What was it like here when we were winning?

romavillan

Still the same shit going on back then as there is now and yes we were challenging for top 4 at the time yet the doom merchants still found something to bitch about.

The same fickle shit still goes on now. One minute were doomed and set for relegation, the new signings & manager are written off after 9 games. But yet after game 10 the manager was good and the signings were also deemed acceptable.

Just wait for a defeat in games 11 & 12 possibly and the manager and players will be pounced on again by the same fickle morons.

Stevo's diagram sums it up perfectly.

I think this is most interesting

If a fan is generally not happy the way things are and he/she is criticised for voicing his/her opinion after a defeat..... is it fitting to voice their opinion after a win or is it a case they should NEVER voice their opinion....because that is whats been suggested...it seems there is never a time to be negative, if in fact negativity is a correct description of not being entirely happy.

I would suggest all was not entirely well during O'Neills tenure for various reasons despite some great results that is what encouraged some dissenters. Not all fans bought in to O'Neill 100% some were bit supporters like me.... like him a bit but not soley sold on him as a 100% follower.

Edited by TRO

Still the same shit going on back then as there is now and yes we were challenging for top 4 at the time yet the doom merchants still found something to bitch about.

The same fickle shit still goes on now. One minute were doomed and set for relegation, the new signings & manager are written off after 9 games. But yet after game 10 the manager was good and the signings were also deemed acceptable.

Just wait for a defeat in games 11 & 12 possibly and the manager and players will be pounced on again by the same fickle morons.

Stevo's diagram sums it up perfectly.

Crikey, have you ever actually been to a real football match and seen how fans react during a game? What you describe here happens several times over for most fans during a match - your team goes behind or can't find a way to goal and all is doom and gloom, the manager & players aren't good enough; you score and suddenly your team is the best in the world - it's just the roller coaster of being a passionate football fan, not being a "fickle moron" at all.

i've gone back in some threads to 2009, i recommend it, there's some complete comedy gold.

of course easy with hindsight but people do get really wound up and fixed on a point of view. much more negative than i was expecting in the main though!! christ, we were beating top teams, going on long unbeaten runs, amazing away records, getting in to the late stages of cups, finishing in the european places...

just great stuff really! i certainly enjoyed those years, criticism is one thing, being upset by a result or a performance is completely normal. but to take the time to actual come to a forum and type something involves a bit more premeditation than being in the stadium and thinking "you clearing in the woods, how did you miss". plus some of the stuff that gets said in here isn't just an off the cuff reaction, it's a systematic daily repetition of sometimes bizarre points of view. anyway, the point was i spose that i was surprised just how negative some people were during that time looking back in the forum. far more understandable after the last 2 seasons to be a bit down i spose, i don't think you'll find a villa fan that has enjoyed the last coupel of years!

Crikey, have you ever actually been to a real football match and seen how fans react during a game? What you describe here happens several times over for most fans during a match - your team goes behind or can't find a way to goal and all is doom and gloom, the manager & players aren't good enough; you score and suddenly your team is the best in the world - it's just the roller coaster of being a passionate football fan, not being a "fickle moron" at all.

We should just humour him briny. Now waiting yet again on the 'piss' or 'bollocks' comments.

We should just humour him briny. Now waiting yet again on the 'piss' or 'bollocks' comments.

For someone who moans about other people being condescending, you don't half talk like a word removed sometimes.

• Like 1

The graph isn't really representative though, the normal distribution is far more skewed to the left right about now.

The midpoint would be skewed, but the distribution would be the same.

• Like 1

I think some have taken it the wrong way.

I am in no position to say that people are entitled to an opinion or not whatsoever and never suggested anywhere they couldn't either.

No one was singled out it was more of a case of a minority group that tends to form that I refer to and not a certain group of the same names, well it might possibly be but I don't have time to research that.

I accept there are times of unrest at teams and people throw passion about in all different waves which again I have no problem with whatsoever.

But emotions aside I was commenting on another posters question based on the title of the thread giving my honest passionate opinion.

The end game is IMO that as much of a car crash MON left us in he did gain us three top 6 finnishes in a row, european football we had been craving for years, flirted us with champions league positions for a while and took us to a fa cup semi final and a Carling Cup final (which I attended - one of the many hundreds of times I have been to an actual football match).

Even then some were not happy considering it was our most successful period for a very long time.

We are temporarily in the most worst position (statistic nonsense) at the moment but it won't be long before we are back up there again were we belong, but again there will still be some morons that won't be happy about things as some people you just can't please but that is just part and parcel of football.

The fact I refer to these minority group of people that never seem happy no matter were we are as a club as morons is my own passionate opinion. Sorry if that bothers you.

Is anyone else able to corroborate my hypothesis that for major trophies, (League, European Chalices Of All Marks, League Cup and FA Cup) that we are currently in the longest run of years without a trophy? I believe this is the longest sustained run without us winning anything meaningful in our entire history... Would love to be proven wrong...

And by the way, ridiculously off topic, but a little blood boiling - did anyone else notice on Sky Sports News last night, when they were realing off the list of trophies that 'Sir' Alex Ferguson had won with United, that amazingly, the 1996 league cup final was actually won my Manchester United? Have I shifted into a different universe?

I was **** there! We beat Leeds 3-0 in the 1996 final - we came out to "Roll With It" on the PA system, and we all chanted for the elusive Brian Little to come out onto the pitch for an applause long after the players went down the tunnel.

But no, Sky Sports News love fest with United, Chelsea (rocket polishers), Arsenal, Liverpool and now Citeh just continues unchallenged. Like the Yanks always changing history to suit themselves in Hollywood, Sky are now taking away our League Cup win. The best day of my life... after the birth of my daughter, getting married and the discovery of masturbation. Not all in that order...

I appreciate that the glorious Mans Chest Hair United have won a whole gamut of trophies... But if Sky can't even get the details of their trophies correct in their stories, how can you have any faith that anything they tell you is genuine? Hmmm? Believe in better my arse...

Fiddlesticks...

I don't think we won anything between the FA Cup in 1920 and the FA cup in 1957. So that's 37 years (although I guess you could knock some time off for the war)

That's true, unless anyone wants to count the Division 2 title in 1938.

The League was suspended for 7 seasons and the FA Cup for 6 during the 2nd World War so you could reduce the gap to 31 years at least.

So we've got another 15 seasons to go before we outdo our worst ever spell. :huh:

Thanks for the responses... We're bound to win something in the next 15 years... Aren't we?

When Yorke scored our third against Leeds in 1996, I turned to a youngster 'standing' with his dad in the aisle opposite and told him, 'Always remember this day...'

I always said to myself that I'd be happy just to see Villa win a cup at Wembley in the flesh, just once in my lifetime. And I did... But like a Sith Lord, I wanted more... Dare I ask for more? My other team languish at the bottom of the Conference Premier... Grrrr...

And there's the likely prospect of Citeh moaning because they can't get out of the group stages of the Champions League. Football polarisation.

Â