U.S. Politics

maqroll

Mike Flynn's lawyers no longer sharing information with Trump's, quite a good sign that they are at least negotiating with the investigators or even that Flynn is now co-operating.

That's one big fish for the investigators to get on side with.

• Like 1

Flynn has been trying to cut a deal since the start of the year, he must be relieved that Mueller has brought him in from the cold. For Flynn to be worth anything he has to be giving up one or all of Trump, Trump Jr and Kushner.  If Flynn can't get the goods on them he isn't worth anything, also if Flynn gets a deal it means that it has to be Trump that Mueller is looking to prosecute.

20 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Flynn has been trying to cut a deal since the start of the year, he must be relieved that Mueller has brought him in from the cold. For Flynn to be worth anything he has to be giving up one or all of Trump, Trump Jr and Kushner.  If Flynn can't get the goods on them he isn't worth anything, also if Flynn gets a deal it means that it has to be Trump that Mueller is looking to prosecute.

Apparently, Flynn is worried that Flynn Jr will get prosecuted. Which means a number of things

1) Flynn knows Flynn Jr has a case to answer as he's not only his father but was also his boss

2) If the above is true (and I cant see why it isn't) then Flynn must also know he's done for by implication

As much as he might be prepared to take a fall himself, his deal will definitely involve some sort of immunity for his son I reckon.

I also think you're right re Trump being the ultimate target here. They probably have enough on Kushner and Trump Jr already tbh

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Apparently, Flynn is worried that Flynn Jr will get prosecuted. Which means a number of things

1) Flynn knows Flynn Jr has a case to answer as he's not only his father but was also his boss

2) If the above is true (and I cant see why it isn't) then Flynn must also know he's done for by implication

As much as he might be prepared to take a fall himself, his deal will definitely involve some sort of immunity for his son I reckon.

I also think you're right re Trump being the ultimate target here. They probably have enough on Kushner and Trump Jr already tbh

Agree with all that, I think Flynn was the first one to realise the implications of what he had done (with his son) and the first in the Trump circle to understand that they were not going to get away with it.  It is fascinating watching all this unfold, it is in my view the biggest political scandal in the western world in modern history.  It is probably up there with the Civil war and the American revolution as momentous moments in US history.  This puts Watergate so far in the shade that it's getting Seasonal Affective Disorder.

What really worries me are the consequences of this.  Not just what a moron like Trump will do when he realises that he is cornered, but way beyond his administration.  I mean how does the next administration deal with a problem like Putin?  Nations have gone to war over less. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

... how does the next administration deal with a problem like Putin?  Nations have gone to war over less. 

May's called Putin out as well.

Then this from a couple of days ago...

Russian President Vladimir Putin has seemingly put his country on a war footing by telling businesses that they should be ready to switch production to military needs at any time.

Putin's words come just the day after he said his nation should aim to overtake the West in terms of military technology.

Putin was speaking at a conference of military leaders in Sochi on Wednesday (22 November) at a time when western leaders have become more suspicious of a militarily resurgent Russia.

"The ability of our economy to increase military production and services at a given time is one of the most important aspects of military security," Putin said according to The Independent.

"To this end, all strategic, and simply large-scale enterprise should be ready, regardless of ownership."

Although Russian military spending remains at record levels, 3 trillion roubles, or 3.3 per cent of GDP this year, just under its spending last year, Putin said that Russia needs to aim to be better than the rest of the world.

"Our army and navy need to have the very best equipment — better than foreign equivalents," he said, according to AFP. "If we want to win, we have to be better."

Russia's military has been modernised since the 2008 Georgian war and it has dumped outdated Soviet equipment used by its troops.

IBT/MSN

It's hilarious how badly he wants to be time's person of the year. As president, he lies about turning it down. Before that, he has fakes of him on the cover knocked up and displayed in his golf courses...

I'm reliably informed that this image appears in the foyer of his hotels. Sad.

2l77Ebt.png

On 11/24/2017 at 05:32, Straggler said:

Agree with all that, I think Flynn was the first one to realise the implications of what he had done (with his son) and the first in the Trump circle to understand that they were not going to get away with it.  It is fascinating watching all this unfold, it is in my view the biggest political scandal in the western world in modern history.  It is probably up there with the Civil war and the American revolution as momentous moments in US history.  This puts Watergate so far in the shade that it's getting Seasonal Affective Disorder.

What really worries me are the consequences of this.  Not just what a moron like Trump will do when he realises that he is cornered, but way beyond his administration.  I mean how does the next administration deal with a problem like Putin?  Nations have gone to war over less. 

