January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Martin O'Neill signed someone from league one and just look how good Fabian Delph turned out to be!

To be fair, many a good player as made the transition from lower league to Premier League. Tim Cahill always looked a decent player for Millwall but only Moyes had the balls to go in for him. In my opinion, a lower league signing is potentially as good as any other type of signing, in the fact that it's hit or miss whether they turn out to be a success. For every player that makes the transition - Cahill - there's going to be a player that doesn't - Delph.

I remember watching Delph when he played for Leeds. They had another player there at the time who I thought looked a better prospect. I think he may have even been on loan at the time. He is now a Premier League player with Southampton and still looks decent - Jason Puncheon.

I have no concerns about Lambert buying from the lower leagues. My concern is that you need that Premier League experience and nous around them to help them settle in and that is something we just don't have enough of.

On Kelvin Leerdam...

http://www.feyenoordpings.nl/s/1287

Feyenoord Kelvin Leerdam may finally leave at Feyenoord. Coach Ronald Koeman has indicated he no longer needed. The multifunctional player recently refused to extend his contract at Feyenoord. His current contract runs next summer, so Feyenoord has prepared him this month to sell something to hold on to the Utrecht.

It was announced earlier that Werder Bremen Twente Feyenoord and Vitesse unnecessary to take over. Now reports that the British Metro Aston Villa Leerdam take over. He would then be possible teammate of former Feyenoord Vlaar, El Ahmadi and Holman. Aston Villa has performed poorly in the Premier League and would therefore like players want to win this month.

That's a rough translation from Google Translate!

I'm not quite sure what you spect of a discussion forum. Perhaps you think that everyone must have the same opinion as you for it to be a good one. That's what this seems to imply.

What this thread really needs perhaps is more posts from teenage bullshitters on Twitter pretending to be 'in the know' claiming the likes of Peter Whittingham are about to sign and will do when he's back off holiday.

Lovely!

Morning Pilchard.. :wave:

I wanted to add the way I see it to the debate about the lower league players:

The problem isn't who we've signed but THE REST OF THE TEAM. As in, all those academy players that really shouldn't be in the team. I feel awkward saying it but only Weimann should be there out of the academy players, and people like Clark and Baker on the fringes breaking through.

All this hysteria about the lower league players is pointless - we had one window, signed eight players, spent one of the highest amounts in the prem and the team still needs massive rebuilding. The way I see it - the rebuilding work is definitely in progress and will take time.

I trust Lambert to sort us out. We do have experienced players and they are all injured (how can anyone not see that?). The level of faith put on youth has been forced on Lambert because of injuries (to the extreme level it has done), and I think it is quite sensible trying to implement a sustainable transfer policy (unlike the last god knows how many years, which has left us with horrendous deadwood and **** the wage bill up).

His signings, Vlaar, Westwood, Lowton, Benteke all look like some of the most consistent and promising performers in the team. It's a shame KEA went off the boil because he should have been significant. Not every transfer works out and he obviously still has time to make an impression anyhow. If his signings look the most consistent and promising then it's the squad players like Bannan, Delph, Herd, Lichaj, Albrighton, Stevens - all that lot who play too many games at the moment. We don't even need the experience particularly, just BETTER PLAYERS! (Although an experienced CB would be very good)

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 3

• Here is a prediction
  • PL is waiting to see who returns from injury, so far, Gabby, Bent and Nzog back,
  • if we win today, panic subsiding slightly, no new signings, more players back from injury
  • Positive result against Bradford in first leg, Vlaar and Baker return (still nobody signed).
  • 3 Points at home to Southampton (no new players).
  • Westwood returns collect a point at WBA
  • Win at Bradford to get into Cup final and neat Newcastle (no new signings).
  • to date no players signed and window used as a smoke screen to take pressure off players
  • Window closes and no one in or out, and PL sits in press conf with big smile on his face (hard to imagine i know)

