January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Seriously though, we need a no nonsense CDM. We are so brittle in one of the most physical leagues in the world. We have been powderpuff for several seasons. We have been lacking a player like this for ages. No one's come close since Boateng, Taylor before him. NRC was an almost. Please, I beg no one try to say Petrov was this kind player.

Lescott is the perfect signing for Villa I think. At 30 he has the experience and he is a top class goal scoring centre half. Randy would have to decide whether to invest in a player that'll have no resale value but the prize should be a stronger second half of the season and then retain premier league status. Key signing.

• Like 1

It's actually a huge gamble, IF we are interested

If we invest , say £8-10M and then £50K- £60K per week (if he is willing to drop from his 100+ K now) and we do get relegated then we are pretty screwed if he doesn't find a new club in the summer.

Plus if we do stay up that's an investmnent of £18M or so over the life of a 3 year contract that we wont be getting back on a player deteriorating in ability that could have been used on players that would only be getting better.

Huge gamble for me

Lescott will find a new club won't he, they'll be queueing up to take him.

His current Man City contract doesn't run for ever, he isn't going to be on £100k/w (or whatever it is) forever. He needs to plan his next move.

What do you mean by screwed? If we went down (although I really don't think we will) then Randy could easily fund the current squad in the Championship like Mike Ashley did at Newcastle.

Why everybody so worried about players wages all of a sudden? We're not going to get a penny of any wages we pay our players back (maybe a few quid at the training ground canteen).

Players get paid a fortune, thats nothing new. Whoever we sign we'll have to pay them and I'd rather it was a player of Lescotts quality and experience.

We've got Given warming the bench on similar money. This is football, the risks are big and so are the rewards.

Its not like we're looking to gamble £20m on Henderson or £35m on Carroll. Its a fairly safe move.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

I think this season has shown that Lambert really does like to play the percentages. He's made no secret of his intentions and bought accordingly, whilst recognising that not every player he brings in is guaranteed to make it in the Premier League. He's a gambler.

He needs to make one or two 'safe' bets now, though, to instil some much needed confidence. A Lescott or Parker would give the whole squad a lift.

Lescott will find a new club won't he, they'll be queueing up to take him.

His current Man City contract doesn't run for ever, he isn't going to be on £100k/w (or whatever it is) forever. He needs to plan his next move.

What do you mean by screwed? If we went down (although I really don't think we will) then Randy could easily fund the current squad in the Championship like Mike Ashley did at Newcastle.

He cant even fund the current squad in the premiership so how will he fund it in the league below?

He cant even fund the current squad in the premiership so how will he fund it in the league below?

He can, easily. He is just not that keen on the idea. Villa wouldn't be 'screwed' because I believe he'd continue to fund it and build them to get promoted. MON wasted a fortune which we all know about. Its normal for RL to be a bit more cautious about what he spends, doesn't mean he doesn't have the money because we all know he has.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

I think this season has shown that Lambert really does like to play the percentages. He's made no secret of his intentions and bought accordingly, whilst recognising that not every player he brings in is guaranteed to make it in the Premier League. He's a gambler.

He needs to make one or two 'safe' bets now, though, to instil some much needed confidence. A Lescott or Parker would give the whole squad a lift.

Agreed. Lambert is no idiot (unlike some of our previous managers), I'm pretty sure he realises this like we do.

He can, easily. He is just not that keen on the idea. Villa wouldn't be 'screwed' because I believe he'd continue to fund it and build them to get promoted. MON wasted a fortune which we all know about. Its normal for RL to be a bit more cautious about what he spends, doesn't mean he doesn't have the money because we all know he has.

Ok let me rephrase then using your analogy

If he isn't that keen on funding the current squad in the premiership, what will make him keen to fund it in the league below?

With Lescott, i'd imagine contract length is going to be an issue, as well the salary. Ideally we pay something along the lines of 50k and its 3 years, we don't really want to be tied in for that much for any longer as he's 30 now. Realistically though if he's going to take a massive wage cut to come here, and there's no pay-off from City, he'll want 5 years, knowing he's not going to get the same money as a 33 year old free agent, and as he's got to be on something approaching 100k a week now, its alot of money he'd be walking away from.

Signing Joleon Lescott would pretty much be the best defensive signing we could make, realistically. Not that it is realistic, but I hear he is a Villa-fan so you never know. I don't really think footballers nowadays are fans like normal people are, when you live and breathe football you kind of support the club you are playing for in my opinion. I reckon he is more of an Everton-fan than Villa.

Lescott is a leader, he is a strong and tough tackler and he can score goals from set-pieces. A big yes from me, he is 30 years old and at the top of his career.

It's actually a huge gamble, IF we are interested

If we invest , say £8-10M and then £50K- £60K per week (if he is willing to drop from his 100+ K now) and we do get relegated then we are pretty screwed if he doesn't find a new club in the summer.

Surely we'd be putting in relegation clauses in any players contract now?

Lescott would be a great signing.

Would improve us immediately and have a big impact over the next few years. Also allows baker and Clark to develop at a normal pace instead of being thrown in and expected to perform week in week out when they're not ready.

Would be very happy with the signing of lescott.