A little on the dramatic side there!

Also, what is this thing that is so dramatic and where is the evidence? There's been an astonishing lack of that so far, given that the intelligence establishment declared open season on Trump. But, that's probably due to Russia too, damn Putin!

9 hours ago, villakram said:

A little on the dramatic side there!

Also, what is this thing that is so dramatic and where is the evidence? There's been an astonishing lack of that so far, given that the intelligence establishment declared open season on Trump. But, that's probably due to Russia too, damn Putin!

The evidence is there in huge quantities if you care to look for it, a great deal of it already discussed in this thread. If you want evidence of Russian interference in the election you need look no further than the entire us political and intelligence community who all agree (bar Trump) that it happened. 

Did the Trump campaign have secret communication with the Russian's, the answer is again yes and the evidence for that is already in the public domain, as are his financial links with Putin and Trumps desire to build Trump tower Moscow. None of this is rumours it is all well documented evidence. 

The astonishing thing is that the weight of puplicly available evidence hasn't got him out of office yet. I'm only scratching the surface here of what is already known, there are people who have entire careers based on compiling this so I can't hope to do an effective summary in one post.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's hilarious how badly he wants to be time's person of the year. As president, he lies about turning it down. Before that, he has fakes of him on the cover knocked up and displayed in his golf courses...

I'm reliably informed that this image appears in the foyer of his hotels. Sad.

2l77Ebt.png

It's outrageous that he's photoshopped himself over the face of John Terry.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

America's 'paper of record' has a sympathetic take on neo-Nazis in your neighbourhood. They're ironic now!

That's not how I interpreted it.

Firstly without the context of the whole article(s), its impossible to compare them. But how I read them in isolation is as follows

The Neo-Nazi bit comes across as saying how in certain areas of the US, characters like him are not that unusual

The cigar thief bit comes across as a description of the deceased's life.

I'm also of the impression they come from two totally different types of article

It strikes me as the kind of criticism where the critic should actually have a good hard look at themselves and their critical faculties. It's not particularly helpful to anyone or any cause. It's also notable how the articles themselves aren't linked in the tweet.

• Like 1

I completely disagree, to be honest. Actually the two stories come from similar types of piece. The first, which was released this week, is a bizarre chin-stroking personal profile of a Nazi (found here) which, over more than 2,200 words devoted to one single individual bell-piece, tells us about his thoughts on humour, what he's cooking for dinner, what his pets are, what he did for his wedding and how he decorates his house. It would be indulgent if it were written about a literary titan, let alone Mr Random Dickhead on Stormfront. 

The second is also a personal profile (found here) of the young man whose murder started the Ferguson riots. The paper subsequently apologised for the 'no angel' remark, the placement of the story within the paper next to a profile of the killer, and the bizarre equation of rapping with being troubled at the end of the story. 

Both pieces are 'personal profiles' of people the paper finds interesting in some way. But the tone is very different. There's no 'cause' here, just an observation about how the American media talk about white racists versus how they talk about young black men. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Straggler said:

The evidence is there in huge quantities if you care to look for it, a great deal of it already discussed in this thread. If you want evidence of Russian interference in the election you need look no further than the entire us political and intelligence community who all agree (bar Trump) that it happened. 

Did the Trump campaign have secret communication with the Russian's, the answer is again yes and the evidence for that is already in the public domain, as are his financial links with Putin and Trumps desire to build Trump tower Moscow. None of this is rumours it is all well documented evidence. 

The astonishing thing is that the weight of puplicly available evidence hasn't got him out of office yet. I'm only scratching the surface here of what is already known, there are people who have entire careers based on compiling this so I can't hope to do an effective summary in one post.

The NSA had medium confidence in the evidence of Russian hacking, while the FBI and CIA had high confidence.  Two of these organizations came out publicly against Trump. Their evidence is based on hearsay and allegations from biased individuals. The organization with direct access to evidence is much more skeptical. Make of that what you will.

There is no evidence of criminal acts. Is it illegal to interact with people of a specific nation called Russia? Lots and lots of ethically and morally dubious goings on, but no evidence I am aware of in the public domain of an illegal act.

Investigate any wealthy person and a means to take them down will be found. This investigation is wholly political in nature and if it continues in this manner does not bode well for the health of democracy in the USA.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

There is no evidence of criminal acts. Is it illegal to interact with people of a specific nation called Russia? Lots and lots of ethically and morally dubious goings on, but no evidence I am aware of in the public domain of an illegal act.

The possible crimes are explained in lots of tweets by this guy.

• Like 1

Â