U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not trying to be rude, but none of these are particularly good reasons to doubt the validity of the poll. 

Also, 'remember, Republicans vote for Republicans' is meaningless. Most do, but some don't. If it were a complete statement of fact, vote totals would exactly match party registration, which they obviously don't. Presidents do, in fact, become more or less popular at different points in their presidencies - even with their own supporters!

What I mean by that is there are Republican voters and there are Trump voters. Much like there are Democrats, and there are Sanders supporters. But Democrats will choose to not vote, as a protest, whereas Republicans come out in force.

We saw it in France too where their attitude was 'none of the above' . 

I just don't feel this poll is particularly representative of Trump supporters (who like Momentum move the voting conversation) and is more representative of a Republican feeling. I'd like to see a poll completed in Trump heavy regions, I think there is more of a 'Shy Tory Factor' at play than many realise.

52 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I agree with this. Also id add, in response that 'many trump supporters work too hard to pick up a phone'. Isn't this true of all people? If we're talking something that is representative like a poll?

unless those who vote trump are more likely to be working too hard to pick up the phone?

I'm struggling to infer anything else from that statement otherwise, why include it?

In fact red states rely on government support than blue states.

You are right and I shouldn't have bothered including it. 

54 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

What I mean by that is there are Republican voters and there are Trump voters. Much like there are Democrats, and there are Sanders supporters. But Democrats will choose to not vote, as a protest, whereas Republicans come out in force.

I don't really understand your point here. 

To address what I think you're saying - 'Enthusiasm' is not a one-way street. Republicans do not, in fact, always 'come out in force', and we don't have to go too far back in history, to 2008, to find an election in which a deeply unpopular Republican president and a crap candidate led to lots of Republicans staying home. 

Whether voters stay home or not is dictated, in part, by the enthusiasm they feel for a particular candidate, which is why it's important to measure the strength of people's approval for a candidate rather than just approve/disapprove. When we do that, we find that not only are Trump's top-line numbers very poor, but that his support is softening. 

59 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

I'd like to see a poll completed in Trump heavy regions, I think there is more of a 'Shy Tory Factor' at play than many realise.

What advantage would be provided by a poll that deliberately ignored voters in purple states that actually change hands in elections? Voters in 'Trump-heavy regions' are already included in national polls. 

--------------------------------------------------

None of this is to say that this trend will continue, of course. Observing a trend in the recent past and the present is not a prediction for the future. But your initial claim was that focusing on the Russia scandal is galvanising and 'emboldening' Trump's supporters. The fact is, there's no evidence for that. In reality, whether due to the scandal or other factors or both (and 'both' seems obviously true to me) his support is declining amongst the general population, and the strength of it is declining amongst his supporters. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't really understand your point here. 

To address what I think you're saying - 'Enthusiasm' is not a one-way street. Republicans do not, in fact, always 'come out in force', and we don't have to go too far back in history, to 2008, to find an election in which a deeply unpopular Republican president and a crap candidate led to lots of Republicans staying home. 

Whether voters stay home or not is dictated, in part, by the enthusiasm they feel for a particular candidate, which is why it's important to measure the strength of people's approval for a candidate rather than just approve/disapprove. When we do that, we find that not only are Trump's top-line numbers very poor, but that his support is softening. 

What advantage would be provided by a poll that deliberately ignored voters in purple states that actually change hands in elections? Voters in 'Trump-heavy regions' are already included in national polls. 

--------------------------------------------------

None of this is to say that this trend will continue, of course. Observing a trend in the recent past and the present is not a prediction for the future. But your initial claim was that focusing on the Russia scandal is galvanising and 'emboldening' Trump's supporters. The fact is, there's no evidence for that. In reality, whether due to the scandal or other factors or both (and 'both' seems obviously true to me) his support is declining amongst the general population, and the strength of it is declining amongst his supporters. 

Obama might help you here. His vote showed, twice. When it didn't, the Democrats suffered. The sad rhetoric of the right softened many of their own supporters, and while they might not have voted, Obama's guys did.

