January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Just because I'm clutching at straws and desperate for activity, I'm clinging on to this thought.......if there is no money to spend, surely this could be communicated over the phone??

Why then did lambert need to fly to America to be told there's no money? just to have a coffee and see Lerners house?

Maybe just maybe we are doing a little something but in our own very private way?

O well it's something.

He went over to talk about the weather.

In fairness when you look at Spurs, that's the model we should be trying to follow, when Spurs finished 4th in 09/10 they had a wage cost of 67m versus us who finished 6th the same season with a wage cost of 80m. Respective teams are below.

Spurs:

Gomes, Cudicini.

Dawson, Wodgate, Corluka, Chimbonda, Naughton, Hutton, King, Walker, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto, Bassong.

Bale, O'Hara, Jenas, Lennon, Bentley, Huddlestone, Rose, Palacious, Modric, Kranjcar.

Keane, Gudjohnsen, Crouch, Defoe, Dos Santos, Pavlychenko.

Villa:

Friedel, Guzan.

Warnock, Davies, Young, Dunne, Collins, Cuellar, Beye, Shorey.

Young, Sidwell, Salifou, Albrighton, Downing, Petrov, Milner, Gardner, Reo-Coker, Delph.

Carew, Heskey, Agbonlahor, Delfouneso.

Talksport and BBC sport both reporting Warnock is close to a move to Leeds on loan. Talksport also reporting Real Mallorca showing an interest in Alan Hutton. This gives me hope that if we get Hutton's 30k off the books and Leeds to pay 10-15k of Warnock's Wage, we may just go out and sign someone, even if it's only on loan.

Talksport and BBC sport both reporting Warnock is close to a move to Leeds on loan. Talksport also reporting Real Mallorca showing an interest in Alan Hutton. This gives me hope that if we get Hutton's 30k off the books and Leeds to pay 10-15k of Warnock's Wage, we may just go out and sign someone, even if it's only on loan.

Think that Hutton transfer is a load of tripe to be honest, Ramis was captain there before he joined Wigan and was only on €7.5k a week so how they could convince Hutton to join would be beyond me.

Think that Hutton transfer is a load of tripe to be honest, Ramis was captain there before he joined Wigan and was only on €7.5k a week so how they could convince Hutton to join would be beyond me.

I imagine Hutton would be prepared to take some kind of wage drop, rather than being left to rot in our reserves for the next 6 months.

7.5k though is very low if they are the sort of wages they pay there.

Yup apart from Madrid clubs and Barac wages in La Liga apparantly a lot less then here , why we not exploited that market like Swansea I don't know ..

Swansea in Lerner time here have come through all the leagues ,changed manager mulitple times and now have better squad than us and are in LC final 

Beggers belief the level of incompetence on our Board.Never mind Spurs out performing us ,making more than us and spending less on wages.

Spurs are a bit of a bad comparison...as a London club things are a bit different. The lure of London over Birmingham is massive to both players and investors/sponsors. They also seem to have a bigger following than we do. Being London, ticket prices are higher as is the case with most things in London, although if they own their ground (which I think they do) it means they have more money per game coming in as revenue (as the 'higher prices' argument doesn't hit them, as they don't really have to 'pay' anything to host the game), aided by the better transport links and locality of a lot more of their supporters.

Although yes, they spent smart, on foreign players with potential, O'Neil spent badly on British players with high fees/wages and more candles on their birthday cakes.

Oh an they have Daniel Levy, a bit of a cut throat bastard when it comes to transfers as opposed to 'nice guy' Paul Faulkner'

Spurs are a bit of a bad comparison...as a London club things are a bit different. The lure of London over Birmingham is massive to both players and investors/sponsors. They also seem to have a bigger following than we do. Being London, ticket prices are higher as is the case with most things in London, although if they own their ground (which I think they do) it means they have more money per game coming in as revenue (as the 'higher prices' argument doesn't hit them, as they don't really have to 'pay' anything to host the game), aided by the better transport links and locality of a lot more of their supporters.

Although yes, they spent smart, on foreign players with potential, O'Neil spent badly on British players with high fees/wages and more candles on their birthday cakes.

Oh an they have Daniel Levy, a bit of a cut throat bastard when it comes to transfers as opposed to 'nice guy' Paul Faulkner'

Not so sure about that, they only have 34k capacity I think? first time I'd been this season and the stadium is up there with one of the worst for a prem club. I guess they prob still make a fair bit from it though.

Warnock confirmed loaned to Leeds, should free up alot of wages for someone. If there ever was a time for signing someone for those wages it would be now.

Can't see them paying more than half of his wages so wouldn't get my hopes up.

Because its not the 31st and nobody no matter how ITK will never truely now what is going on, however slim the chances, there is still a chance.

Exactly.  Anything can happen between now and the end of the window.  If we got rid of Warnock, Hutton, Bent or Ireland then I would be shocked if we didnt sign any players.