Playstation 4

hogso

I'm still on Ps3 although I've stopped playing it altogether since they stopped making GTA updates.

Anyway, quick question. Do you have to pay extra to play online on PS4?

Yes. You have to have a PS+ subscription which is £40 for the year I believe.

But given the quality of the free games they give out as part of that, it's really very cheap. (Rocket League was worth the £40 alone!)

I'm still on Ps3 although I've stopped playing it altogether since they stopped making GTA updates.

Anyway, quick question. Do you have to pay extra to play online on PS4?

Yes. You have to have a PS+ subscription which is £40 for the year I believe.

But given the quality of the free games they give out as part of that, it's really very cheap. (Rocket League was worth the £40 alone!)

Ah, OK. So definitely worth it?

Think i'll pick one up at Xmas.

Definitely in my opinion.

Obviously if you don't do much online gaming and you wouldn't play the free games that come onto PS+ then it would be a different story. But all you have to do is download two or three of the full games they put on there and you've got your money back

• Like 1

I've bought them. I'm sure Sony's commission cheque is in the post for you ;)

(I got them in white. Got to match the PS4 after all!)

Alas I don't have an affiliate link.  Let me know your thoughts though. 

I got my Turtle Beach P12's for £20 and they are brilliant.

Much better than some of the more expensive ones I tried, bass-y sounds are brilliant.

Think they're about £40 normally, but got them from Game while on sale.

They use the same audio jack as the normal microphone (in the control pad) and whilst they're not wireless, charging both the controller and headphones is a pain in the ass, as my PS3 headset was wireless.

They've already been delivered :)

• Like 1

See, that's what happens when you don't order something from Israel. 

• Like 1

Wow, that was quick. 

Worth mentioning there is an app for the headset. It changes the graphic equaliser to be optimal for certain 'big' games. It's not essential but it's free. 

• Like 1

I like them so far.

Only issue I had was switching it so that all the audio played through the headphones meant the party chat was drowned out by the in game music/sound effects.

I'm sure that's something I can adjust with some tinkering but I was mid game so didn't have a chance.
But yeah, they're very comfy, crystal clear and Jon tells me I sound really sexy over chat now. And "setup" was pretty much non existent. Plug them in and turn them on. They just worked.

• Like 1

Can you use the PS4 headphones for non PS4 related activities?

I haven't tried it but yes I think so.

I think they'll work wirelessly with anything that has a USB slot (they're not bluetooth, it has a USB dongle that it connects to). It also comes with a normal aux cable for connecting to an audio jack.

I like them so far.

Only issue I had was switching it so that all the audio played through the headphones meant the party chat was drowned out by the in game music/sound effects.

I'm sure that's something I can adjust with some tinkering but I was mid game so didn't have a chance.
But yeah, they're very comfy, crystal clear and Jon tells me I sound really sexy over chat now. And "setup" was pretty much non existent. Plug them in and turn them on. They just worked.

Yeah, you can adjust that on the fly.  There are four buttons and a switch on the left ear, the large 'volume rocker' style button at the front will adjust balance between voice chat and game volume. 

• Like 1

Ah didn't realise that. I found the general volume rocker but didn't see a balance one. But I didn't get much of a chance to play around.

Cheers

Edit: I can even see it on that picture you posted :thumb:

Edited by Stevo985

FWIW the all the buttons and switches.

Sound/Chat: adjust balance between sound and chat.

Volume: volume, duh. 

Mute: mutes microphone

2 1 off: selects sound mode.  Probably the reason why I decided to right this post, off is off, obviously. 1 is stereo mode and 2 is virtual surround mode.

VSS: Virtual surround sound is on by default if you put the switch into position #2 (I'm not sure why you wouldn't do this if playing a game on PS4) and the VSS button is just a way to toggle it off if you need to (I'm not sure why you would ever need to, but it's obviously there for a reason even if I can't think of it).  You get a little icon which looks like a flying saucer in the top corner of your TV if VSS is on.  VSS is dependent on the game having decent sound design of course and I'm pretty sure the main thing it does is tell the game you are wearing headphones rather than using the TV, an amp and separate speakers or a soundbar but I've found pretty much everything you'd buy on a disc supports it, maybe some of the smaller games you'd get on PS+ only have stereo sound but even then I think the headphones sound miles better than TV speakers anyway. 

They do work as normal headphones, the box is bundled with a 3.5m male to male jack, you just plug one end into the headset and the other into your phone (or whatever).  They should work even if they are switched "off" this way.  I've not checked but I'd presume they'd work if you plugged them into the bottom of a PS4 controller while off with the jack connecting them. 

Just saw on HUKD that Amazon are selling the 500GB PS4 (new model) with Black Ops 3 and Fallout 4 for £279.99 i believe (might be a tenner more can't remember). Brilliant deal, but I've just bought a vita since the PS4 would be too much of a distraction for me.

Just saw on HUKD that Amazon are selling the 500GB PS4 (new model) with Black Ops 3 and Fallout 4 for £279.99 i believe (might be a tenner more can't remember). Brilliant deal, but I've just bought a vita since the PS4 would be too much of a distraction for me.

Got mine delivered today, Black Ops ops is going straight to CEX for £36 cash. Bargain. Was going to wait until Black Friday but I doubt you'll get that much better.

Sony have admitted that PS 2 emulation software is now available, which is what is running the recent star wars classic pack thing. PS1 emulation is already possible, so it begs the question, would they develop such a thing for a couple of old star wars games? Seems unlikely...and although ps now probably rules out PS3 emulation, Sony may feel some action is necessary in light of the xbone backwards compatibility 

Â