January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

I don't think we're weak at leftback, just inexperienced. I see Bennett as a slightly less-experienced Lowton. Bennett has looked fairly cautious in the few games he's played. I think he'll be a decent player, like Lowton, though.

I would like us to strengthen by buying a central midfielder & a wide striker (to play instead of Wiemann) at least.

I don't think we're weak at leftback, just inexperienced. I see Bennett as a slightly less-experienced Lowton. Bennett has looked fairly cautious in the few games he's played. I think he'll be a decent player, like Lowton, though.

I would like us to strengthen by buying a central midfielder & a wide striker (to play instead of Wiemann) at least.

I think we are weak at left back. Bennett to me seems the worst of the three, he was crap at Boro too. My mate who is a Boro fan was not keen on him while he was there. Collects a lot of cards and is quite weak, I think Lichaj and Stevens show more promise than Bennett but I dont think any of them will get as good as Lowton. A left back and a centre back are a must

I would be worried if we bought Altidore. He has been banging them in for AZ the last year or so, but first of all, goals in the Eredivisie don't always translate to success in the PL, as many know. Also, having continued to watch him play for the USMNT, he has not looked that much better than a few years back when he struggled playing for Hull.

Why did we not agree to buy him if that's what they wanted?

Looks like we cheaped out there, if we were prepared to sign him the following year i don't see why we didn't sign him then? Good old Lerner. Back the manager 100% eh?

Well first off, it seems as if Vitesse absolutely shafted us at the last minute when a deal was ready to be finalized, in that case I would be reluctant to pursue the deal if I were Villa/Lambert. Also, Faulkner/Lambert oversee the signing of players, not Lerner. Maybe Lambert was not willing to risk his transfer funds on the player, hence why he wanted the loan with option to buy...

Well first off, it seems as if Vitesse absolutely shafted us at the last minute when a deal was ready to be finalized, in that case I would be reluctant to pursue the deal if I were Villa/Lambert. Also, Faulkner/Lambert oversee the signing of players, not Lerner. Maybe Lambert was not willing to risk his transfer funds on the player, hence why he wanted the loan with option to buy...

Forget all that, let's blame Lerner instead. :rolleyes:

I would be worried if we bought Altidore. He has been banging them in for AZ the last year or so, but first of all, goals in the Eredivisie don't always translate to success in the PL, as many know. Also, having continued to watch him play for the USMNT, he has not looked that much better than a few years back when he struggled playing for Hull.

I don't know why everyone thinks he was so bad for Hull. That side was garbage, only scored 34 all season, but he still managed a goal and seven assists in 16 starts + 12 sub apps in the league as a teenager brand new to England, and having hardly played at all for the previous year or so.

Why did we not agree to buy him if that's what they wanted?

Looks like we cheaped out there, if we were prepared to sign him the following year i don't see why we didn't sign him then? Good old Lerner. Back the manager 100% eh?

I'd say it was more we'd pay a £2mil loan fee and get a look at what we were getting before splashing £10mil on a striker from Holland.

I don't know why everyone thinks he was so bad for Hull. That side was garbage, only scored 34 all season, but he still managed a goal and seven assists in 16 starts + 12 sub apps in the league as a teenager brand new to England, and having hardly played at all for the previous year or so.

While I can't attest to watching him play full matches for AZ (I've only seen highlights of his goals, which are impressive, mind you), most of my opinion on him is based off of what I have seen playing for the US national side. He is not a terrible player and I am sure he has improved greatly since his Hull days, but I just think he is no better than what we have in the likes of say Weimann or Gabby.

Bony and Benteke are very similar players, albeit Bony is more the finished article. Can't see us moving for him in Jan.

I'd like us to go after Mertens/Tadic/lens or Chadli if we're going to raid the dutch league.

Mertens is one I would love. Would not come cheap though.

The thing that would worry me about Keane would be burnout. I think he might fancy a break in this upcoming MLS offseason considering he has been playing non stop this past year or so with the MLS, his loan to Villa, and the Euros. Hasn't really had much time off.

I am a big fan of Mertens and would love him at VP. He already is a good winger and is only getting better.

Mertens as in Dries Mertens, the guy who broke Gary Cahill's jaw (put him out of the Euros) by cowardly pushing him into Joe Hart at full speed in a friendly? The same friendly he spent half the time rolling around on the floor acting like a petulant child? I'd rather have Heskey back.