The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

It was clearly a foul and therefore Given gets no blame for it. More culpable are the player/s who switched off and allowed Jagielka to finish unopposed. I think that was Sánchez's responsibility but I'd have to watch again to be sure.

Think he should have done better for both goals personally - Lukaku's pen wasn't up to much and he should have been stronger with Coleman. I think Guzan would have kept at least one of those out.

Think he should have done better for both goals personally - Lukaku's pen wasn't up to much and he should have been stronger with Coleman. I think Guzan would have kept at least one of those out.

the penalty was right in the corner, most keepers wouldnt have saved it wspecially as Given was about 3 yards off his line as well to cover the angle

maybe I only saw from one angle but its a bit absurd to say Guzan would have kept it out

Given was wrong footed so couldn't get a full dive to the side. One of those things, can't blame him, and can't say someone else would've saved it. If he's not got his weight on the other foot he saves it, and there's a 50/50 luck of the draw shot on which foot is planted for a peno

not at fault for anything today, nearly got the penalty and that was a blatant foul for the second. That was one of the worst ref perfomances I have seen in a long time

• Like 1

Not really sure about Shay's performance today, he was weak on the second goal (even if it's a foul, a big keeper would've had no trouble with it) and I don't think he left his feet but just fell for the penalty.

Shay looks very small, and cannot jump. I don't like it, even if he is a calming figure back there.

I'd bring Guzan back for next game.

Edited by AVTuco

I was sat in The Holte End and could see it was a foul. 

I said to this lad at half time, I hadn't realised just how low Guzan's confidence had fallen until I saw Given in goal today. His confidence rubbed off on me, just getting the basics spot on is often enough. 

Think he deserved his chance and he did OK with it. Keeps his spot. 

Pretty clear example of the difference in style between him and Guzan. Goose would've been pouncing out to get that rather than stand on his line. 

It was coming straight down from the sky, any keeper would of had to stay on the line and jump straight up to claim it.  Coleman had his hand grabbed and prevented him from getting off the ground.

On second viewing, you're right. Nonetheless, despite the interference, Given should have been a bit more aggressive there, IMO.

Not that it really matters, roll on Villa!

The big test literally and figuratively will be against West Ham. If Sam knows anything about Given, he will set up his team to float in crosses which will force Given to come out and try to gather them. 

Guzan hasn't kept a penalty out since the Peace Cup.  He would not have saved that penalty.

I think you're wrong by about 6 penalties there chap!

He saved one at Norwich but cant remember many more from Brad sadly, though other Brad was crap at them as well

Â