Euro 2020 - 'A Euro for Europe'

hogso

Uefa to hold 2020 European Championship across continent

Football's 2020 European Championship tournament will be held in a number of cities across the continent, Uefa has announced.

It means there will be no one country hosting the tournament.

The Football Association has already put forward Wembley to European governing body Uefa as a possible venue for the final.

Uefa's executive committee took the decision at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Thursday.

Wales, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland have also expressed their interest to Uefa in staging matches.

Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino told a press conference after the meeting: "Some important decisions have been taken.

"Uefa Euro 2020 will be staged across the continent, in various major cities, following a decision taken today. A Euro for Europe follows an initial idea by Uefa president Michel Platini.

"The response has been extremely positive from all the national associations."

He added the bidding process for the host cities would start in March and decisions would be made in the spring of 2014.

sauce

Might be interesting as a one off, but as a permanent fixture (not that that is mentioned in the article, though) would not be beneficial I believe - part of the magic of tournament football is the difference in culture and identity each host country/countries brings

Load of crap. The only winners will be UEFA and the airlines. Loads more local sponsors to sit in tier 2 under the central group - adidas, Hyundai, Coca Cola, Mastercard etc and more chance of full stadia as the market won't be as saturated with tickets.

They might as well start calling it Moneyball and have done with it.

Credit to them its a very brave move and could work due to the novelty of it, it could benefit fans in countries that have no hope of hosting it due to size like us, Scotland or even Belgium.

Maybe it will have to be regionalised like Scandinavia and western Europe to make easier travel

In all fairness, I'm not arsed. I love international football and all this says to me (like Qatar 2022) is that football is a television sport first and foremost these days. Yes, there are a dozen or so sets of a few thousand fans who might not be able to watch every one of their countries games in 2020, but wont that be countered by a dozen or so sets of tens of thousands of fans who might get a game on their doorstep for the first time in their lives? Great cities with world class stadia like Glasgow, Dublin, Cardiff, Belgrade, Bucharest (etc) will get to host games for the first time because they wont be hamstrung by being in countries which cant realistically host an entire tournament.

By my reckoning there will be 36 group matches (assuming 24 teams qualify for the finals) and either 15 or 16 knockout games (depending on whether you have a 3rd/4th playoff or not) which you could comfortably spread around 20 or so stadia. You could have groups centred around clusters of "local" cities (ie, you could have a group who only play in Dublin, Cardiff & Glasgow and another who only play in Scandanavia) before moving to the mega stadiums for the business end of the tournament. I guess the biggest question is how much home advantage do you give? Do you try to have France playing in France, England playing in England and so on, or do you try to avoid it?

new stadiums arent really needed except if Italy want to get a few games, all the other major cities London, Berlin, Barcelona, Munich, Madrid, Paris and Amsterdam all have up to date or no repairs needed stadia

It's Platini's gig. No way he'd have the final at wembley. Soon as I saw this I was fairly convinced the final would be in St Denis

2016 final is there and for a guy who hates England and Wembley why is 2 Champions League finals in 3 years at the stadium?

this anti-english agenda people think Platini has against you is childish and petulant (not just you but its a media thing)

Â