Weekends footnall 8/9 December

andykeenan

Oooh, and I just remembered my auntie (from Dewsbury) is a Bradford fan, she is currently loving it on Facebook and has pointed out that Arsenal are now 90 years without a win at Valley Parade. :lol:

• Like 1

I just saw Chelsea are playing in the World Club Championship, yeah, it's a bit Mickey Mouse but they are currently trouncing Monterrey (Mexico) 3-0 with about ten minutes to play. Mata, Torres and O.G.

3-1 final score. Some guy I never heard off got the consolation goal for Monterrey in the last minute of injury time.

The Torres goal was so Lucky.

Was it? He drilled it from about 15 yards and it deflected over the already diving goalkeeper, it might have gone in at the near post anyway, or the keeper might have spilled it to Mata who was following in. It looked to me like the shot was on target, so it's definitely Torres' goal. It didnt strike me as him having any more good luck than the bad luck he had when his shot hit the angle of post and bar against Sunderland at the weekend.

I thought Hazard had too easy a time skinning the fullback to set the whole thing up though, the goal was only about 20 seconds into the second half and Monterrey shouldnt have been caught that badly out of position, should they?

Oh, and Mata's goal was delicious. Great interplay between the Chelsea midfield again. Sexy football. :)

Edited by The_Rev

That was the European Super Cup, which was played between Chelsea and Atletico Madrid this season (Atletico thrashed Chelsea, Falcao scored a hat trick) but this is a similar thing.

The Club World Cup is another Community Shield type affair where you dont really give a shit if you lose in the final. The winners of the Champions League (or equivalents) of Europe, South America, North & Central America, Africa, Asia and Oceania are all invited to play, as are a host team who are typically the champions of the league of the country that are hosting the tournament. It has been Japan for the last couple of years but it's moving to Morocco next season. The defending champions are not invited back if they fail to win their associations Champions League.

It's also heavily seeded in favour of certain teams and you could argue the entire tournament is engineered so that the final will be between the Champions of Europe and the Champions of South America, both of who get a bye to opposite semi finals.

Basically the whole thing is an excuse to get star players and teams to appear in countries which love football but have a shitty domestic league. I doubt 100,000 people will line the streets of Kensington if Chelsea come back with the trophy next week.

it can kick up some interesting finals, santos vs barca last year was ok, corinthians vs chelsea on paper should be decent, seeing as everything else in football is money orientated its hard not to point the finger that way as to why they expanded it but i spose it does make sense

the biggest problem is that if it isnt a european winner with a SA runner up you cant help but think that they **** up / didnt take it seriously

the biggest problem is that if it isnt a european winner with a SA runner up you cant help but think that they **** up / didnt take it seriously

dont see that at all. this is a shop window for most of South American players so they usually play their best game possible though last 2 seasons Internacional and Santos were quite poor.

Basically, once there was the Intercontinental Cup, a one-off Community Shield-type game between the European and South American champions, sponsored by Toyota and played in Japan. FIFA then decided they wanted a piece of the action and set up the CWC involving all the continents.

The first couple of tournaments were 8 team with group stage and the FIFA plan was to have defending champions and rotate it. When the tv partner went belly up, the Toyota format returned for a couple of years before FIFA scaled it down to the current format.

Â