 1

We'd have won those games with Guzan in goal. Given barely had a save to make over both of them.

Don't think it works like that. The fact is we won them with Given in goal and made a big difference after the loss against city

I've read this post about 10 times and I still don't know what it means.

It doesn't work like that?

What, me thinking we'd have won those games with guzan in goal?

No you thinking that works like that, but it's a meaningless statement. The last game Guzan played we lost, mainly down to him.  We then won those games with Given in goal. 

You're making a change to an event that happened and assuming everything happens the same way.

Given didn't have much to do hence we'd have won if Guzan had played.

But Given not playing may have led to other things happening in the game that meant it didn't play out exactly the same way.

It's far too simple a thing to assume, like I said it doesn't work like that.

It's never a good day as a keeper when six go past you, no matter how many others you keep out. However, watching the goals, he clearly wasn't the main culprit. 

For the next two matches, it's easy to know what to do - he's already said Given starts in the final, so he has to play Burnley, hopefully that'll be an easy clean sheet as a confidence-builder. 

The summer is harder, though. Guzan won't be a number two, so if we do buy a keeper, we need to buy carefully and solve this position for a number of years. To be honest, I hope we do buy, I don't rate Guzan like others on here, and he has made a number of errors this season, and Given can't expect to be made the starting keeper when he's nearly 40 and only has a year on an overgenerous contract, not that he's been great either since coming into the side. 

You're making a change to an event that happened and assuming everything happens the same way.

Given didn't have much to do hence we'd have won if Guzan had played.

But Given not playing may have led to other things happening in the game that meant it didn't play out exactly the same way.

It's far too simple a thing to assume, like I said it doesn't work like that.

We'd have still won those games with Guzan in goal.

It's never a good day as a keeper when six go past you, no matter how many others you keep out. However, watching the goals, he clearly wasn't the main culprit. 

For the next two matches, it's easy to know what to do - he's already said Given starts in the final, so he has to play Burnley, hopefully that'll be an easy clean sheet as a confidence-builder. 

The summer is harder, though. Guzan won't be a number two, so if we do buy a keeper, we need to buy carefully and solve this position for a number of years. To be honest, I hope we do buy, I don't rate Guzan like others on here, and he has made a number of errors this season, and Given can't expect to be made the starting keeper when he's nearly 40 and only has a year on an overgenerous contract, not that he's been great either since coming into the side. 

Why wouldn't Guzan be a number two? Cech has been a number two this season, Casillas was a number two last year, plenty of other better keepers than Guzan have been number 2s in their period, Joe Hart had to bide his time last year.

If we do sign a young keeper from abroad then be prepared for errors in the first few months as they adapt to the amount of crosses and physical contact in this league. Remember how dodgy De Gea looked first few months.

It makes sense for Guzan to hand around until January and see what happens, he can still win his place back after all.

Why wouldn't Guzan be a number two? Cech has been a number two this season, Casillas was a number two last year, plenty of other better keepers than Guzan have been number 2s in their period, Joe Hart had to bide his time last year.

If we do sign a young keeper from abroad then be prepared for errors in the first few months as they adapt to the amount of crosses and physical contact in this league. Remember how dodgy De Gea looked first few months.

It makes sense for Guzan to hand around until January and see what happens, he can still win his place back after all.

I don't think we'll want to pay someone as much as he likely earns to sit on the bench, for one thing. For another, I would have thought spending a long period of time on the bench would be detrimental to his international prospects. 

Â