January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I find the lack of communication the most upsetting

Lerner has treated the supporters with utter contempt and a lack of respect

I don't care how many billions he has you treat people as you expect to be treated yourself

To be fair to Lerner at least he's consistent because he never communicated with the fans when we were challenging up top either .

My guess is we're not spending anything because we haven't managed to clear any big earners off the wage bill.

Not that I agree with this policy. We need players in now, but I think that's probably what is happening.

But this is the thing, we only have Hutton and Warnock left to shift in my opinion, Ireland, Given and N'Zogbia are all part of Lambert's plans so it seems as he plays them often, Bent is still 50/50 and it can't be said for sure that we actually want rid of him, and obviously Dunne is injured so nothing can be done about him anyway.

If our policy is we cannot spend until Hutton and Warnock leave then we may as well give up!

But this is the thing, we only have Hutton and Warnock left to shift in my opinion, Ireland, Given and N'Zogbia are all part of Lambert's plans so it seems as he plays them often, Bent is still 50/50 and it can't be said for sure that we actually want rid of him, and obviously Dunne is injured so nothing can be done about him anyway.

If our policy is we cannot spend until Hutton and Warnock leave then we may as well give up!

Ireland, Given and N'Zogbia haven't played a great deal under Lambert. They're all big earners and if an offer came in for them I expect we'd sell. Same goes for Bent.

If one or two of these players left I think we'd see signings but clearly that's not going to happen. As I said, I don't agree with it but this is what I think is happening.

I think that is exactly our policy.

The same as the summer when we had to wait for Collins to go before we could bring Vlaar in.

We won't be signing anyone until someone else is off the books.

Perhaps but it's a suicidal strategy..

Also think we had planned on binning Bent but we can't sell him without strengthening a relegation rival

You could also turn that around a little.

For example, why would Redknapp knowing that we have Scrooge as our chairman, give a relegation rival 6m-8m for Bent, thereby taking a player off us who is deemed surplus to requirements, which would then allow us to spent that 6m-8m to strengthen our team elsewhere?

You could also turn that around a little.

For example, why would Redknapp knowing that we have Scrooge as our chairman, give a relegation rival 6m-8m for Bent, thereby taking a player off us who is deemed surplus to requirements, which would then allow us to spent that 6m-8m to strengthen our team elsewhere?

I don't think transfer fees are the problem it's the wages.

I think that is exactly our policy.

The same as the summer when we had to wait for Collins to go before we could bring Vlaar in.

We won't be signing anyone until someone else is off the books.

but we signed lowton and bennett; and warnock and hutton are still at the club.

im not sure there is any set policy or plan - just lerner and faulkner making it up as they go along and seeing us lurch from one disaster to another. they are even stupider than we all thought if they dont spend this window, because we will go down if not.

But if transfer fees aren't the problem and say we had £20m to spend on transfers. Why don't we spend £18m on 2-3 players with wages totalling £2m for half a season knowing that Warnock and Dunne are leaving in the summer? Not as simple as that I know but there needs to be a little bit of common sense from Lerner.

Edited by jacketspuds

Apparently its both Mantis.

According to 'Hairyhands' and 'VillaCas' Lerner has withdrawn funding.

We shall see?

If we lose tonight again then we simply must spend.

In another thread its stated that there is a rumour going around that Newcastle are talking to Bent's representatives?

Regardless of whether we lose tonight we should still spend!

30 points across 38 games says we're simply not good enough....

In total agreement.

Was coming from the point of view that another defeat should force Lerner's hand to cheque book since he is apparently not going to spend anything.

• Like 1

theres half a douzen players we need off the books, but its doesnt look like theyre leaving till the summer, so this window is completely void

given - nobody wants to match the wages

warnock - nobody wants

dunne - contract expiry in summer

hutton - nobody wants

makoun - wont ever see again

delph

delfouneso

delph and fonz just arent very good and shouldnt be at this club

can anyone tell me please what the joint total of wages is per week with the above players?

cheers

We were one of the biggest spenders in the summer though. We should be able to do better with what we have.

That is a totally miss leading stat though.

It pay no attention to the number of players leaving, the number of players that needed to be signed with the money or the threadbare squad full of average kids and crap older players he inherited.

I think Given's £50k, Hutton £40k. Not sure about the rest. Wouldn't be surprised if it's over £200k/month (and the figures quoted always exclude things like employers NI, so add another 13%-ish)

We were one of the biggest spenders in the summer though. We should be able to do better with what we have.

thing is, under oneill, everytime a good player was sold, a below average player was replacement, cahill and davies that transaction cost us £10m and we was worst off, so weve now come to the point that all our decent players have gone been replaced with pub players, our starting 11 is half the team it was when oneill first took over

so weve now come to a point were we need a complete overhaul and rebuild, had it not been for oneill, then all PL would of needed to do was tweak the team here and there, ie, replacing dunne with a younger defender, but now thats an impossibility