The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Given is, eh, given the starting role by Sherwood off the back of the Leicester performance. I'm not agreeing with that decision btw. I just think it was that good that an incoming manager trying to change a team's prospects would have to have sat up and taken note.

• Like 1

I would be surprised.

Very unpleasantly surprised.

He'll know that Guzan is number 1. Replacing him because of one save would be a very strange decision before he's even had a chance to see what Guzan can do.

Now if Guzan had a couple of games and THEN he put Given in, I could understand it (even if I didn't agree with it)

• Like 1

I would be surprised.

He'll know that Guzan is number 1. Replacing him because of one save would be a very strange decision before he's even had a chance to see what Guzan can do.

Now if Guzan had a couple of games and THEN he put Given in, I could understand it (even if I didn't agree with it)

Pretty sure there will be a surprise in the pack on saturday - a new manager must be seen to do something.  I like Guzan for ability on crosses nothing short of phonenmal - I could see Given in though as a 'you get your chance - you take it'  sort of message...

I would be surprised.

Pretty sure there will be a surprise in the pack on saturday - a new manager must be seen to do something.  I like Guzan for ability on crosses nothing short of phonenmal - I could see Given in though as a 'you get your chance - you take it'  sort of message...

I'm sure there will be changes.

I'd be annoyed if there wasn't.

But the change shouldn't be the goalkeeper.

I would be surprised.

Hearing Sherwood speak, I would say its more down to who wants it and performs in training. rather than the one save.

I would be surprised.

Hearing Sherwood speak, I would say its more down to who wants it and performs in training. rather than the one save.

Good.

But in that's case there's no way of us having a hunch he'll pick Given ahead of Guzan as we don't know what they're like in training.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Given is, eh, given the starting role by Sherwood off the back of the Leicester performance. I'm not agreeing with that decision btw. I just think it was that good that an incoming manager trying to change a team's prospects would have to have sat up and taken note.

There's been absolutely nothing wrong with our goalkeeping though. Sherwood coming in and changing an area that's been working fine would send a very bad message. There are changes to be made, but they're not in goal until Brad gives him a reason to change it. If Guzan has a stinker in his next game, I'm all for trying Given after that, but you simply do NOT come in and change something that doesn't have a problem for the sake of it

There's been absolutely nothing wrong with our goalkeeping though. Sherwood coming in and changing an area that's been working fine would send a very bad message. There are changes to be made, but they're not in goal until Brad gives him a reason to change it. If Guzan has a stinker in his next game, I'm all for trying Given after that, but you simply do NOT come in and change something that doesn't have a problem for the sake of it

I bloody love Brad Guzan me, but to see any position currently in our team doesn't 'have a problem' is misguided.

I bloody love Brad Guzan me, but to see any position currently in our team doesn't 'have a problem' is misguided.

What's wrong with our goalkeeping at present?

Absolutely Nothing.

If we had the money to replace everybody in the squad, Guzan would be the last squad member to go.

Guzan is too good for us in all honesty.

Edited by Stevo985

Absolutely Nothing.

If we had the money to replace everybody in the squad, Guzan would be the last squad member to go.

Guzan is too good for us in all honesty.

I don't understand how this is being discussed. Guzan has had what 1 poor match this season, but numerous fantastic ones? Not only is Guzan a fine keeper, he is also a leader on the pitch. Last thing Sherwood would want to do is shake up the team's most consistent player. 

• Like 3

Guzan has had a few dodgy moments this season, I think he'd admit that himself.

I don't think there is a fear of him being dropped, he shouldn't be,  but it’s no harm at all to see Given put in a MOTM performance and remind the Goose that he has competition.

Edited by Villastine

Guzan hasn't lived up to the expectations he set 2 seasons ago, but I still think he is a brilliant keeper (certainly for the level we're at) despite a few mistakes. He is a commanding presence in the box and helps the entire back 4 perform better. Given doesn't do that. Great back up, though.

Â