January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I had a feeling that would come up. Bent is no Van Persie no matter how you look at it. Van Persie is a truly special player who will probably make Man UTD win the Premiership. Would Bent do that? Probably not otherwise bigger clubs would be in for him.

Robin van Persie won't make Man United win the Premiership. A combination of Alex Ferguson and all the good players in the squad will. RVP didn't make Arsenal win the Premiership did he?

Taking the piss is getting £50m for Torres or £35m for Andy Caroll not getting in the region of what we paid for Darren Bent.

I would just like to say, for the benefit of those who think that nobody would touch Bent at a price close to what we paid for him just because he is 28, that Robin van Persie is 29 and he went for well over £20m.

So folks, age is not the barrier here, mindset and having the balls to ask for the right price is.

Darren Bent is not Robin Van Persie.

Rob182, on 03 January 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

So £17m, £16m or £15m is taking the piss?

Yes.

Utter bozswollocks

You're going to be very disappointed, I think.

Darren Bent is not Robin Van Persie.

Thank you for enlightening me.

Darren Bent is no Andy Carroll either so what is your point?

Darren Bent is an England striker and, when played in the right team and not out injured is very likely to score as many as, if not more than, RVP in a league season.

Rob182, on 03 January 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Utter bozswollocks

You're going to be very disappointed, I think.

I am not going to be in the slightest bit disappointed. It's not my money therefore I don't give a toss!

Robin van Persie won't make Man United win the Premiership. A combination of Alex Ferguson and all the good players in the squad will. RVP didn't make Arsenal win the Premiership did he?

Taking the piss is getting £50m for Torres or £35m for Andy Caroll not getting in the region of what we paid for Darren Bent.

Okay, I'll rephrase. Van Persie looks likely to be the difference between Man UTD winning the title this year. Which is exactly what SAF paid all that money for. So his age isn't an issue. Whereas Bent simply isn't that good so his age does come into question.

Thank you for enlightening me.

Darren Bent is no Andy Carroll either so what is your point?

Darren Bent is an England striker and, when played in the right team and not out injured is very likely to score as many as, if not more than, RVP in a league season.

You've thrown this away as if it's not a limiting factor. The bit in bold will have a huge influence over the number and identity of teams willing to buy him, and indirectly therefore the price that will be paid. It directly affects his value as well, probably.

Just because Liverpool stupidly over-spent on Carroll and Chelsea stupidly over-spent on Torres doesn't mean we can expect anyone to over-spend on Bent.

Who do you realistically think would be willing to pay 18m for Darren Bent?

You've thrown this away as if it's not a limiting factor. The bit in bold will have a huge influence over the number and identity of teams willing to buy him, and indirectly therefore the price that will be paid. It directly affects his value as well, probably.

'When played in the right team and not out injured' will apply to any player surely? If played in the wrong team (e.g. Messi at Stoke) then I will agree it does become a limiting factor as does being out injured.

Gary Hooper if Bent goes anyone?

I'd take him. I know he comes from the SPL but the lad knows how to score a goal. He scores quite a variant of goals too and could offer us something a little different. Worth a punt IMO. Would he be willing to leave Celtic just yet though as they have a game against Juventus coming up.

'When played in the right team and not out injured' will apply to any player surely? If played in the wrong team (e.g. Messi at Stoke) then I will agree it does become a limiting factor as does being out injured.

I'd argue that RVP isn't limited in this way to the same extent as Bent. He's a red herring anyway, the point is that not too many teams are geared up in a way that allows Bent to score goal after goal after goal, in my opinion. Certainly not enough to maintain his high price.