Movie Soundtracks and Scores

maqroll

My most recent entry in the albums thread:

moochin02-230x230.jpg

various artists

jazz on film vol 2 : beat, square & cool

the groundbreaking jazz-inspired film scores that became the original soundtrack to youth rebellion & the beat generation of the 1950s.

5cd set including digitally remastered cuts from ‘the wild one’ (leith stevens/shorty rogers) ’crime in the streets’ (franz waxman) ’i want to live’ (johnny mandel) ’les tricheurs’ (norman granz’ jatp) ’paris blues’ (duke ellington) ’the subterraneans’ (andré previn) ’shadows’ (charles mingus) ’the connection’ (freddie redd).

How long you got?

Barry Gray - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ck9vyub7M, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT_1hqUDarQ, 'Space 1999'

Roy Budd - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SczfLqZ0B88,

Stu Phillips -

Les Baxter - 'Hells Belles', Manfred Hubler & Siegfried Schwab - 'Vampyros Lesbos', Lubos Fiser - 'Valerie & Her Week Of Wonders', Herbie Hancock - 'Blow Up', Dudley Moore - 'Bedazzled'.

The Italian stuff by: Trovajoli, Piccione, Alessandroni, Bacalov, Umiliani & Morricone.

French Stuff by: Lai, Roger Roger, Arel, Piot, Guiot, Leuter, Legrand and deRoubaix.

The God of cool soundtrack is Lalo Schifrin. 'Dirty Harry', 'Magnum Force' and the original 'Mission Impossible' are as good as it gets.

Shouts to Delia Derbyshire, Ron Grainer, Ron Goodwin, Suzanne Ciani, Bernard Herrmann, Johnny Pate, Quincy Jones, Michael Stearns, Vangelis, Syd Dale, Brian Eno, Erich Korngold, Dmitri Shostakovich, Laxmikant Pyarelal, Basil Kirchin, Hugo Montenegro, Arvo Part, Ligeti, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Luiz Bonfa, the libraries - KPM, Bosworth, Chappell, Amphonic and their counterparts abroad.

:)

Dirty Harry (Most of Schifrin's stuff is superb, but Scorpios Theme beats all)

Once Upon a Time in the West / America (Morricone has to be in there, the pure brilliance and sense of humour in his scores is incredible)

Assault on Precinct 13 (in fact most early Carpenter)

Haywire and Out of Site (David Holmes continues to morph himself into a new age Schifrin)

Psycho, Cape Fear, Taxi Driver (Bernard Herrmann)

• Like 1

A whole soundtrack is tough.

Drive would defintiely be on the list.

Pulp Fiction is probably a bit cliché, but it's bloody good!

I'm of the opinion that the Jurassic Park theme is the best piece of movie music ever. it does something to me. But I wouldn't vouch for it's whole soundtrack.

Well, I won't surprise anyone when I say Highlander.

But also Young guns 2. That album was very good, although only two, and far from the best two, made it to the film.

The good, the bad, the ugly.

Braveheart.

Star Wars.

LOTR.

And I too really liked the theme of Jurassic Park.

Also:

Game, Set and Match (80s TV spy series, music by Richard Harvey)

The Harder They Come (Jimmy Cliff, Toots, etc. - the only sort of reggae I like much)

For a Few Dollars More (Morricone)

Shaft (Isaac Hayes)

The Beyondness of Things (John Barry - cheating a bit - it was his music for "The Horse Whisperer", but they didn't use it!)

American Graffiti (although this is really just a 50s rock'n'roll compilation)

Ascenseur pour l'echafaud (Miles Davis)

I completely negleted to mention the best ever soundtrack, ever. Not a movie though, but a TV series was mentioned above, so hey. Unfortunately no youtube linkies as I am at work, though

album-flcl-original-soundtrack-v3.jpg

Disco

The only soundtrack I physically own, and all 3 Vols at that.

I'm of the opinion that the Jurassic Park theme is the best piece of movie music ever. it does something to me. But I wouldn't vouch for it's whole soundtrack.

There is absolutely no doubt.

• Like 1

Â