Movie Soundtracks and Scores

maqroll

My all time Lord of the Rings score by Howard Shore. Obviously I've seen the films countless times but the soundtrack/score is perfect. Then you've got the cliche classics, Morricones work is always memorable and broad, Rota's Godfather scores are excellent. Bernard Hermann's entire catalogue. John Williams and practically all his work. Current favourite is probably the work of Michael Giacchino who cut his teeth on a lot of the Pixar films like Incredibles and Up. His scores for both Spider-Man and Batman have been excellent.(following in the footsteps of Danny Elfman) Then you've got unique one-of-a-kind ones like Daft Punks Tron Legacy and Vangelis for Blade Runner that are like nothing else

Video game soundtracks have come on so much, John Paesano's Spider-Man one is excellent and helps elevate the game. Skyrim and Oblivions soundtracks by Jeremy Soule have a special place in my heart too as does the music tracks on Radio New Vegas from Fallout New Vegas

Bottom line - go looking for as much as you can as composers and artists consistently pump out brilliant audio work for movies and games

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The best? no, I don't know how you'd judge that. But a favourite of mine, definitely, it just suited the series so perfectly. It also helps that it's by a favourite artist of mine. Mogwai do a lot of soundtrack work bt this one was just spot on for the viuals.

NS01NjA3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Agreed. I checked out Mogwai as a result of that series. Decided they weren't something I'd listen to for pleasure, but that soundtrack was fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bielesibub said:

For a computer game, Wipeout 2097 takes some beating, it got me listening to more music other than Goth / Punk.

First 3 Wipeout soundtracks are immense.  Think Wip3out might just edge it for me if forced to pick one (Xpander!), but I routinely listen to an assortment of stuff from the first three games.

• Like 2

Two things about Wipeout.

A regular CD player will read the music on  the Playstation game disc when you skip track 1.

Cold Storage went back and fine tuned a couple of volumes worth...

• Like 2

A soundtrack to an imaginary film?

Drokk by Ben Salisbury (Does lots of work on BBC David Attenborough shows amongst many others) and Geoff Barrow  (Portishead and Beak>)

An imaginary soundtrack to a Judge Dredd film

The pair are now regular collaborators and have done a few scores proper

geoffbarrow_drokk__big_grande_c62e1336-d

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

What are some of your favourite soundtracks of all time?* However uber-hipster obscure or commercially popular—it's all good. (Maybe it's just one single song from a soundtrack, too, such as Lulu's "To Sir, With Love," etc.) Please just add a YouTube link if available in whole or part! 

Always looking for a good film soundtrack to add to the playlist. Thanks! 

* Edit: Games soundtracks welcome, too!

Bioshock. Garry Schyman I think (stand to be corrected). Almost singlehandedly responsible for elevating a game which could just be seen as sinister into a tragedy of lost causes and waste. 

• Like 1

Another favourite is, the once thought to be lost forever, score to Les Chemins du Katmandou by Serge Gainsbourg and his sometime collaborator Jean-Claude Vannier

A '60s psychedelic classic, so good that they managed to track down the mater tapes that were long thought to have been destroyed in a studio fire

• Like 1

Can I also give a shout out to my mate Mark Willott, who is a composer? He is a local lad (Black Country) who has won an Emmy Award for work on American sports broadcasting, provided scores for games including Grid Legends, Cold Winter,  Dirt, the Codemasters F1 games, as well as movies such as Snow Queen. 

He's also released his own stuff (see spotify for details), and tours around with his band Butterfly Stone. 

Check him out if you have a sec. 

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, but Dr Google should see you right.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

A soundtrack to an imaginary film?

Drokk by Ben Salisbury (Does lots of work on BBC David Attenborough shows amongst many others) and Geoff Barrow  (Portishead and Beak>)

An imaginary soundtrack to a Judge Dredd film

The pair are now regular collaborators and have done a few scores proper

geoffbarrow_drokk__big_grande_c62e1336-d

This is slightly more complicated than that.

It's a soundtrack they were working on for 2012s brilliant Dredd film, which the film makers then decided to switch for another soundtrack (which is actually quite good as well). This album then took the work they'd done for the movie and finished it off basically. I believe there's fan edits of the film that replace the soundtrack with this, which shows how close it was too being the official score.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

The best? no, I don't know how you'd judge that. But a favourite of mine, definitely, it just suited the series so perfectly. It also helps that it's by a favourite artist of mine. Mogwai do a lot of soundtrack work but this one was just spot on for the visuals.

NS01NjA3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Believe it or not, Mogwai are one of the loudest bands I've ever seen live. I think I permanently lost some hearing at one of their gigs. I reckon it's because they set up so you can hear all of the nuance of the quiet sections, so when they unleash it's (literally) deafening. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This is slightly more complicated than that.

It's a soundtrack they were working on for 2012s brilliant Dredd film, which the film makers then decided to switch for another soundtrack (which is actually quite good as well). This album then took the work they'd done for the movie and finished it off basically. I believe there's fan edits of the film that replace the soundtrack with this, which shows how close it was too being the official score.

Yeah, that was the story as I thought it was but there was no mention of it on the Invada website, so I thought I may have been mistaken

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Believe it or not, Mogwai are one of the loudest bands I've ever seen live. I think I permanently lost some hearing at one of their gigs. I reckon it's because they set up so you can hear all of the nuance of the quiet sections, so when they unleash it's (literally) deafening. 

They are loud but whatever you do, if you think that was loud, don't go and see Swans. I'd say Godspeed You! Black Emperor are equally as loud as Mogwai.too

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

They are loud but whatever you do, if you think that was loud, don't go and see Swans. I'd say Godspeed You! Black Emperor are equally as loud as Mogwai.too

I'd quite like to see GYBE. And whilst on a theme, Explosions in the Sky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Explosions in the Sky

Not seen them but their albums are either great or very dull (the last one proper - the Wilderness anyway)

They've done some soundtrack work too but I'm not really familiar with it

• Like 2

Â