That's why it would be interesting to see how typical Trump supporters are feeling, rather than a cross section of the population. Also from both a Democrat and Republican POV that's vital information. Perhaps even for policy makers!

I'm sorry, but all this started because the BBC posted stories about people taking their kids out of scouts, so if you want proof, head to twitter, facebook or youtube. People (especially the core supporters) feel the media is being unfair to him and the Russia scandal is a huge element of that blunt approach to journalism. 

In the general population yes. But there is absolutely evidence to say that this one dimensional pressure is creating a narrative of its own. That seems a risky game to play if the evidence doesn't stick.

From the Chief: Our Perspective on the Presidential Visit

Scouting Family,

In the last two weeks, we have celebrated the best of Scouting at our 20th National Jamboree with nearly 40,000 participants, volunteers, staff and visitors. The 2017 National Jamboree has showcased and furthered the Scouting mission by combining adventure and leadership development to give youth life-changing experiences. Scouts from Alaska met Scouts from Alabama; Scouts from New Mexico met those from New York, and American youth met youth from 59 other countries.

Over the course of ten days, Scouts have taken part in adventures, learned new skills, made new and lasting friendships and completed over 200 community service projects that offered 100,000 hours of service to the community by young men and women eager to do the right thing for the right reasons.

These character-building experiences have not diminished in recent days at the jamboree –  Scouts have continued to trade patches, climb rock walls, and share stories about the day’s adventures. But for our Scouting family at home not able to see these real moments of Scouting, we know the past few days have been overshadowed by the remarks offered by the President of the United States.

I want to extend my sincere apologies to those in our Scouting family who were offended by the political rhetoric that was inserted into the jamboree. That was never our intent. The invitation for the sitting U.S. President to visit the National Jamboree is a long-standing tradition that has been extended to the leader of our nation that has had a Jamboree during his term since 1937. It is in no way an endorsement of any person, party or policies. For years, people have called upon us to take a position on political issues, and we have steadfastly remained non-partisan and refused to comment on political matters. We sincerely regret that politics were inserted into the Scouting program.

While we live in a challenging time in a country divided along political lines, the focus of Scouting remains the same today as every day.

Trustworthiness, loyalty, kindness and bravery are just a few of the admirable traits Scouts aspire to develop – in fact, they make up the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

As part of our program’s duty to country, we teach youth to become active citizens, to participate in their government, respect the variety of perspectives and to stand up for individual rights.

Few will argue the importance of teaching values and responsibility to our youth — not only right from wrong, but specific positive values such as fairness, courage, honor and respect for others.

For all of the adventure we provide youth such as hiking, camping and zip-lining, those activities actually serve as proven pathways and opportunities to develop leadership skills and become people of character.

In a time when differences seem to separate our country, we hope the true spirit of Scouting will empower our next generation of leaders to bring people together to do good in the world.

Yours in Scouting,

Mike

• Like 1

For those wondering just how much further British football and the US presidency can fall, try googling "Blackpool Latvia Trump drugs cartel".

Admittedly not a search that many would happen upon by chance.

4 hours ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

I'm sorry, but all this started because the BBC posted stories about people taking their kids out of scouts, so if you want proof, head to twitter, facebook or youtube. People (especially the core supporters) feel the media is being unfair to him and the Russia scandal is a huge element of that blunt approach to journalism.

It's an interesting video, for sure. 

But polls are a better sample of public opinion than social media, at the end of the day. 

Defense chiefs resist Donald Trump's ban on transgender troops

US defense chiefs have pushed back against Donald Trump’s attempt to ban transgender people from serving in the military, saying the policy would not be overturned until they received formal direction to do so.

In a rebuke to Trump’s attempt to run the government and military via Twitter, Gen Joseph Dunford, America’s top military officer, said on Thursday that the armed forces would continue to permit transgender people to serve openly until the defense secretary, Jim Mattis, has received Trump’s “direction” to change the policy and figured out how to implement it.

In a memo to all military service chiefs, commanders and enlisted military leaders, Dunford, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, said “there will be no modifications” to current policy for now, amid questions about Trump’s announcement on Twitter that the US government will not “accept or allow” transgender people to serve in any capacity in the military.

