The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I've long thought Celtic but only if Fraser Forster leaves.

Hull signed McGregor and Steve Harper so no chance him going there.

And if he leaves it will be on loan as who will a) pay us any sort of fee for him and B) commit to paying him his 50-60k wages.

That 5 year deal was madness, we really should've just offered the 5 year deal to Friedel instead of giving him just the 3 and thinking he'd be ready to retire once that was up.

Looks like we are stuck with him for another 2 years.  I wonder if there are Job Descriptions in players contracts. 

Like could we have him helping out the grounds men cutting the grass and working in the canteen?  Maybe packing and unpacking the team bus?

• Like 1

we really should've just offered the 5 year deal to Friedel instead of giving him just the 3 and thinking he'd be ready to retire once that was up.

You would have been happy with a 45 year old keeper? ....Further more you would have been happy IF MCLEISH was happy with a 45 year old keeper?

we really should've just offered the 5 year deal to Friedel instead of giving him just the 3 and thinking he'd be ready to retire once that was up.

You would have been happy with a 45 year old keeper? ....Further more you would have been happy IF MCLEISH was happy with a 45 year old keeper?

I think what he was trying to say was we should have offered Friedel the 5 year deal at the time he initially signed, therefore it would now be expired. All very speculative however!

I think what he was trying to say was we should have offered Friedel the 5 year deal at the time he initially signed, therefore it would now be expired. All very speculative however!

Edited by Mammoth10

Ah OK!

Still it was a gamble offering a 37 year old a three year deal, 5 years would have been madness at the time.

Yeah I know but I guess that was ;part of the thinking behind the madness of giving Given 5 years, just give him one straight 5 year deal instead of giving Friedel 3 thinking he'd be ready to retire once it expired and then having to come up with another contract offer for a 40 year old.

The obvious problem is Given doesn't have the durability of Friedel and I think he's been knackred fitness wise since he did his groin against Man. United in the December of his first season.

End of the day Given does actually want to play football so I do have sympathy as he could've just done a Cudcini or Ross Turnbull and just stayed number 2 at City, played some of the cup games and added a few medals to this cabinet. 

He came here and it hasn't worked out. I was surprised McLeish went for him tbh, I thought at the time Ben Foster would be nailed on to join aswell.

End of the day Given does actually want to play football so I do have sympathy as he could've just done a Cudcini or Ross Turnbull and just stayed number 2 at City, played some of the cup games and added a few medals to this cabinet.

He came here and it hasn't worked out. I was surprised McLeish went for him tbh, I thought at the time Ben Foster would be nailed on to join aswell.

After tapping up McLeish there was no way they would have sold us foster.

I never rated given even in his pomp at Newcastle, a fine reflex keeper and that's it, madness to sign him for £6million on a 5 year deal on a wage that's the GDP of a small country.

End of the day Given does actually want to play football so I do have sympathy as he could've just done a Cudcini or Ross Turnbull and just stayed number 2 at City, played some of the cup games and added a few medals to this cabinet.

£6million on a 5 year deal on a wage that's the GDP of a small country.

I thought he cost less than that. Jesus H.

batman-robin-1966-tv-peguin.jpg?w=560&h=

I've heard he's very arrogant.

I'd be very interested to hear where you've heard this.

As would I. Everything I've heard about the guy suggests he's an absolute gent. Not that it proves very much but he was on a stag in my hometown last year and my friend works in the hotel they stayed in. She said he was extremely nice.

Didn't Lambert even call him a "model pro" the other night?

• Like 1

I've heard he's very arrogant.

I'd be very interested to hear where you've heard this.

As would I. Everything I've heard about the guy suggests he's an absolute gent. Not that it proves very much but he was on a stag in my hometown last year and my friend works in the hotel they stayed in. She said he was extremely nice.

Didn't Lambert even call him a "model pro" the other night?

Killarney?

Â