• Here is a prediction
  • PL is waiting to see who returns from injury, so far, Gabby, Bent and Nzog back,
  • if we win today, panic subsiding slightly, no new signings, more players back from injury
  • Positive result against Bradford in first leg, Vlaar and Baker return (still nobody signed).
  • 3 Points at home to Southampton (no new players).
  • Westwood returns collect a point at WBA
  • Win at Bradford to get into Cup final and neat Newcastle (no new signings).
  • to date no players signed and window used as a smoke screen to take pressure off players
  • Window closes and no one in or out, and PL sits in press conf with big smile on his face (hard to imagine i know)

Wouldn't think that would happen as Lambert has said before he needs to strengthen the side...

I've a feeling that something will develop in the next few days but probably not with any players named by the press.

Stephens?? That one is pretty likely!!

Does anyone think that per say we did get Coutinho, would that be our marquee signing? He would certainly sell shirts!

Edited by Mattyp_avfc

I hate saying this but I can't see us spending over £8m on Coutinho. Lambert is surely going to want at least 3 decent signings and that will cost good money too. Coutinho at that price would probably take our spending for January passed the last summer spend. Unless Lerner tells Lambert he can have the money now but will get less next summer!

I just hope that Lambert brings in a really solid centre back, defensive midfielder and left back, although I appreciate that we already have enough left backs on the books. Trouble is none of them are decent. A creative midfielder would also be much welcomed!

I wanted to add the way I see it to the debate about the lower league players:

The problem isn't who we've signed but THE REST OF THE TEAM. As in, all those academy players that really shouldn't be in the team. I feel awkward saying it but only Weimann should be there out of the academy players, and people like Clark and Baker on the fringes breaking through.

All this hysteria about the lower league players is pointless - we had one window, signed eight players, spent one of the highest amounts in the prem and the team still needs massive rebuilding. The way I see it - the rebuilding work is definitely in progress and will take time.

I trust Lambert to sort us out. We do have experienced players and they are all injured (how can anyone not see that?). The level of faith put on youth has been forced on Lambert because of injuries (to the extreme level it has done), and I think it is quite sensible trying to implement a sustainable transfer policy (unlike the last god knows how many years, which has left us with horrendous deadwood and **** the wage bill up).

His signings, Vlaar, Westwood, Lowton, Benteke all look like some of the most consistent and promising performers in the team. It's a shame KEA went off the boil because he should have been significant. Not every transfer works out and he obviously still has time to make an impression anyhow. If his signings look the most consistent and promising then it's the squad players like Bannan, Delph, Herd, Lichaj, Albrighton, Stevens - all that lot who play too many games at the moment. We don't even need the experience particularly, just BETTER PLAYERS! (Although an experienced CB would be very good)

100% THIS!

The fringe and promoted academy players have shown, very occasionally, that they can be useful. Bannan, Herd, Lichaj, Stevens, Albrighton etc should be part of our squad, to be called upon if injuries get really bad and for a bit of rotation (by 'rotation', I mean, bring one of them into the side. Not all of them).

Then eventually they will be sold and I'm sure we'll make a profit on all of them.

If Lambert can bring in a few more players like Vlaar or Westwood, then we'll be in a much more healthy position.

Regarding BJ_10's comment that Vlaar is no better than Collins. I don't see that at all. Defensively I can see similarities. Vlaar can put his body on the line, like Collins. But with the ball at his feet, Vlaar is 50 times better than Collins. BJ_10, have you not seen Vlaar take on players, run down the wing and make precise passes to team mates?

This is something that Collins very rarely did, and Vlaar has shown it a fair few times in 3 months at the club.

Edited by Rob182

Stephens?? That one is pretty likely!!

Does anyone think that per say we did get Coutinho, would that be our marquee signing? He would certainly sell shirts!

Who? I've never heard of him. Now if we got Joleon Lescott, that would sell shirts for sure. He would be a real signing of intent.