“I know there are questions about yesterday’s announcement,” Dunford began, adding that nothing would change until the president’s direction has been received by Mattis and Mattis has issued “implementation guidance”.

“In the meantime, we will continue to treat all of our personnel with respect,” Dunford wrote. “As importantly, given the current fight and the challenges we face, we will all remain focused on accomplishing our assigned missions.”

he Dunford statement suggests that Mattis was given no presidential direction on changing the transgender policy. Mattis has been on vacation this week and has been publicly silent amid questions about Trump’s announced ban. His spokesmen declined to comment on Thursday. On Wednesday, they said the Pentagon would work with the White House and provide revised guidance to the military “in the near future”.

Dunford himself was not aware that Trump was going to announce the ban, a US official said. The official was not authorized to discuss the matter and so spoke on condition of anonymity.

Trump’s announcement caught the Pentagon flat-footed and unable to explain what it called Trump’s “guidance”.

...more on link

http://www.thedailybeast.com/scaramucci-reince-is-a-****-paranoid-schizophrenic

Anthony Scaramucci unloaded on Reince Priebus in a profanity-laced tirade with the New Yorker on Thursday. “Reince is a **** paranoid schizophrenic, a paranoiac,” the new White House communications director said of the president's chief of staff. “Reince Priebus—if you want to leak something—he’ll be asked to resign very shortly.” Scaramucci has made stopping White House leaks his top priority. “What I want to do is I want to **** kill all the leakers and I want to get the President’s agenda on track so we can succeed for the American people,” he said. Scaramucci denied that he craves media attention. “I’m not Steve Bannon, I’m not trying to suck my own cock.” Scaramucci responded to his published comments later Thursday, writing on Twitter: “I sometimes use colorful language. I will refrain in this arena but not give up the passionate fight for @realDonaldTrump’s agenda.”

Erm, wtf

And from the original New Yorker article.

On Wednesday night, I received a phone call from Anthony Scaramucci, the new White House communications director. He wasn’t happy. Earlier in the night, I’d tweeted, citing a “senior White House official,” that Scaramucci was having dinner at the White House with President Trump, the First Lady, Sean Hannity, and the former Fox News executive Bill Shine. It was an interesting group, and raised some questions. Was Trump getting strategic advice from Hannity? Was he considering hiring Shine? But Scaramucci had his own question—for me.

“Who leaked that to you?” he asked. I said I couldn’t give him that information. He responded by threatening to fire the entire White House communications staff. “What I’m going to do is, I will eliminate everyone in the comms team and we’ll start over,” he said. I laughed, not sure if he really believed that such a threat would convince a journalist to reveal a source.

He continued to press me and complain about the staff he’s inherited in his new job. “I ask these guys not to leak anything and they can’t help themselves,” he said. “You’re an American citizen, this is a major catastrophe for the American country. So I’m asking you as an American patriot to give me a sense of who leaked it.”

This guy is **** insane.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

This guy is **** insane.

A friend of mine met him at some Harvard event several years ago and said the guy is a sociopath. It's written all over his face, anyway, not a hard conclusion to come to. And already exposed as a complete amateur in way over his head. **** him, I look forward to things getting even worse for him.

Cue a reduction of resources for Arizona from agencies controlled by the executive branch, as happened with Alaska after Murkowski voted against opening debate.

Will some Republican senators now finally be willing to reach across the aisle to help address the shortcomings of Obamacare so that they're actually improving the health care situation for those who aren't young, healthy and/or covered through their employer?  Or will they follow Trump's advice to just let it implode (which there's little reason to believe will happen) and try to hang health care problems around the Dems' necks?  The latter approach will not end well for anyone, as I think they would be in for a rude awakening regarding who the public holds responsible for any worsening of the system. 

11 hours ago, snowychap said:

He seemed only a minute or two away from 'grabbing her by the pussy'. :(

From about half way through, he kept on touching her.  Very odd.  And then there's this.  She seems to be watching his hands...as you would...

Scaramucci.JPG

• Like 1

Â