U.S. Politics

maqroll

Hilarious... the amount of times murder/assasination/death of Trump has been speculated on and laughed over in this thread, yet when a known warmonger with zero concern for the social fabric of society is mocked, oh think of the children. 

Get a grip. McCain deserves very little to no sympathy. Watch how he resigns now, so that the job of governing the country can actually take place instead of hanging onto power until the last possible moment like certain Kennedy/Dingell scumbags not too long ago. Will it be his wife of daughter who runs for his seat. 

Edited by villakram

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Trump will get a second term.

As of right now, given the utter chaos and corruption in the D ranks, this cannot have long odds. If he gets tax through, and the midterms go ok, R will be happy as hell to keep him on. It's almost funny. 

His interest in pardoning himself and everyone near him is purely academic you understand. 

Fake news from the failing Washington Post and MSNBC, who I hear have terrible ratings and everyone says they smell. Sad!

Edited by Chindie

7 hours ago, snowychap said:

Trump will get a second term.

Yep.

I think the only chance of this not happening is if by some miracle the investigations get close enough that the Republicans do a Caesar on him to save themselves, or in a similar circumstance they can shuffle him off without damaging things too much, persuading him it saves (what's left) of his reputation. Claiming ill health perhaps, which might actually be legit, there's no way he's of entirely sound mind, he acts and speaks like someone at the start of dementia.

There's no way an impeachment happens without a literal, completely unarguable and indefensible smoking gun with his hand on it. And even then the Republicans would argue over exactly what a gun is and whether he's allowed to have his hand on the possible gun and what the exact nature of the smoke is. And the Democrats don't look like they'll be able to win over the Trump vote or put up a genuinely good candidate.

So Trump is only likely to go when the Republicans want him to.

And then the concern is Pence. As has been said, Trump is a buffoon. Pence is a politician with evil views.

Trump barely won a first term, failing not only to win a majority but even a plurality. He was the most unpopular candidate in a presidential election in many a year, and had the pure good fortune to be competing against the 2nd-most unpopular. He only won because of the optimal geographical distribution of his vote. Since the election, he has only become more unpopular, and has become significantly so. 

Could he win a second term? Absolutely. We're barely 1/8 of the way through his first term. Anything could happen. But he didn't exactly have a lot of room to throw voters away and his trend so far has very much been downward. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Trump barely won a first term, failing not only to win a majority but even a plurality. He was the most unpopular candidate in a presidential election in many a year, and had the pure good fortune to be competing against the 2nd-most unpopular. He only won because of the optimal geographical distribution of his vote. Since the election, he has only become more unpopular, and has become significantly so. 

Could he win a second term? Absolutely. We're barely 1/8 of the way through his first term. Anything could happen. But he didn't exactly have a lot of room to throw voters away and his trend so far has very much been downward. 

Agree with most of that except for bit about Hillary being 2nd most unpopular. Didn't she win more votes than anyone who wasn't called Barak Obama? Not 100% and don't have time to double check but sure I remember something like that.

Edited by villaglint

Hillary Clinton is still more unpopular than Trump

unpopularity contest

Donald Trump is one of the least popular politicians in the history of the United States. Yet, Trump is still more popular than Hillary Clinton. Let that sink in.

According to the latest Bloomberg National Poll, Trump has a net favorability of 41% whereas Clinton has a net favorability of 39%. If Democrats are to escape the political wilderness, they will have to leave Clinton and her brand of politics in the woods.

She really isn't popular and it is a massive failure by the Democrats that they still have not really worked out why people don't like them.  Not being Donald Trump is not enough.

• Like 1

If the democrats don't learn come the mid terms or the maniac hasn't gotten himself impeached, then they will learn come 2020. I am staggered at the prospect Trump could win another term, surely, surely, surely after everything he's done and insulted, this great big offence to human decency wouldn't win again?

23 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Agree with most of that except for bit about Hillary being 2nd most unpopular. Didn't she win more votes than anyone who wasn't called Barak Obama? Not 100% and don't have time to double check but sure I remember something like that.

I don't have data to hand. You might be right about the number of votes, but if so, that doesn't prove much, as the population of America has expanded rapidly. I base the '2nd-most unpopular' line on her net approval rating. I'll try to remember to link something on it tonight. 

• Like 1

Spicey's gone.

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer has quit, reportedly in protest at a shake-up of the communications team.

Mr Spicer stepped down because he was unhappy with President Donald Trump's appointment of a new communications director, reports the New York Times.

Combative Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci has been picked for the role that Mr Spicer partially filled.

Mr Spicer's press briefings were a cable news hit, but he withdrew from camera in recent weeks.

The shake-up comes as the White House faces inquiries into alleged Russian meddling in last year's US presidential election and whether Mr Trump's campaign team colluded with Moscow.

The New York Times reports that Mr Spicer "vehemently" disagreed with the appointment of Mr Scaramucci, which he believed to be a "major mistake".

...more on link

Scaramucci is a sharp operator and a significant upgrade to whoever has been doing their communication until now. I suspect he's been brought in to keep those getting nervous, about the lack of progress regarding the huge tax breaks that are planned, in line. 

I kinda hope Trump does away with the press briefings just to see the media reaction.

To lose to a Trump led party once is an embarrassment. If it happens a second time!

Clinton is political poison it would seem. 

Â