What was it like here when we were winning?

romavillan

There was a lot to enjoy under Martin O'Neill, but at the same time there were those of us who pointed out that he was spending an awful lot of money on some rubbish players and that it probably wasn't going to end very well. Oh and the General talked an absolute load of old bollocks and the lack of that sort of propaganda these days makes this site a much better place.

There was a lot to enjoy under Martin O'Neill, but at the same time there were those of us who pointed out that he was spending an awful lot of money on some rubbish players and that it probably wasn't going to end very well. Oh and the General talked an absolute load of old bollocks and the lack of that sort of propaganda these days makes this site a much better place.

You complained about the style of football mainly - hardly any posts actually indicating happiness at any point.

And don't try and play this captain hindsight card either - it's simply not true.

You complained about the style of football mainly - hardly any posts actually indicating happiness at any point.

And don't try and play this captain hindsight card either - it's simply not true.

Afraid he's right Risso. I definitely don't remember anything from you along the lines of "There's a lot to enjoy under MON, but although we're pushing for CL football I just fear that it's probably not going to end well because our players are actually rubbish and too expensive." I remember it all being somewhat less constructive than that. Still, the way things with MON turned out everyone is kindof left with reasons to feel vindicated: detractors and fans alike.

Definitely, having to queue a long time for lager is the main feedback I remember from those days.

(Oh, and something about MON being a useless manager whose 6th places and cup final appearances were dragging us down, why can't we get a better manager who will buy European players etc.)

Afraid he's right Risso. I definitely don't remember anything from you along the lines of "There's a lot to enjoy under MON, but although we're pushing for CL football I just fear that it's probably not going to end well because our players are actually rubbish and too expensive." I remember it all being somewhat less constructive than that. Still, the way things with MON turned out everyone is kindof left with reasons to feel vindicated: detractors and fans alike.

I'm mortally certain that I saw an analysis by Risso of our finances back in '08 or '09 and the alarm was being sounded about a ballooning wage bill.

Of course, since the relevant threads have almost surely been pruned, there's nothing to link to...

EDIT: it might have been in a discussion among friends on Facebook... but I'm absolutely certain that Risso was one of the first to express concern about O'Neill's spending habits, even if it wasn't on here.

EDIT: it might have been in a discussion among friends on Facebook... but I'm absolutely certain that Risso was one of the first to express concern about O'Neill's spending habits, even if it wasn't on here.

I remember someone complaining long and loud about MON, his tactics and his spending history - especially how he left Celtic in a poor state - while the rest of us enjoyed the ride.

... though I seem to recall it was kiwivillain (too lazy to look, though).

Ah, where is Kiwivillan now?

And I remember the dreary, round-and-round-we-go arguments:

*MON has bought championship level players at great expense and we are rubbish [Response - funny how we've managed to scrape into the top 6 3 seasons on the trot and got to a cup final]

*MON is bankrupting the club by putting players on vastly high salaries compared with other premiership clubs [Response - it is the chairman and CEO who decide what to pay people, not the manager]

*MON always insists on having complete control of the playing side finances of any club he manages [Response - in that case Randy Lerner needs to get a grip if he is spending beyond his means]

Reflecting on where the club is now, it's a shame some of those messages about getting a financial grip didn't get through to Mr Lerner a bit earlier.

Ah, where is Kiwivillan now?

And I remember the dreary, round-and-round-we-go arguments:

*MON has bought championship level players at great expense and we are rubbish [Response - funny how we've managed to scrape into the top 6 3 seasons on the trot and got to a cup final]

*MON is bankrupting the club by putting players on vastly high salaries compared with other premiership clubs [Response - it is the chairman and CEO who decide what to pay people, not the manager]

*MON always insists on having complete control of the playing side finances of any club he manages [Response - in that case Randy Lerner needs to get a grip if he is spending beyond his means]

Reflecting on where the club is now, it's a shame some of those messages about getting a financial grip didn't get through to Mr Lerner a bit earlier.

But what if L and PF questioned MON on some players if they were necessary to buy and for those sums and got the answer "Pay it or I'll leave"? Which is said to be the case when he signed Beye.

And in the end, something happened and MON isn't here anymore. Whether he was fired or walked is not relevant to that, cause either way it says that RL tried to do something about the spending, doesn't?

I remember someone complaining long and loud about MON, his tactics and his spending history - especially how he left Celtic in a poor state - while the rest of us enjoyed the ride.

... though I seem to recall it was kiwivillain (too lazy to look, though).

couldve been me either. from the day he took over i was banging that drum

But what if L and PF questioned MON on some players if they were necessary to buy and for those sums and got the answer "Pay it or I'll leave"? Which is said to be the case when he signed Beye.

And in the end, something happened and MON isn't here anymore. Whether he was fired or walked is not relevant to that, cause either way it says that RL tried to do something about the spending, doesn't?

1) Randy Lerner was the man in charge, the man with the cheque book. It's an incredible admission of weakness to suggests he gave in to a demand to buy a player he knew he couldn't afford.

2) Yes , RL tried to do something about the spend but he had by that point spent way beyond his means and had to torch the team and sell off all our best players to try to balance the books, creating the mess Paul Lambert is now having to sort out..

1/10 for financial management!

(And for handling managers and managerial appointments.)

Â